New fishkeeper

Hi. Can anyone who lives in a hard water area such as colchester give me a few suggestions on what to keep in my planted 200 litre tank. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
The great thing about this hobby is that there are always great options. Hard water fish include most livebearers (guppies, platies, mollies, swordtails), African cichlids, and rainbowfish. One thing though. African cichlids are a great looking fish but they don't go well with plants.

I have seen some nice assorted rainbow fish in my Lfs they are slightly bigger than the WCMM.. Maybe some sort of teras species or gourami

You’d need to be a little more specific 😅 there are lots of different kinds of rainbow fish and tetras, and they can all have different water parameters.
For instance a black banded rainbow fish prefers soft water compared to a kamaka or celebes which don’t mind hard water. A dwarf rainbow fish prefers a cooler temp to a threadfin.
I used to keep rainbow fish so I did a lot of research.
Generally speaking most of these fish are happy at about 25°c but you need to be careful when considering which ones you’re going to go for.
And again hardness needs to be considered as well.
The WCMM prefers cooler temps up to about 24°c.
Gouramis should be ok except dwarf gouramis as they prefer soft water.

Hi thanks for your advice
Cal/Carb 321.838
Deg German 18.28
Pristella maxillaris (x ray tetra) suit a wide hardness range, they are small fish that won't otgrow your tank - some of the gouramis and rainbows are larger.

Pristella maxillaris (x ray tetra) suit a wide hardness range, they are small fish that won't otgrow your tank - some of the gouramis and rainbows are larger.
Thanks for advice. I saw some x ray tetra in my Lfs the other day. They are a good looking fish. That is definitely an option. Cheers

Hi all. So in one of my recent posts I mentioned I have pretty much made up my mind to get some w/g cmm. I think I may add some emperor tetras next. For my 200 Roma. What do people think?

Most reactions

Back