PLEASE HELP

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

laurenA

Reaction score
Please Help!
I think my goldfish swallowed something too big for her and she might be chocking or not able to digest it.

She has a bulge in her stomach and isn’t very active (which is unusual).
Earlier today we noticed maybe a tadpole tail stuck in her mouth
(Bulge looks bigger in person)
image.jpg

When did she swallow it? Goldfish are in the carp family so the will on occasion eat a tadpole or eggs but shouldn’t often. Only on really rare occasions will they eat a tadpole.
Fish’s esophagus are pretty narrow so if she did swallow something live it will likely suffocate quickly. The object she swallowed needs to be small enough to go through the digestive tract, other wise surgery is needed to remove it. So if this is a tadpole and not something else keep an eye on it and you might need to get some surgery for her.

Last edited:
When did she swallow it? Goldfish are in the carp family so the will on occasion eat a tadpole or eggs but shouldn’t often. Only on really rare occasions will they eat a tadpole.
Fish’s esophagus are pretty narrow so if she did swallow something live it will likely suffocate quickly. The object she swallowed needs to be small enough to go through the digestive tract, other wise surgery is needed to remove it. So if this is a tadpole and not something else keep an eye on it and you might need to get some surgery for her.
It’s been like 30 maybe since she swallowed it. And she doesn’t seem to be getting worse.
How long should we keep an eye on her?
(She usually lives in a pond not in that little tank.)

Hmmm... I’m not an expert in these things. @Colin_T, I need your help! Keep an eye on her until Colin replies. He can give a better explanation of what to do and how to do it. Sorry. Until then see if she twitches or flops unexpectedly. Has she done this since she swallowed it? If yes then she did swallow something live.

Hmmm... I’m not an expert in these things. @Colin_T, I need your help! Keep an eye on her until Colin replies. He can give a better explanation of what to do and how to do it. Sorry. Until then see if she twitches or flops unexpectedly. Has she done this since she swallowed it? If yes then she did swallow something live.
Thank you so much for your help!
This is our first fish baby so i wanna make sure she’s okay

She’ll be fine. Goldfish, unlike most fish, don’t have stomachs. It will work it’s way through the intestines and out. Pond fish eat bugs larger than tadpoles. :)

Most reactions

Back