New Large Tank

Talkmuch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,

I will be getting a large tank for christmas :D and am planning to put some large fish in the tank.
There are 2 spots in the house (both in the basement) where a big tank may fit.

First spot (by a billiardl/tennis table):
Lenth: 6 ft.
Width: 4 ft.
Depth: 2.5 ft.
This gives me 448.83 US gallons and 3734.72 lbs.

Second spot:
Lenth: 11 ft.
Width: 3 ft.
This gives me 565.71 US gallons and 4707.31 lbs

It'll be hard getting the tank in the basement (width of the stairs is 2.5 ft.) but I think it'll be possible.
I plan on having mainly an oddball tank, So far these are the fish im intrested in:

-Arowana
-Any type of Bichir
-Any type of Eel
-Any type of Ray
-Knifefish
-Basically any large catifish (African Shovelnose, Channel catfish, Hoplo catfish, Shovelnose catfish)
-Some kind of large shark maybe

I am really confused on which catfish. I am mainly looking for big catfish, can be suitable with the tankmates, and obviously a personality.

Thx in advance :)

i keep all the fish on your list with a Brachyplatystoma Juruense
i would say hoplo and african shovelnose are to small for those tank mates.
how about brachyplatystoma tigrinis?they are beautiful catfish
heres my juruense

Attachments

• fat_cat.JPG
    fat_cat.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 92
  • catf.JPG
    catf.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 67
Gorgeous pics.
Brachyplatystoma Juruense it is then.
Will they do fine with other bottom dwellers like rays??

Hey,

I will be getting a large tank for christmas :D and am planning to put some large fish in the tank.

Second spot:

It'll be hard getting the tank in the basement (width of the stairs is 2.5 ft.) but I think it'll be possible.
I plan on having mainly an oddball tank, So far these are the fish im intrested in:

-Arowana
-Any type of Bichir
-Any type of Eel
-Any type of Ray
-Knifefish
-Basically any large catifish (African Shovelnose, Channel catfish, Hoplo catfish, Shovelnose catfish)

I am really confused on which catfish. I am mainly looking for big catfish, can be suitable with the tankmates, and obviously a personality.

I would chose a silver arowana for the aro,as for knifefish I would chose a clownknife. A irredenct shark would be good for that tank. For catfish try a tigrnis. Or a ornate oim.tiger_clown_knife.jpg This is a clownknife. A tiger clownknife.

Hey,

Second spot:

-Arowana
-Any type of Bichir
-Any type of Eel
-Any type of Ray
-Knifefish

I would chose a silver arowana for the aro,as for knifefish I would chose a clownknife. A irredenct shark would be good for that tank. For catfish try a tigrnis. Or a ornate oim.View attachment 39820 This is a clownknife. A tiger clownknife.

Actually thats a royal knife fish, Chitala blanci. A close relative of the clown knife but a different species which doesnt quite reach the same sizes as the clown Chitala chitala.

i would be careful if you go for a clown knife,i dont know if royals are the same but clowns can be bullies.
my ck beat up my juruense quite bad during the first night together but it has never happened since

Well, might aswell go for a black knife fish then.
Both catfish are tempting. I'll see which one (if any) are avaible at the lfs. If they are i'll tell em to reserve it for me.
They both are equally gorgeous.

Would 3 ft. with and 2.5 ft. height be good enough for an Aro and one of the two catfish?

beware tigrinis are expensive i saw a 20"one up for £1000 on aquarists classifieds :crazy:
3ft is a great width for rays,aros and those catfish.height isnt as importatant 2ft would probably do.
how long is this monster tank gonna be?

I have room for 11 ft., but it turns out my dad is building a bar there.
So I'll probaly have to find another spot. Im going with 10 ft. lenth.

are you sure you will be able to get a 10x3x2 glass tank down the stairs to your basement?that is gonna weigh a ton and be awkward as hell

Well actually, it'll most likely be arcylic.
And my basement stairs width is 2.5 ft. in depth. So i guess i can get it to fit, as my height will be 2.5 ft.
And the site i'm getting it from, comes to our home and assembles it. So, maybe, it might come unassembled in a box, and they cold assemble it. If they could do that then i might get a depth of maybe 3 ft. We'll see though. I'll probaly call them, and ask them te details today.
Thx for all the help so far. :D

thats why i suggested acrylic in that other thread it will be so much easier :nod:
are you in the US?how much is a tank like that setting you back?

Most reactions

Back