New to the forum

@Essjay @CaptainBarnicles

It took me 50 mins to empty and refill but we are finally ready the pictures don’t do it justice it looks much better in real life

Attachments

• D8150D38-F036-466A-8C62-841E1991DDAE.jpeg
    D8150D38-F036-466A-8C62-841E1991DDAE.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 0CECC1D0-0528-457A-9A0B-C284EBA666FF.jpeg
    0CECC1D0-0528-457A-9A0B-C284EBA666FF.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 27
Few more close ups. Temperature is rising.

So if I was to do a water test now… it should say the same as it did before I changed the water ?

Attachments

• 83225FA1-E3AB-46E9-929A-5C91E0739F7B.jpeg
    83225FA1-E3AB-46E9-929A-5C91E0739F7B.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 07AAD5B2-7279-4C6C-9975-6E520ED73626.jpeg
    07AAD5B2-7279-4C6C-9975-6E520ED73626.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 82340F42-6CED-495B-87CC-1F98733B8F09.jpeg
    82340F42-6CED-495B-87CC-1F98733B8F09.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 24
@Essjay i ment to ask, when refilling the tank I noticed that on the air pipes for the bubbles the were completely covered in “white slime”
Is this good bacteria or does it need removing ?
If you zoom in on the pictures you can almost see it

So if I was to do a water test now… it should say the same as it did before I changed the water ?
If you emptied all the water the results will be the same as your tap water rather than tank water from before the water change.

I'm not sure what the slime is but when I had a sponge filter powered by an air pump the air lines got covered in white goo as well. I just washed it off in the bucket of old tank water during a water change. Someone will know :)

If you emptied all the water the results will be the same as your tap water rather than tank water from before the water change.

I'm not sure what the slime is but when I had a sponge filter powered by an air pump the air lines got covered in white goo as well. I just washed it off in the bucket of old tank water during a water change. Someone will know :)
But the nitrates are still in the tank? On the stones etc ?
When explaining to family and friends this is the part they don’t understand haha. Because Iv “emptied all the water”

What is the nitrate level in your tap water?
It depends how much water you changed. All the water should mean it's the same as your tap water. Half the water should mean the reading is half way between the tank water before the water change and your tap water.

What is the nitrate level in your tap water?
It depends how much water you changed. All the water should mean it's the same as your tap water. Half the water should mean the reading is half way between the tank water before the water change and your tap water.
I changed 95% of the water.

What I’m saying is…

All of the nitrates (that I have built up) are they on the stones / glass / pump / filter etc?

What my friends and sanity we’re not understanding was why do everything Iv don’t for the last 50 days to then empty all the water

I changed 95% of the water.

What I’m saying is…

All of the nitrates (that I have built up) are they on the stones / glass / pump / filter etc?

What my friends and sanity we’re not understanding was why do everything Iv don’t for the last 50 days to then empty all the water
To reduce nitrates that's why

The beneficial bacteria lives on surfaces 🙂 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate occupy the water...the bacteria growing on the surfaces 'eat' ammonia and nitrite as the water passes over them...nitrate is 'pooped' out by the bacteria that eats nitrite back into the water which just hangs around until you change it out....in layman's terms. Make sense?

Tank looks great by the way! Love how you have the java fern growing out the pot

To reduce nitrates that's why
Huh? Iv just spent almost two months building them up
The beneficial bacteria lives on surfaces 🙂 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate occupy the water...the bacteria growing on the surfaces 'eat' ammonia and nitrite as the water passes over them...nitrate is 'pooped' out by the bacteria that eats nitrite back into the water which just hangs around until you change it out....in layman's terms. Make sense?

Tank looks great by the way! Love how you have the java fern growing out the pot
yes this is what I thought, haha sorry it was late, I re read it all and realised I was being stupid.

Thanks, I can’t wait till the plants reallly kick off. I found it very tricky to plant them. I find it bizzare how they just sit under a few rocks

I made sure when I did the change to dechlorinate the water and then when done I added some plant food. I’m hoping now that the temperature is correct

Most reactions

Back