Place Your Bets

the blacks have been on my wish list for years and my lfs had some in recently but they were more than I could afford. Plus with a house move on the cards I don't want to add any more fish to the tank

With a tank your size I'd look to the smaller cory types - that way you could add more groups of differing types. If you go with the larger kinds it restricts you a bit more. Am I right in thinking the Sterbai's are as big as the peppered's? 

I've looked on eBay for the blacks. Looking at around  £46 for 4 of them plus delivery charge. 

The sterbai are just a bit smaller I was told. They might be the same size as peppered though 

my peppered females are quite big ... the boys are much smaller but the girls are really chunky. I think the sterbai cory is about the same size. I've not had any though so I'm going from photo's. Might be worth a check on PC before you decide completely
smile.png

I have a question. In have 3 different species of corys in my tank. Peppered, false jullii, and sterbai. They seem healthy and happy and I have five of each. Ph is 7.4, temp is 77F, 50% water changes weekly with cold water. The tank is overstocked so that might be the reason but it seems like you all don't do anything special to get them to lay eggs. I have never found any cory eggs at all. Why is that? 

BTW I really enjoyed reading this thread. 

Hi Stanleo, I don't do anything really. Nothing special anyway. I've read reports about cold water changes and other theories on pressure changes being a spawning trigger but I've tried both and seen nothing. Mine just seem to spawn when they want to.

It could have something to do with food though. I do feed something meaty from the freezer 3 times a week - this is mostly for my SA cichlids but the cories like to tuck in to any bits that hit the substrate. I also feed twice daily and the cories get a good quality pellet. Knowing they have good food coming twice a day may be what makes them want to add to their numbers - it would make sense. 

I've also found that a good ratio of male to female seems to help. If you can even the number out - I've 3 male and 3 female panda's and that seems to be a good trigger. I often have two pairs racing around gearing up for a spawn.

You may also find that yours are spawning but hiding the eggs. Cories tend to place their eggs all over, if yours are laying them in the plants it could be that your just not noticing eggs

I'm still in the process of deciding. 
I'm on the vedge of changing it all completly xD 

Asteria said:
I'm still in the process of deciding. 
I'm on the vedge of changing it all completly xD 

I find if I'm unsure it's always best to wait. You might actually find that your out somewhere and see a certain type of cory that grabs your attention and just know they are the one's for you :)

Yeah. I just am waiting for my tank to cycle so I keep going and want fish but I can't exactly buy anything. 
So we shall see what I can get when it's ready 

checked on the new guys today and there appeared to be the remains of one them floating around the tank. One was darting around it's compartment so I've caught it and added it to the other compartment with the baby tetra and the older cory. I've also moved the sponge filter with it so it stays cycled. What will be will be now 

well the older cory has now turned into a right cheeky monkey! He's now discovered he can swim over the glass partition into the other (now empty) compartment and so visits the other side now several times a day. I have no idea why he wants to go on the other side of the glass but he goes anyway.

I found him on the other side yesterday morning and so grabbed my net and moved him back ... only for me to see him back in the other side a couple of hours later. I've just been watching him swapping sides again. He certainly seems to have a sense of humour cos it looks like he's doing it for a laugh.

As for the other baby cory, well I've only seen it once since I moved it in with the larger one and the tetra. I have no idea if it's still alive at the moment. They will be getting fed very soon so I'll have another look to see if it makes an appearance today or not.

The little tetra is doing well too. 

Currently willing my cories to spawn again but it's not working. Get on with it guys I need more babies!

you need to get a video of that, I guess thats just kids for you!! :)

Akasha72 said:
Currently willing my cories to spawn again but it's not working. Get on with it guys I need more babies!

Cool water change during a time that a low pressure system is coming through the area... you can induce spawning much more that way than just staring at them and using 'The Force'.

lol Eagles!! 
laugh.png

There's a storm about to sweep through tonight ... maybe that'll get em going. It worked for my palmeri tetra's last night! I had a pair of them spawning for about 2 hours last night. I've pulled out a couple of leaves that they were darting through in the hope there's some eggs on them

Speaking from experience I can say that with room strebia can definantly get as big as peppered corys, since I have both species and both can be quite chunky. Because of the size issue and numbers issue the strebia ended up getting moved to their own 4ft tank, but ideally I think they preferred being mixed in with the equally numbered peppered corys. On their own even though there is over 15 of them they have remained a lot shyer and timid, where as with the peppereds it was as if they gained confidence.

The best ways I have found to induce spawning in corydoras and bristlenoses is to do a large water change, but ideally for around a week or two prior feed them up with good quality protein foods, blackworms, bloodworms, mosquito larva or wrigglers even earth worms. Then if you can manage a large water change just prior to a big weather system coming through, something that will make the barometric pressure drop, then you are almost certain to get them to spawn.

Most reactions

Back