New Tank Beginnings...

blimey you lot are wimps.... :p

Trust me, i did a Design Technology A-Level where I learnt about compressed strength and tortional strength as well as how to build sturdy structures. The weight is properly and proportionally distributed with extra support from the back and sides of the stand.

We have tanks as big as this at work in our Quarentine room on pathetic stands that have been there for years.

Ben

If you look at the stand that comes with the Juwel Vision 450, their biggest tank, the stand is utterly flimsy by comparison to mine. Ok, my tank is another 200L, but still it is by far alot better constructed. The main issue is that the weight is evenly distributed, which it is.

Ben

This is very true, Juwel tank stands are patheticly weak until you put the shelves in...which are removeable :eek:

and my 4x2x2 stand is only made out of some plastic coated wood about 1/2" thick but it's based around a solid back which gives it the strength and stability, i doubted it at first but the company reassured me!

looking great ben i wish my new tnak was that size!! but tehn mine was only 80 quid

i can't wait to see it up and runnign with those cats

is it me or is the bottom of the unit wavey - as in distorted...

yep it is... the centre support has pushed the ply downwards between the 2 iner legs.

Just wondering, did you varnish or water protect your wood? I know concrete releases moisture and it would rot eventually, but I think I remember you saying it's not going to be permanent so nevermind! Looking good :clap:

Smithrc - I see it too, but maybe the wood was warped from the beginning? Or maybe it's just an optical illusion...somehow -_-

i agree with the centre pole so just remove the struts or do whatever. go for it looking good.
al

Nice DIY.

I think it could have given a little more support if you place the struts directly under the support columns
Like this

6fttank.jpg

Here are a few pics of my 180g DIY stand (its quite a tank)

pic2.jpg

pic4.jpg

Lots of fish went in over the last week, Readings are spot on and the dual filters are doing a great job...

Pics will follow :D Don't worry!

Ben

What can we see.... Pim. Blochii, Pim. Pictus, Sorubim Lima, and lotsa wood...
6fttankLATEST2.jpg

Whole tank shot! Sexy Lighting, and look how small the shovelnose looks in that bottom corner!
6fttankLATEST.jpg

And one of the latest aquisitions...
lima.jpg

Ben :p

Most reactions

Back