New to the forum

Now you have plants I wouldn't bother. Yes, the bacteria won't increase in number, but that doesn't matter with plants. But if you are worried, add the one third dose of ammonia every 3 days - that's 0.8 ml every 3 days. Then do the big water change before fish shopping.

The bacteria are dying off and being 'born' all the time (bacteria are 'born' by one bacterium splitting into two).
When there's more food than the current number can eat, more are 'born' than die. This is the situation during fishless cycling, we add a lot of ammonia to get them to multiply faster than dying.
When there are fish in the tank, if the amount of fish stays the same, the amount of ammonia they make stays the same and the bacteria multiply and die off at the same rate so the total numbers of bacteria stay the same.
When there is less food, more die than are 'born' and the total numbers reduce to the amount of bacteria which can live on the lower amount of food, then they stabilise at a constant number.

Plants take up ammonia as fertiliser and they do it faster than the bacteria can. In a planted tank, the plants grab most of the food (ammonia) made by the fish, leaving only a bit for the bacteria. You have grown a lot a both types of bacteria, just that the nitrite ones at the moment are not quite enough to eat all the nitrite made from 3 ppm ammonia in 24 hours.
Now that you have plants, they will take up ammonia and once you have fish you'll be in the last of the scenarios above - there will be less food available for the bacteria than during cycling because the plants will take up some of the ammonia, and less ammonia for the ammonia eaters also means less nitrite being made. With live plants, you don't need as many bacteria as a tank with no live plants. The amount of bacteria you have grown will be more than are needed now you have plants. The bacteria you've grown won't all die at once if you don't add 3 ppm ammonia; they'll begin to reduce in number just because of the plants.

The reason you've been doing a fishless cycle is because you are new to plants and at the moment your plant keeping skills are an unknown quantity. Are you good enough at growing plants that you don't need any bacteria, or will you need some bacteria to remove ammonia if the plants don't grow well or aren't enough plants or the plants are all slow growers which don't need as much ammonia as fast growers? That's why you needed to have grown some bacteria before getting fish.

AlexT sent me this link and I have read the full post. I am just at the start of this process so I can feel every disappointment you have suffered in your journey. Good thing is you are so close. Good Luck. I have such a long way to go I am thinking of buying a mature filter from a couple of web sites. I am so confused with this 😂

@Essjay

Thanks for that lengthy description ^

I tested this morning and as expected there was 0 nitrite and no ammonia

I have added 0.8 ml of ammonia this morning. As you have said the plants may take some of this out of the water anyway. But I guess it’s better to keep feeding them.

I also tested for nitrate and that was at 20 ppm

I will give it one last feed on Wednesday with another 0.8 ml

Then do the water change Thursday night.
Let the temperature get back up then fish shop Saturday morning :)

That sounds good :)

Don't forget the floating plants, having some protection against those predators lurking round the tank helps the fish settle in quicker. They don't know there are no fish-eating birds hovering over the tank :)

That sounds good :)

Don't forget the floating plants, having some protection against those predators lurking round the tank helps the fish settle in quicker. They don't know there are no fish-eating birds hovering over the tank :)
Yeh I’m going to get about another 8 plants (a few floating ones) before I get the fish

I have also ordered a couple of ornaments from Amazon that I really liked

Attachments

• 6C8796F5-1376-450A-AE3C-9B5B9E7F7DEC.jpeg
    6C8796F5-1376-450A-AE3C-9B5B9E7F7DEC.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 27D67424-07A5-488E-845C-52B48B723376.jpeg
    27D67424-07A5-488E-845C-52B48B723376.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 15
I like the temple style one, do you have a link to that one ?

Whats your fish plans ?
Here you go :)

SLOCME Aquarium Large Buddha Statue Temple Decorations - Aquarium Buddha Decor Fish Tank Large Buddha Statue Ornament https://amzn.eu/d/3byz25p

I’m starting with a school of neon tetras - probably around 15 of them. Then going to see what else catches my eye when I go to pier aquatics on Saturday!

@Essjay have I hear correctly that you shouldn’t feed them for a day or so ?

Feed them the day or 2 after, most shops will feed their stock daily so always best to wait 👍🏻

Here you go :)

SLOCME Aquarium Large Buddha Statue Temple Decorations - Aquarium Buddha Decor Fish Tank Large Buddha Statue Ornament https://amzn.eu/d/3byz25p

I’m starting with a school of neon tetras - probably around 15 of them. Then going to see what else catches my eye when I go to pier aquatics on Saturday!

@Essjay have I hear correctly that you shouldn’t feed them for a day or so ?

Thanks for the link, neon tetras that will be cool, looking forward to seeing some pics of yor tank ;)

Hello all.

I have just joined today! I have purchached my new tank which is 160 Litres. 100cm x 40cm x40cm. Iv joined up as I plan on keeping tropical fish for a long time so want to learn as much as possible.
Below is the tank on its stand. My tank is now full of water and is currently doing its 2 week water cycle.

View attachment 323224
Best of luck - looking forward to seeing how you progress.👍

Well it’s water change day (5pm tonight)

I did my last test and the results were

Ammonia 0-0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-15ppm

Hopefully my new plants will arrive today, so it will be 95% water out, new water in, plants in, then get the heater going for 36 hours before fish on Saturday ☺️

What’s the best thing to do with the pump at this stage @Essjay its been sat now pumping for 50 days. Obviously it has all the bacteria Iv built up in it but do I just leave it for now ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 13
By pump, do you mean the filter? There's no need at this point to be cleaning it as you've had no fish or plants to make it dirty. The filter catches debris etc so you would only need to maintain it maybe once a month when your tank has been well established. Some people only clean their filters when the water flow is reduced...

By pump, do you mean the filter? There's no need at this point to be cleaning it as you've had no fish or plants to make it dirty. The filter catches debris etc so you would only need to maintain it maybe once a month when your tank has been well established. Some people only clean their filters when the water flow is reduced...
Yes, sorry I ment the filter! Okay will leave that be. I did think this but wanted to be sure

Most reactions

Back