New to the forum

If you're not getting corydoras then dwarf cichlids are fine
That is and isn't true. I have two South American smiling dwarf cichlids that go by the common name of smiling dwarfs (Laetacara araguaiae). They are supposed to be peaceful yet I started out with four and one became dominate and killed two others. This same 'peaceful' cichlid also killed my four panda garras. The lesser of the two remaining cichlids survives but is totally submissive and always hiding in my plants. I have to first feed the dominate then feed the submissive in another area of the tank.

I've had cichlids for many years like from the 1980's and love them but they are, by nature, predators and will kill anything that they see as a territory threat. To do well they need a large tank so they can set up territories. In my current case I was stupid putting any kind of cichlid in my little 20 gallon cube. I actually knew this but was hung up on my love for cichlids and screwed up. Right now my tank just holds my two remaining dwarf cichlids and my rope fish. Even with the rope fish being about 7.5 inches in length the dominate cichlid tried to attack. While a rope is a passive hunter it won't be messed with and kicked butt. Now, when the rope comes out, the 'boss' cichlid is not to be seen.

So, OK, I have a 7.5 inch fish in a 20 gallon cube. Most would consider this wrong as I experienced when I first stated that I was doing this over a year ago yet the fish is happy and fine. The thing is that it is called a rope fish for a reason as it is about 7.5 inches long yet only probably less than a half inch in diameter. They look like an eel or snake but are a true fish even though they DO have rudimentary lungs.

I guess that all I'm really trying to say is to be VERY careful about cichlids. While I have kept multiple varieties of cichlids in a tank as small as 30 gallons it was a case when it was a new tank and they were all babies of around half an inch so they grew up together and could set up their areas.

Don't screw up like I did and put cichlids in anything but a large tank. I'm currently looking to re-home my dwarf cichlids so I can go back to having panda garra.

That is and isn't true. I have two South American smiling dwarf cichlids that go by the common name of smiling dwarfs (Laetacara araguaiae). They are supposed to be peaceful yet I started out with four and one became dominate and killed two others. This same 'peaceful' cichlid also killed my four panda garras. The lesser of the two remaining cichlids survives but is totally submissive and always hiding in my plants. I have to first feed the dominate then feed the submissive in another area of the tank.

I've had cichlids for many years like from the 1980's and love them but they are, by nature, predators and will kill anything that they see as a territory threat. To do well they need a large tank so they can set up territories. In my current case I was stupid putting any kind of cichlid in my little 20 gallon cube. I actually knew this but was hung up on my love for cichlids and screwed up. Right now my tank just holds my two remaining dwarf cichlids and my rope fish. Even with the rope fish being about 7.5 inches in length the dominate cichlid tried to attack. While a rope is a passive hunter it won't be messed with and kicked butt. Now, when the rope comes out, the 'boss' cichlid is not to be seen.

So, OK, I have a 7.5 inch fish in a 20 gallon cube. Most would consider this wrong as I experienced when I first stated that I was doing this over a year ago yet the fish is happy and fine. The thing is that it is called a rope fish for a reason as it is about 7.5 inches long yet only probably less than a half inch in diameter. They look like an eel or snake but are a true fish even though they DO have rudimentary lungs.

I guess that all I'm really trying to say is to be VERY careful about cichlids. While I have kept multiple varieties of cichlids in a tank as small as 30 gallons it was a case when it was a new tank and they were all babies of around half an inch so they grew up together and could set up their areas.

Don't screw up like I did and put cichlids in anything but a large tank. I'm currently looking to re-home my dwarf cichlids so I can go back to having panda garra.
We'd been looking at Apistogramma 👍🏻 pretty sure they'd be fine with cardinals and rummynose

Re Maidenhead Aquatics and gouramis - or any fish, come to that - ring the store you'd like to visit and ask if they have whatever fish in stock at the moment. If they say 'we are out of stock at the moment, we'll be getting more in two days' leave it a week or two before buying so the weak ones will have died by the time you go there.

Hope that you are right.... It is just cichlids are like pit bulls. They can be totally friendly or fiends.
Do you have some suggestions for James? I feel the guy is totally confused and overwhelmed here and is struggling to make a decision based on all the conflicting advice he's getting. It appears he feels despite his soft water that he's limited to what he can have due to compatibility. He already has 2 schools and would prefer not to have corys because of the high numbers he has to keep them in. He wants bright colours and just a small number so as not to overwhelm his new tank....could you add a suggestion?

Do you have some suggestions for James? I feel the guy is totally confused and overwhelmed here and is struggling to make a decision based on all the conflicting advice he's getting. It appears he feels despite his soft water that he's limited to what he can have due to compatibility. He already has 2 schools and would prefer not to have corys because of the high numbers he has to keep them in. He wants bright colours and just a small number so as not to overwhelm his new tank....could you add a suggestion?
This pretty much sums it up 😂

There seems to be hundreds of fish in multiple shops, that I can only have a select few, when whittled down to the select few there is different views on them.

The only one that seems to be in agreenment for everyone is the honey gourami - which I can’t seem to find locally (online) - I will be contacting stores

I have just had a look on maidenheads and they actually look quite organised with the fish they have.
There’s two with 5 miles of me and you can search which fish is stocked at which store.
James do you have a link for that by any chance? I'm struggling to find it, thanks

I just got a response back from Pier aquatics saying the do have the honey gouramis in and they sent a link that says £14 for a pair one male and one female

Do I need 3 ?

Attachments

• 38F47A8D-F2FD-4325-B386-02E6B3DCE01D.png
    38F47A8D-F2FD-4325-B386-02E6B3DCE01D.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 17
Do they say which variety - wild coloured, yellow or red?

Just a note - the blue ones are not honey gouramis (Trichogaster chuna), they are the cobalt blue variety of dwarf gourami (Trichogaster lalius). Make sure they know you want honeys.

This is what comes up when I click the link

Attachments

• C244E3A3-BA2D-4DEC-929C-AD2FDB8A83AF.png
    C244E3A3-BA2D-4DEC-929C-AD2FDB8A83AF.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 17
That's the tan male, silver beige female variety :)

However, I notice that Pier sell them only as pairs. You might be able to persuade them to sell you more females but they may not. If they won't, try Maidenhead Aquatics.

That's the tan male, silver beige female variety :)

However, I notice that Pier sell them only as pairs. You might be able to persuade them to sell you more females but they may not. If they won't, try Maidenhead Aquatics.
Does he need more females or will 2 be OK? Does he want more females? 🤔 how many do you want James? 🥴 I'm going cross eyed now...

Also wouldn't it be fine to have one species of cory (if he wants them) in a group of 6-8? Why does he have to have 3 groups of 5? Sorry not trying to make it more confusing then it needs be :)

Pier sent me a video

But I can only upload photos here I think so I took a screen shot of the video.

Attachments

• 6CD7BF4B-8D44-4798-A844-C09BB026D564.png
    6CD7BF4B-8D44-4798-A844-C09BB026D564.png
    369.9 KB · Views: 19

Most reactions

Back