New Salty: My 29

Will be upgrading to 30-3w leds DIY from Rapid Led, enough? And maybe just 1 cleaner shrimp, good?

Also this stuff will be added after 1-2 years to let you know. Not enough $$$ to support a big purchase like that :lol:

hmm... 1-2 years is forevvvvvvver long away for a fish tank bro. You will just have to do things one step at a time. It will be less than a year before you snab some of these im sure. Gotta remember birthdays and xmas right?

-Tyler

B-day's in October hmmmmm.... :lol:

You're right, it's a long time, I hope my tank lasts that long :)

Went to the LFS to pick up some Mysis and Pellets for the fish and picked up a GSP frag for $5. I have gotten all of my frags from him for $5

Five dollar frags..... FRAGTASTIC :yahoo:

Light is coming tomorrow, pics when on the tank.

I like that. Fragtastic. :lol: Gsp is great. Ive got a whole rock of it, its really cool. For online corals, inverts and fish, have you tried Reefs2Go? I will be ordering soon, very nice prices.

The BTA anem will need halides.

Eh...I would normally argue about the lighting requirements, but I'm going to have to agree in the sense of saying "no" to anemones in this tank.

Nems wander, so that means either stocking corals sparsely or accepting that stuff can/will get toasted if the anemone thrives and grows. Full colonies of stuff can sometimes survive a nem passing through, but a frag is less likely to be able to absorb the damage and will probably just get obliterated. The same is an issue for stuff that can wonder into an anemone, like other smaller anemones and mushrooms. I had two mushrooms nuked because they decided to go for a walk after splitting and blew into an anemone - I just found goo afterwards and no trace of anything salvagable. The situation can also go the other way; there are examples of anemones that have been melted by things they tried to cross while on the move.

And nevermind the powerhead risks and how tricky nems are on the invert fragility scale anyway as far as acclimation and stress if param swings happen...basically they are just not for beginners with well-stocked tanks.

Haven't hear of them, will look into it. I've been looking at AquaSD,good prices as well :good:

Btw what happened to maroon clowns? You threw them out :whistle: *don't mind the clowns* :whistle:

Now it's pep shrimp???

:lol:

Donya, what about just a Maxi Mini, will a percula host it?

Just accidentally deleted my 20 pic update I will do it later, I'm frustrated :angry:

Picture update I was going to do but deleted, let's see if I can remember what I wrote :crazy: Ok.....

Look at what came today from Mr. UPS man.... :shifty:
IMG_5140.jpg

Out of the box with moon Leds, nice quality but a little bright
IMG_5142.jpg

Full power, makes the rest of the room dark, has about 5x as much light wattage as the room I was in
IMG_5145.jpg

On tank, full power, no difference on camera with 1/2 power
IMG_5155.jpg

Corals under the new lights, my $5 paly frag with now 7 heads!! One head is in the back
IMG_5158.jpg

Another
IMG_5161.jpg

Sweet $5 GSP about 20-35 polyps, to lazy to count
IMG_5165.jpg

These zoos are neon under the moon leds, need a pic soon of that, but, the polyps haven't been opening up much in the past several days and no new growth in a month, should I be concerned??
IMG_5166.jpg

YWG new burrow
IMG_5169.jpg

Porcelain right to the left of the YWG
IMG_5170.jpg

Chiton, great $2.50 aglae eater that looks cool as well, his whole body is like a mouth, his path leaves cleanliness
IMG_5171.jpg

Largest hermit, EBH, first critter in the tank, got him at 1/4" now his shell is 1"
IMG_5172.jpg

Random Nassarius snail, so cool
IMG_5175.jpg

Fire angel, doing well, filling up on copepods :lol:
IMG_5179.jpg

Brittle star
IMG_5180.jpg

Algae problem, smaller now
IMG_5181.jpg

Blue moon LEDs at night
IMG_5189.jpg

I had more pics to show but stupid photobucket deleted my pichers :sad: , stupid photobucket :angry:

That's all for now :good:

Wow, i love your aquascape! Im interested in that light, how much was it and whats the name of it? :big_boss:

Don't worry about the zoas, they will come around eventually. I accidentally blew some sand into mine and they were pissed for a month. Now they are open and growing like crazy.

Tank looking good mate. Hopefully more of that bacteria will take to the rocks soon and help with filtration.

-Tyler

Donya, what about just a Maxi Mini, will a percula host it?

This is something you should research yourself. There are plenty of good resources even online that describe documented hosting combinations. I have never kept perculas.

But...I still can't recommend an anemone of any sort for this tank. Too new, too much of a densely planned stocking, and that powerhead would have to be covered to eliminate the risk of waking up to a tank full of anemone soup one day.

These zoos are neon under the moon leds, need a pic soon of that, but, the polyps haven't been opening up much in the past several days and no new growth in a month, should I be concerned??

Every now and then I've seen a frag that just takes off like wild fire upon getting into a tank, but the vast majority have an obvious settling in period. A month of no growth is nothing really. However, a month of not opening fully can be a different situation. If the polyps have been acting stressed the whole time, particularly if some polyps have never opened at all, there may be something attacking them when you're not looking. Common predator hitchhikers like zoa spiders and nudibranchs are often not visible most of the time but will keep nibbling at the polyps just enough to keep them closed and healing instead of open and growing. If you didn't dip your corals prior to introducing them, those kinds of things are a risk.

Thanks guys :good:

Wow, i love your aquascape! Im interested in that light, how much was it and whats the name of it? :big_boss:

It is an Odyssea 4x24w T5 for $75 on eBay from topdogsellers

I will research maxi-minis and percs, thanks Donya

I will be going to the LFS and thinking about Cyclopeeze for the zoas, gsp and future corals. Any other foods you guys use or recommend instead of Cyclopeeze?

In a few weeks to a month I was thinking of getting a clown goby, what species or colors do you recommend???

Some polyps have been closed for about a week (since I changed my aquascape) and there was sand everywhere so now I'm not concerned

Thanks, again, I have worked really hard on this tank :good:

Most reactions

Back