Fantail Goldfish Tails

What are the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate results in numbers?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you have substrate on the bottom of the aquarium?
If yes, do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquarium?

How much salt did you add?
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

I'm assuming that is meant to be 140 litres not mls?

----------------------

Fantail goldfish have 2 tails. Your fish only appear to have 1 tail each and they are long tails, which means they are comet goldfish. The comet part of the name is due to the long tail. Neither appear to be shubunkins but they could have some shubunkin blood in them if one of their ancestors was a shubunkin. Goldfish can change colour as they age.

The white fish with a red head is a male and has white breeding tubercles on the side of his gill cover and they should be on the edge of the pectoral (side) fins too.

The primarily orange fish has a dark red patch on the bottom of the tail and also on the top edge of the tail and these are the wrong colour to be normal colouration and appear to be blood. It could be colouration but looks more blood coloured to me. The black patch getting smaller is nothing to worry about. The red might be.
Hi,
Thanks again.
I'm really worried. These two fish have such a big place in my heart. I'm trying my best to quickly understand how to help them get and remain healthy. I don't know whether to just give them Melafix to help her fin rot. I need to get the nitrate down ASAP too but don't know, whether to start adding stability along with Melafix. I don't know, whether to buy Seachem Purigen to attach with a string to the fluval F4.
The poor fish are just waiting, I don't kniw if the Melafix is enough, still 5 days to go.
Sorry to panic but, I've work tomorrow and will be worried whilst away, not that it helps just watching them.
I would really appreciate any further advice on her red tail please and do u think I should I do more for her than Melafix? Day 3 will be tomorrow.
I will of course be tackling the Nitrate levels for them, with immediate and future changes with increased water changes and adding more live plants for them as I can afford.

Last edited:
What are the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate results in numbers?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you have substrate on the bottom of the aquarium?
If yes, do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquarium?

How much salt did you add?
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

I'm assuming that is meant to be 140 litres not mls?

----------------------

Fantail goldfish have 2 tails. Your fish only appear to have 1 tail each and they are long tails, which means they are comet goldfish. The comet part of the name is due to the long tail. Neither appear to be shubunkins but they could have some shubunkin blood in them if one of their ancestors was a shubunkin. Goldfish can change colour as they age.

The white fish with a red head is a male and has white breeding tubercles on the side of his gill cover and they should be on the edge of the pectoral (side) fins too.

The primarily orange fish has a dark red patch on the bottom of the tail and also on the top edge of the tail and these are the wrong colour to be normal colouration and appear to be blood. It could be colouration but looks more blood coloured to me. The black patch getting smaller is nothing to worry about. The red might be.
Hi,
Thank you.
Have just re-tested nitrate levels have in fact since 3 days ago reduced, must be water changes. Phew.
Still very worried about her red tail and if Melafix is enough and if its fin rot, think it is.
I understand, after continuing to read, it's a continued aquarium healthy tank that is the cure and preventative.
Sorry for the earlier confusion on Nitrate levels.
Thanks for your patience and advice

Attachments

• IMG_20240929_215747.jpg
    IMG_20240929_215747.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yes 140 litres, sorry
Water change was 1/3 (well 25litres) every 3 weeks, am thinking to change to 50% every 2 weeks.
This is more like 1/6 every 3 weeks.
Recommended water change schedule for goldies is 50-75% twice a week, so at least 70 litres each and twice a week. If you have a python, or a homemade hose syphon with tap attachment, water changes are more manageable.

I would put the pebbles back in the corner as they will have some beneficial bacteria on them, and a sick fish won't appreciate any possible cycling issues.

This is more like 1/6 every 3 weeks.
Recommended water change schedule for goldies is 50-75% twice a week, so at least 70 litres each and twice a week. If you have a python, or a homemade hose syphon with tap attachment, water changes are more manageable.

I would put the pebbles back in the corner as they will have some beneficial bacteria on them, and a sick fish won't appreciate any possible cycling issues.
Thank you. I hadn't realised how inefficient the water changes were.
I genuinely appreciate your wisdom 🤗

I do generally 1x a week 90% water changes even on my goldfish tank, but it's also larger.

So a smaller tank is definitely going to need more frequent changes. 2x a week would be good while they're in their current setup.

If size is an issue, there are stock pond type ideas that will make suitable homes for them and depending where you live you may even be able to house them in an outdoor setup.

When it comes to treatment, your best option is "less is more". If you throw too much at them it can actually make it worse. So keep with the current treatment, and keep up on the water changes and monitor your nitrates. If they hit 20ppm, time to change the water. Melafix is kinda like snake oil, it doesn't really do a whole lot. Clean water is usually the first course of treatment for anything and you can use salt to help heal. Goldfish respond pretty good to aquarium salt.

I do generally 1x a week 90% water changes even on my goldfish tank, but it's also larger.

So a smaller tank is definitely going to need more frequent changes. 2x a week would be good while they're in their current setup.

If size is an issue, there are stock pond type ideas that will make suitable homes for them and depending where you live you may even be able to house them in an outdoor setup.

When it comes to treatment, your best option is "less is more". If you throw too much at them it can actually make it worse. So keep with the current treatment, and keep up on the water changes and monitor your nitrates. If they hit 20ppm, time to change the water. Melafix is kinda like snake oil, it doesn't really do a whole lot. Clean water is usually the first course of treatment for anything and you can use salt to help heal. Goldfish respond pretty good to aquarium salt.
Thank u, that's really helpful.
I'm learning alot and want to do the best for these rescue fish. I never realised how complex it could actually be. I want to do my best for them and, truly appreciate the time people like you are giving to answer me. It's such a relief.
I will now change their water twice weekly and, continue reading and learning for their best health.
Thank you 🤗

That's the right attitude to have :) they're in good hands I think

Most reactions

Back