Nitrites n plants

Until the Prime arrives, the second part of this link is about using salt to mitigate the effects of nitrite, should the water test for nitrite again.

I just ordered Seachem Prime from Amazon. I hope that would help
Yes, Prime will temporarily detoxify ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for 48 hours, then it will become ineffective and release them. So you would have to keep adding Prime every 24 hours if the ammonia and nitrites have not been eliminated by the biological filter or water changes. All the applicable water conditioners are temporarily effective for 48 hours. Seachem recommends adding Seachem Stabiltity everyday with Prime to seed the biological filter to remove the ammonia and nitrites while Prime has them detoxified.

Here is a video explaining its use.
Fish Tank Ammonia - How to fix it right now (SIMPLE)

Last edited:
Yes, Prime will temporarily detoxify ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for 48 hours, then it will become ineffective and release them. So you would have to keep adding Prime every 48 hours if the ammonia and nitrites have not been eliminated by the biological filter or water changes. All the applicable water conditioners are temporarily effective for 48 hours. Seachem recommends adding Seachem Stabiltity everyday to seed the biological filter to remove the ammonia and nitrites while Prime has them detoxified.

Here is a video explaining its use.
Fish Tank Ammonia - How to fix it right now (SIMPLE)
I use seachem with each water change and it is good but the best way is just to keep doing daily water changes until all the nitrite is gone.

Just to check as well were there any signs of damage to the bettas? Sororities can be fine for ages and then turn ugly pretty quickly even in a large tank. I'm not sure how big your tank is but could be worth bearing in mind as you move forward.

Also, there is a product you can put in your canister filter called Nitra-Zorb to remove ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates from your water while the biological filter is building up nitrification bacteria. I used it in the past, and it works great to temporarily help out the filter and protect the fish. Nitra-Zorb study

Last edited:
Yes, more sience. But the best way to know how to deal with thinfs like this is to understand how and why they happen.

I have been using terra-cotta pots for plants in tanks for about 15 years, I have never had any issues with roots. My plants in pots grow to the surface, multiply and I have to split them and make a second pot. I also fertilize those plants with substrate ferts.

I know some folks like to dirt their planted tanks. I have never and will never do this becuase I have never seen a need to do so. I grow my plants in small sized gravel and mulm is my best friend. This thread is a good example why I do not use dirt.

If one likes to rescape, it means pulling plants out of the substrate and putting in something new. With dirted tanks this can get really messy and even worse.

Brown blood disease occurs in fish when water contains high nitrite concentrations. Nitrite enters the bloodstream through the gills and turns the blood to a chocolate-brown color. Hemoglobin, which transports oxygen in the blood, combines with nitrite to form methemoglobin, which is incapable of oxygen transport. Brown blood cannot carry sufficient amounts of oxygen, and affected fish can suffocate despite adequate oxygen concentration in the water. This accounts for the gasping behavior often observed in fish with brown blood disease, even when oxygen levels are rela-tively high.

Methyliene blue can reverse the above effects but is will stain the heck out of most things in a tank even the silicone seals. I have never used Meth. blue for nitrite as I never had a need, so I cannot help with dosing etc. Once the nitrite has entered the fish it will take a day or two to work its way out on it's own. However, this will not help if there is still nitrite in the water entering the fish. So water changes to lower nitrite only helps when there is no new nitrite being created and entering a fish. Years ago science discovered that chloride out competes with nitrite trying to pass through the fish gills and prevents it fro doing harm. In fact science states that any research into nitrite and fish mush document the levels of chloride in the water or such research has no real value.

Chloride is about 2/3 of that makes up salt (sodium chloride) which is why the salt is what can rescue a tank with nitrite. And this is also why salt water fish are way less endangered by nirtite in the water. The chloride from the salt protects them.

Some form of nitrogen is a great fertilizer, But ammonia NH3) in tanks with is not something nobody should add. So, most of the ferts we use in our tanksinstead either has urea or some compound with nitrate like potassium nitrate for ex. Read the ingredients in any comprehensive tank ferts and they usually tell you the source used for supplying nitrogen.

What is at the heart of all of this is our tanks are filled with a variety of microscopic organisms. Many are beneficial and some are not, However, we have no ability to assess what bacteria etc. may be present nor in what numbers. All we can see are the test results for the limited number of test kits we can have. The important factor in a lot of this is how fast different mircrooganisms can reproduce. The nirtifying rganisms reproduce pretty slowly relative to many of the "cousins." The bacteria that we see when we get a bllom that turns the water cloudy are a perfect exaample. They multiply at lightning fast rates compared to the nitrifiers. Under optimal conditions it takes the ammonia ones about 8 hours to double their numbers and the nitrite ones take more like 12-13.

The other part of all of this is oxygen. Most of what is in our tanks needs this, including the bacteria. Unless one has a planted substrate, most of the nitrifying bacteria in the any substrate can only exist in less than the top inch of it. However, in the case of what is reported in this thread, tipping over the glass container and spilling out the contents (here being dirt) expose what was in anoxic (very, very low O) areas to a much greater level of oxygen. And this does alter the reactions possible and can result in more ammonia which means more nitrite. The plants and algae and nitrifiers established cannot keep up with a rapidly increasing concentration to prevent fatal levels from building up.

In this case the ammonia spike was not seen and the ammonia was likely due to the daly between the tipping and the testing but the nitrite was slower to be handled and it was able to do the harm.

The reason for using chloride aka salt, for nitrite is that it effectively neutralizes it. But when it comes to ammonia there is nothing that does this. The best we can do is to convert the NH3 (ammonia) into its other form in water which ammonium (NH4). The latter is way less toxic and the bacteria are still able to use it but less efficiently than they can use ammonia. Moreover, the plants want ammonium and most plants can suffer from elevated levels of ammonia (NH3). How much ammonia may be bad for them varies by plant species.

I use seachem with each water change and it is good but the best way is just to keep doing daily water changes until all the nitrite is gone.

Just to check as well were there any signs of damage to the bettas? Sororities can be fine for ages and then turn ugly pretty quickly even in a large tank. I'm not sure how big your tank is but could be worth bearing in mind as you move forward.
My betta Tank is a tall 36 gallons from petsmart.
I knew it was a little risky to have female bettas alltogether in one tank but I never had a problem with them plus the queen B is the biggest one n I saw her taking care of bullies herself making sure no female bullies the other one, she did take care of her tank making it peaceful for everybody but now due to that stupid mix of dirt my wife put in the tank the nitrates went sky high n I already lost 5 girls n 3 more are ready to go too including my queen B.
We r doing a basically 80% water change plus cleaning n getting rid of every little piece of dirt we can find to make a full makeover tank. Hopefully that will help bring the tank to a healthy tank like it was before that dirt went into the water

What would it be the best replacement for dirt to grow aquatic plants safely without making water parameters go crazy or spike nitrate or ammonia or ph to go crazy level ?
What should I put in the tank that will make the plants grow healthy like you do with plants in the garden ?

Sand or gravel works just as well as soil - that runs out of plant nutrients after a while so you still need to use fertiliser like you do with sand/gravel.

Well after a whole we got the whole female koi betta Tank re done n all cleaned up. We got rid of the water with nitrite n nitrites n all the garden mix dirt.
We rinsed all the plants n put em backmin there .
Ammonia n PH aren't the greatest just yet but it's getting there.
We will add the bettas n corys in the morning depending if the water parameters are better than now.
Can the corys be in a cooler overnight without air bubbles and without water flow from the filter ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240727_185705_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240727_185705_Gallery.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 16
Well, praised God, all fish survived the night in a cooler . The ammonia n ph were fine early this morning when I ran downstairs to check on the fish.
I tested nitrites n nitrates. Nitrites were zero but Nitrites was 0.5.
Is that bad that there is still some ? Should I change some water ?

Based on the above report I believe that Tyler mistyped and mean to say nitrites or and nitrates are 0.5? If i am wrong add some salt and do not change the water if ammonia is 0 and nitrate is under 20 ppm. Also bear in mind our nitrate kits test using the Total Ion scale. The warning level for nitrate for humans is 10 ppm using the nitrogen scale. That translates to 44.26 ppm on the Total Ion scale. Btw- science normally works with the nitrogen. Proper reporting requires that whichever the scale used be indicated in a scientific research paper.

I would never use any dechlor to deal with nitrite, I would only use chloride. I cannot find any science that support the SeaChem claims re nitrite and neither can they. They admit their evidence is anecdotal not scientific.

The was one deals with ammonia and nitrite are with a cycled and/or planted tank, not chemicals. The reason is simple, They make fixing a problem take longer. And with nitrite the chloride lets the nitrite stay in the water which will make those bacteria reproduce and do so faster. Alter the structure of ammonia or nitrite and it slows that process which means fish may be exposed to things for longer even it they might be at a less dangerous concentration.

We have no idea when we get a new fish how long it can or will live and how healthy it may really be. So we have absolutely know way to know if our actions have had any effect on the potential lifespan of the fish. We may have extended it or we may have done the opposite.

So, based on what I have come to know about ammonia and nitrite and even nitrate, I want to deal with them in a way I think will have the best long term results. So, I have come to believe the methods I use to deal with cycling related issues are the best ones for giving my fish a good shot at living a longer and healthier life than they might have if I used different methods or did nothing at all.

But this is why I often say the things I do are my way and may not be the either the best nor the only way to do them. Others always must choose what to do for themselves.

Last edited:
Well, praised God, all fish survived the night in a cooler . The ammonia n ph were fine early this morning when I ran downstairs to check on the fish.
I tested nitrites n nitrates. Nitrites were zero but Nitrites was 0.5.
Is that bad that there is still some ? Should I change some water ?
Correction: nitrates were 0.5
Based on the above report I believe that Tyler mistyped and mean to say nitrites or and nitrates are 0.5? If i am wrong add some salt and do not change the water if ammonia is 0 and nitrate is under 20 ppm. Also bear in mind our nitrate kits test using the Total Ion scale. The warning level for nitrate for humans is 10 ppm using the nitrogen scale. That translates to 44.26 ppm on the Total Ion scale. Btw- science normally works with the nitrogen. Proper reporting requires that whichever the scale used be indicated in a scientific research paper.

I would never use any dechlor to deal with nitrite, I would only use chloride. I cannot find any science that support the SeaChem claims re nitrite and neither can they. They admit their evidence is anecdotal not scientific.

The was one deals with ammonia and nitrite are with a cycled and/or planted tank, not chemicals. The reason is simple, They make fixing a problem take longer. And with nitrite the chloride lets the nitrite stay in the water which will make those bacteria reproduce and do so faster. Alter the structure of ammonia or nitrite and it slows that process which means fish may be exposed to things for longer even it they might be at a less dangerous concentration.

We have no idea when we get a new fish how long it can or will live and how healthy it may really be. So we have absolutely know way to know if our actions have had any effect on the potential lifespan of the fish. We may have extended it or we may have done the opposite.

So, based on what I have come to know about ammonia and nitrite and even nitrate, I want to deal with them in a way I think will have the best long term results. So, I have come to believe the methods I use to deal with cycling related issues are the best ones for giving my fish a good shot at living a longer and healthier life than they might have if I used different methods or did nothing at all.

But this is why I often say the things I do are my way and may not be the either the best nor the only way to do them. Others always must choose what to do for themselves.
So what should I do to get rid of that 0.5 % of nitrates? Should I change some water ? If I decide to do the salt thing l8ke you said how do I do it ? Did I use kitchen salt ? How much of salt should I use ? Or what else can I do

So how do I use salt to get rid of nitrates ? And what kind of salt should I use ?

Most reactions

Back