New fishkeeper

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Would I be able to use the WCMM's in a fish in cycle
I am getting some good ideas from u lot. Perhaps I will do a hard water community with GWCMM,s and WCMM,s with some rice fish and cherry barbs. Maybe A couple of large rainbow fish as centerpieces. What do u think?

I am getting some good ideas from u lot. Perhaps I will do a hard water community with GWCMM,s and WCMM,s with some rice fish and cherry barbs. Maybe A couple of large rainbow fish as centerpieces. What do u think?
Maybe not large rainbows. might eat the smaller fish!!!

Maybe not large rainbows. might eat the smaller fish!!!
Rainbow fish are omnivores but unlikely to eat other fish, normally their diet consists of dried fish food, flakes or frozen food, and in the wild they eat algae, small crustaceans and insect larvae

Rainbow fish are omnivores but unlikely to eat other fish, normally their diet consists of dried fish food, flakes or frozen food, and in the wild they eat algae, small crustaceans and insect larvae
Ok. Fair enough.Cheers for that

Rainbow fish will eat whatever they can fit in their mouths...thankfully they have small mouths 😂 they do like to live in a group though so you'll need at least 5 I'd say

Would I be able to use the WCMM's in a fish in cycle
I would not do a fish-in cycle with any fish. It means subjecting fish to ammonia then nitrite and means daily large water changes. Fishless cycling is a lot easier even if it means no fish for a few weeks.

There are several other species of rice fish besides medaka (Oryzias latipes). I once had Daisy's rice fish, Oryzias woworae which have metallic blue males and yellow females both with red edges to their fins.

I would not do a fish-in cycle with any fish. It means subjecting fish to ammonia then nitrite and means daily large water changes. Fishless cycling is a lot easier even if it means no fish for a few weeks.

There are several other species of rice fish besides medaka (Oryzias latipes). I once had Daisy's rice fish, Oryzias woworae which have metallic blue males and yellow females both with red edges to their fins.
How readily available are they in. Lfs's though

I got mine from an independent local LFS though I have seen them occasionally in Maidenhead Aquatics. I was told years ago by a worker in MA that they can order in any fish on 'the list' so maybe ask if they can get some.

I got mine from an independent local LFS though I have seen them occasionally in Maidenhead Aquatics. I was told years ago by a worker in MA that they can order in any fish on 'the list' so maybe ask if they can get some.
Yeah that's what they told me. I visited Braintree,s one the other day. It's not a big shop but they have a nice selection.

So. I think I have made up my mind about my first fishes. When my tank is finally up and running. About WCMM mixed with some gold variants.

Hi I mentioned in a previous post that my first fish would be WCMM,s because they do look really cool and are very tough fish for water hardness and temp. Obviously I would quite like to add some more fish that are more heat sensitive. What would be the best tank temp for this so all fish thrive

I have seen some nice assorted rainbow fish in my Lfs they are slightly bigger than the WCMM.. Maybe some sort of teras species or gourami

Most reactions

Back