New to fish keeping

John O H

Reaction score
Hey up all.im new to fish keeping.im still learning how to start one up.
what do i need to make the tap water safe for fish?
im looking at (im not sure how many) Cloudy minnows and zebra Danios?
how many could i keep of both in a ten gallon tank and would i need a heater?
i dont want my fish dying on me

Hello!
To make tap water safe, you need a water conditioner. You need to dechlorinate water before you put it in the aquarium, and when changing water. I would recommend prime, but it is really concentrated, so it might not be for your 10 gallon since it would be nearly impossible to measure it out... maybe something like Api Tap water conditioner...
As for the fish, that is a little tricky. I would first need to know what filter you have, but you would be barely able to fit 5 of each. The thing is, you should have at least 5 of each fish species to keep them happy, so that is why I need to know what filter you have, because with 5 of each fish, you would have to do if 30% weekly water changes, but that is doable. Since you are a beginner, I would suggest getting one species first, seeing how they do, learn how to manage water changes etc, and also letting water stabilize before adding more bioload, and then add more fish. Here is a really good site that measures fish cap in aquariums, that I use all the time, and used it to find the info for you: http://www.aqadvisor.com/ . Just put the kind of filter you have, and add the fish. I find it accurate like 80-90% of the time. I am assuming that you have a standard filter for your aquarium size, like an Aqua-Tech power filter 5-15, so that is the one I put in the box to calc. the cap.
A heater is almost always necessary when keeping fish, especially when keeping tropical fish. This is because it helps maintain a stable temperature. Most heaters are preset to be at 76-78F. The minnows like water cooler than 80F, in the low 70F, and danios in the high 70F. So I would say that a heater would be good for them, since it is better to have a stable temp. then really cold, fluctuating water temp.
I am in no way a Fish Expert, but I have a couple of years under my belt, So I am mostly talking out of experience. I would appreciate if someone confirmed this info, just so you can have peace of mind.
I hope this helps!

Hello and welcome to the forum, First we need to know what type of water you have soft or hard before we can recommend what type of fish you should have. 2nd a 10 gallon tank is small. I think you are going to need a bigger tank for the type of fish you are looking at . They need room to swim, a 10 gallon tank is basically a closet to many fish. As @Filip indicated you need to use de-chlorinate your water. Many fish need to be kept in shoals of 6 or more which would not work for most fish in a 10 gallon tank. Depending on your water hardness a Betta would be great.

Both of these fish need a longer tank as they are active swimmers. If you dont already have the tank I would reccomend considering getting a 20 gallon long. This gives you many more options for stocking

Id recommend first finding your waters GH and then looking at nano species that fit that water.
There are lots of nano species that can do well in a 10 gallon but other than that most fish other than a betta arent suitable for a 10 gallon.

Id recommend first finding your waters GH
Look on your water provider's website for hardness. If they give it you need a number and the unit of measurement rather than some vague words. If they don't give it, take a sample of tap water to a fish shop and ask them to test for GH. Again, you need a number and the unit.
The reason we ask is because some fish need soft water while others need hard water. If you keep fish that don't match your water they will become sick more easily and won't live as long as they should.

Wicklow as in Ireland? Is your water company UISCE? If it is look here https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/water-hardness/

Hey up.whats a good easy fish to start with?
Can I put 5tetras in a 10gallon tank?
I want them happy/healthy

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Hello!
To make tap water safe, you need a water conditioner. You need to dechlorinate water before you put it in the aquarium, and when changing water. I would recommend prime, but it is really concentrated, so it might not be for your 10 gallon since it would be nearly impossible to measure it out... maybe something like Api Tap water conditioner...
As for the fish, that is a little tricky. I would first need to know what filter you have, but you would be barely able to fit 5 of each. The thing is, you should have at least 5 of each fish species to keep them happy, so that is why I need to know what filter you have, because with 5 of each fish, you would have to do if 30% weekly water changes, but that is doable. Since you are a beginner, I would suggest getting one species first, seeing how they do, learn how to manage water changes etc, and also letting water stabilize before adding more bioload, and then add more fish. Here is a really good site that measures fish cap in aquariums, that I use all the time, and used it to find the info for you: http://www.aqadvisor.com/ . Just put the kind of filter you have, and add the fish. I find it accurate like 80-90% of the time. I am assuming that you have a standard filter for your aquarium size, like an Aqua-Tech power filter 5-15, so that is the one I put in the box to calc. the cap.
A heater is almost always necessary when keeping fish, especially when keeping tropical fish. This is because it helps maintain a stable temperature. Most heaters are preset to be at 76-78F. The minnows like water cooler than 80F, in the low 70F, and danios in the high 70F. So I would say that a heater would be good for them, since it is better to have a stable temp. then really cold, fluctuating water temp.
I am in no way a Fish Expert, but I have a couple of years under my belt, So I am mostly talking out of experience. I would appreciate if someone confirmed this info, just so you can have peace of mind.
I hope this helps!
ill have to look into about the water.i know ive to set up the bacteria in the tank before i add fish

Once we know your GH we can help you with stocking. Before you buy the new 20g may I suggest getting a 20 long? This gives you even more options

Most reactions

Back