Omg Cory Eggs!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seen them in the T position three times now (and they've probably done it some more where I can't see them too). Not seeing any eggs though. Is that normal? I was under the impression that they laid the eggs first them they do the T thing to fertilise them.

I am literally sat here watching a fishy gang bang
laugh.gif

I suspect my males outnumber my females but I'm not sure.

Ah, I thought the T position came after.

In any case, I went out this afternoon and returned to find 6 or 7 eggs! Gonna leave them where they are for a little while to make sure they're fertilised and so as not to scare my cories and prevent further eggs, but my dwarf gourami is getting curious so I may move them soon. They're in pretty much the same place as I found them last time. Must be some good spots.

The last time mine spawned she laid the eggs on an anubia leaf. I just took the whole thing out and put it in my fry tank and positioned it so the outflow of the filter kept a steady stream on it. Voila! Fresh fry!

Thanks guys, this is very exciting! Went downstairs to cook tea and came back up to two more eggs, saw a couple in the T position and another egg laid as I was watching! As it happened my dwarf gourami saw that one off so I've put him in a net for now. He's constantly going for the eggs whenever they're laid and I don't want to lose any.

Something I read when I got my first eggs was that it's a good idea to leave the eggs in the tank for a little while after you find them to make sure they're fertilised, but I thought the T position came after as this was how they got fertilised. Can someone shed a bit more light on the fertilisation process? Am I able to remove eggs as soon as I find them or do I need to leave them for a bit?

The biggest reason to leave them for a bit is so they can harden a little. If you try to take them right away, they're very sticky and it's difficult to move them without damaging them.

Okay, thanks. I've moved all the ones I can find into my floating milk carton until they hatch. From what I can see I've got a possible 4 fertilised ones.

so exciting, Cezza. Better luck this time :)

Mine have had blood worms tonight and are going mental right now. I'm about to get my beanbag comfy and sit in front of the tank ... I want cory eggs too lol

My first cold water change didn't seem to make any difference but they went nuts after the one I did this morning! I had kinda low hopes but I really wasn't expecting quite such a reaction after getting nothing before!

Well I have everything crossed for you again. I really hope it works out this time.

It would be good to know more myself about the mating process. I'm watching them and they sort of circle each other then one will sit on top of another and then they go mouth to mouth for a second before darting off. I think this is spawning behaviour. Am I right?
I've never noticed the t position thing so I'm now watching for it - is it something that happens in seconds? In other words am I likely to miss it if I blink?

What does the egg laying process look like? I've no idea where the eggs come from and I've no idea if they've ever actually layed any either. I've never found any

It would be good to know as I know when my live bearers are about to drop now. I have a thirst for knowledge with my cories now lol :D

I've just found the video in the pinned section and watched it. Definitely spawning but I've no idea where she's laying the eggs. Could be on and around the bog wood but not certain

Well I have everything crossed for you again. I really hope it works out this time.

It would be good to know more myself about the mating process. I'm watching them and they sort of circle each other then one will sit on top of another and then they go mouth to mouth for a second before darting off. I think this is spawning behaviour. Am I right?
I've never noticed the t position thing so I'm now watching for it - is it something that happens in seconds? In other words am I likely to miss it if I blink?

What does the egg laying process look like? I've no idea where the eggs come from and I've no idea if they've ever actually layed any either. I've never found any

It would be good to know as I know when my live bearers are about to drop now. I have a thirst for knowledge with my cories now lol :D

I love watching the corys getting ready to spawn - lots of quivering & chasing, the T position is where the female so say suck the sperm from the male's belly area hence the T with the male being the top part and female the down part,if you know what i mean lol!!
Some say the male sprays the eggs after,but i've always removed the eggs soon after them being laid without the male going near them and they've still hatched, so i believe they're fertilized during the T position.
Check out this link of my albinos breeding http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/334586-yah-my-albinos-have-spawned/ , on the first page shows a vid of the t position (early part of the vid) and on page 5 shows a pic of fully laddened female laying eggs on the glass.
After the t position the female tends to rest a short while before forming a pouch with her pelvic fins to hold the eggs she produces.

I hope this helps a wee bit :)

could've sworn I replied to you Harlequins but it's not showing for some reason.

Thanks for the help and the video links. I've watched them and set up my own thread with my questions as I'm not going to hijack Cezza's thread.

Thanks guys :)

Most reactions

Back