Other hobbies

We used to get stained glass kits back in the day. You could buy different animals, birds, insects, etc, as a stained glass kit. They had a thin metal frame and different coloured crystals. You put the frame on a metal tray and sprinkle different sections with different coloured crystals. Then pop it in the oven for a bit and hey presto, you have a stained glass butterfly, bird or whatever it was you got.
I've not seen those, sounds great fun. They did something similar on one of the courses I did called frit, small pieces of glass that you placed on other glass and then fused in the kiln. The guy who taught that class used to repair traditional stained glass windows and was teaching us the basics of it.

I play golf. and still love Lego. I build the adult Technic models (Just a big kid), most years Santa brings me one last year it was this one
20220617_155310.jpg

The weird brown statue in the background is a Locust god to keep Locusts away, my mother gave it to me in 1976 and I have never seen a Locust. That is one cool god.

View attachment 161513
The weird brown statue in the background is a Locust god to keep Locusts away, my mother gave it to me in 1976 and I have never seen a Locust. That is one cool god.
Send the locust god to Australia. I remember cycling to a friends place back in the 90s and there was a locust plague. They hurt a lot when they fly into you, let alone when hundreds of them fly into you.

The main rule when cycling through a locust swarm, keep your mouth shut and keep moving.

I play golf. and still love Lego. I build the adult Technic models (Just a big kid), most years Santa brings me one last year it was this one
View attachment 161513
That's a pretty cool tractor set!
Lego is kinda the only toy adults never stop "playing" with... Some do stop but a lot of times they keep making things. I hope to save mine and pass them down to my kids if I have any.

Send the locust god to Australia. I remember cycling to a friends place back in the 90s and there was a locust plague. They hurt a lot when they fly into you, let alone when hundreds of them fly into you.

The main rule when cycling through a locust swarm, keep your mouth shut and keep moving.
LOL! Try running into a hail storm on a motorcycle going ~60 MPH! :hyper:

Leather jacket and helmet though... That's if you were obeying laws of course

I never lived a state that required leathers and Ohio didn't have a helmet law.
But you still wore one right? I mean when you are on an unprotected vehicle going 60-70mph wouldn't you want to wear those

Didn't wear leathers when it was warm but did wear a helmet on interstates but not a full face.
Ah ok... Biker companies should research on a body suit that can stay cool during summer so that way bikers will want to wear it and be safe while driving. My uncle got into a very bad bike accident and ever since has not been able to ride his bike due to complications. Another one of my family members broke several bones and a part of their neck in a bike accident. (Bot decided not to wear their helmets)

Actually I think I can go one better than that

Many many moons ago when I owned motorcycles, I decided to ride my newly restored CB900F2B to work since it was a nice day and all that

Stupidly...again cos it was very warm weather...I had my visor up

The biggest, baddest moodiest hornet flew right into the front of my helmet...a seriously angry amount of buzzing, the quickest emergency stop in the history of motorcycling with accompanying expletive stream...whipped helmet off before the hornet took a fancy to my face....

Breathed a sigh of relief as the hornet pulled itself together and flew off......then damned thing turned around, came back as if to tell me in no uncertain terms to keep my visor shut in future and stung me...right below the eye

By the time I got to work I looked like I had done 30 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Needless to say that was the last time I ever rode with the visor up.....once stung, twice shy.

My younger son has a motorbike, I am very happy it's been sitting in our garage for the last 3 years. He has a full helmet and a leather jacket with reinforced panels.
A friend of my elder son got a motorbike and my son insisted he must get leathers, which he did. He used the bike to commute to work and one day a pickup truck slowed down in front of him so he pulled out to overtake, only for the truck to do a U turn. The staff at A&E said his life had been saved by the jacket. He had cracked a vertebra in his neck even with the reinforced section of the jacket which shows how bad the impact was. If he hadn't been wearing the jacket........

Ah ok... Biker companies should research on a body suit that can stay cool during summer so that way bikers will want to wear it and be safe while driving.
They do have hot weather leathers for motorbike riders. A quick Google search brings up a heap of places that sell them, and the link below is from an ABC science show in 2016 about the subject.

Even though full leathers (pants, jacket, boots and globes) are hot in summer, it can mean the difference between permanent scarring and skin transplants.

Helmets should be compulsory in any country.

There also needs to be better laws so other motorists have harsher penalties if they clean up a bike rider, as well as better driver training for all motorists. Over 90% of motorbike riders that get injured on their bikes, are hit by motorists that aren't focusing on what is happening. And because the impact is between a 1.5 tonne car with built in safety cells and lots of other safety features, vs a person on a bike, we all know who is gonna come off second best.

Motorbikes and associated clothing needs to be brighter coloured so the riders and bikes stand out better on the road. When you have people on black bikes, wearing black leathers, on a black road, it makes it harder to spot the rider. Having bright coloured leathers or even wearing a fluoro yellow or pink safety vest can go a long way to helping other motorists see the riders. But there's always going to be some ahole that doesn't look and pulls straight out into a bike going through an intersection.

Most reactions

Back