Myths Of Fishkeeping.

every tank has to have an algae eater

there are special cleaner fish that eat all the debris/fish poo so you never have to do any maintenance

Its the thing that people believe they have to have an algae eater when they get algae in their tanks that gets me- fair enough if you've always wanted one, but i often see people just trying to find algae eaters that'll go in their tanks simply because they have algae -_- .
Its almost like they never consider that they can just scrape the algae off themselves, leave the tank lights on a little less and make sure they are not over-feeding- too much light and excess of nutrients in the tank is often the no.1 cause of algae in tanks.
I also don't like it that much when people refer to algae eating or scavenging fish as "clean-up crews"- in reality, most algae eating fish poop a huge amount and scavenging fish like cories don't exactly clean up the tank much and still need to be individually fed just as much as any other fish. I just think "clean-up crew" is the wrong way to veiw fish who eat algae of eat by filtering through water or substrate etc :| .

On the show Mythbusters they actually did a test on Goldfish to see if they had a 3 second memory (yes, 3) and it was busted, it was clear they have a much longer memory.

They did this by training them to go through holes, and even after weeks they could still do it...

That the insides of a fish will keep growing even if the fish isn't

How does stunting a fish affect it's health? I don't know how it works, but have always been told he above statement.

exactly my question too! and i was going to ask how come fish dont get stunted then. so..how come? lol

Read an interesting book on the subject of water changes and, specifically, planted tanks. The author states she does water changes up to 6 months apart. It has to do with natural filtration. The name of the book is The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad
If you have a very high plant load, and very low fish load (like a small shoal of neons in a 30 gallon tank) then you can get away wothout water changes as the waste from the fish is all used up by the plants (and as plants prefer ammonia to nitrate you don't need a filter) and the extra bits the plants need are put in by the addition of macro and micro fertilisers.

This forms the stepping stone towards using algae as a filter which is the most effective form of nutrient export available rendering both Live Rock and Skimmers virtually useless in marine tanks, despite higher fish loads and feeding regimes.

Stunting affects the fish by having it cramped and unable to move naturally increasing stress levels. In extreme cases it can cause physical distortion. An old LFS near me had a couple of koi in that were huge (around the 3 foot mark) but had curved spines where the pond was too small so they had been permanently swimming round and round in circles.

That bettas will eat the roots of the peace lilly. I told a lady that came in at work that that was a myth, told her they were carnivores and needed betta pellets (while pointing to the pellets). I don't think she listened to me, as she walked out with only a betta and water conditioner (she was planning on putting it in a vase, and asked if we carried peace lillies). Sometimes I hate being young, nobody listens to you :(

Sometimes I hate being young, nobody listens to you :(

i know the feling as whenever i try to help a customer in a lfs or a young employee that actually knows what they are talking about, the customer always acts like they know more because they are older and know more than you. well not always, but a lot of the time.

I'm old and alot of times noone listens to me... double whammy. :(

Another myth: You can't overfeed fish because of their instinct to survive.

And let's add to this the twin myth: that it is good for fish to be kept on permanent starvation levels because that is how they live in the while. No, it isn't: in the wild, food supplies fluctuate. If they stay permanently lower than a population needs, that population will stabilise itself, by fish ceasing to breed, and by fish dying off, and sometimes by fish growth being stunted. Which is not what the aquarist had in mind.

And let's add to this the twin myth: that it is good for fish to be kept on permanent starvation levels because that is how they live in the while. No, it isn't: in the wild, food supplies fluctuate. If they stay permanently lower than a population needs, that population will stabilise itself, by fish ceasing to breed, and by fish dying off, and sometimes by fish growth being stunted. Which is not what the aquarist had in mind.

There's the third myth that its beneficial to starve your fish every now and then- this is only true for some fish species/types, like some predatory or large fish out there, but for small fish like guppys and platys its really not that great for them as they only have short little stomaches/guts and quickly go hungry. In the wild they are used to a small but relitavely constant supply of food, so small regular meals are best for them- many people think its only beneficial to give fry small regular meals, but for small adult fish out there in general its also beneficial for them to get small regular meals.

I find that small regular meals are more ideal for small fish, while relatively large not so regular meals are beneficial for larger fish who have long guts that can easily handle not going with food for a day or two(many large fish have simply evolved to be large so they can have long guts just for this situation). But you still have to take the fish's natural habitat into consideration as this does not always hold true.

Many large plecs out there live in hot climates in the wild, where throughout a part of the year their lake/river dries up and the plec has to dig itself a hole in a mud bank to hide in it while the lake/river dries up (sort of like a lung fish survival stategy), so it can wait out the lack of water and food in a wet or semi-floaded mud hole in a bank out of the glaring heat and killer sun.
This can last for months in some countries. I remember seeing all this on a wildlife documentory series called 'Survival"(looked quite old, maybe 80's or 70's or even earlier judging from the film quality and things), they also showed kribs in the same climate. Kribs live in a similar climate to the large plecs and catfish on this particular documentory, although the adult kribs do not have any survival stategy like the catfish- they breed/spawn just before the lake/river dries up and lay their eggs in the lake/river bed.
The kribs always die during the dry season as their lakes and rivers dry up but their eggs make it through surviving in damp areas of the river/lake bed- when the waters and rains return, the rivers and lakes are full of dried dead adult kribs and other fish that didn't make it through the dry season, causing an algae bloom when the waters return- this makes ideal food though for the newly hatched krib fry as they feast on their dead parents and algae, and also for other fish returning hungry to the lakes and rivers :nod: .

But is starvation always good for these types of catfish/plecs? No, because plecs like common and sailfin plecs grow a considerable amount in their first year (an 1inch+ a month usually), they do this because in the wild they would need to grow an aweful lot before the droubt/dry season sets in so they can be big enough to cope with the dry season- too small and they don't have the size or physical energy to make it through. But this is ok because during the wet season there is usually plenty of food to do this.
So starving young/growing plecs or ones under a year old is not a good idea because this is ideally not somthing that is supposed to happen, and in general young plecs that don't get a good diet or enough food in aquariums can fall short of their ideal max size, and would naturally not survive in the wild if this happened.
So with plecs its important to give them a varied good regular supply of food when they are young and growing, but to give starving/fasting day once a week or so and increase the protein in their diets if they are omnivorous (which most plecs and catfish are) after they have attained their max size and are designed/evolved to live with this way of life/diet- this is not a vital or particually important part of keeping some of teh larger catfish species out there, but many have evoled to live this way so it may be beneficial for them.

"Sigh"...theres so much to fish diet :fun: ! I don't think you can put any straightforward rules with fish and feeding, as there is so much to take into consideration :nod: .

The weirdest one i have heard was from a LFS

The pretty fish in the tank that looked as if they are want to be clowns are a breed of clown fish this included lipstick and a flower design on each cheek and because they were so rare justified the £35 price each or a pair for £55

Oh and i was also told that they would live for around 7years

YES this is an actual event !!!!!!!! LOL and yes i now know they were tattooed and what the poor fish went through!! :sick: :X

Some myths LFS's will tell you:

Piranhas and plecos make ideal tankmates :grr:
Bettas are more comfortable in bowls than in large tanks :crazy:
You need a pleco/algae eater in every FW tank :sly:
Brackish water fish will do fine in either freshwater AND saltwater :no:

No ones mentioned one of my favourites yet,

"The Whitespot parasite is present in all aquariums in a dormant stage until your fish get stressed and therefore susceptable!" - Complete TOSH.

"Fish grow to the size of their environment" - That's like me suggesting that putting a human baby in a 2' box will keep it small... ridiculous!

"Goldfish and other coldwater fish dont need filters."

"Buying a filter means that you dont have to do any maintainance" - This one is the worst, people seem to think you only do waterchanges on an unfiltered tank because there is fish poo visible and that once you have a filter it "is there to suck all the poo up" no it isnt!!!

"You never need to test your water so long as you do regular water changes" - While in some cases such as planted aquaria your tank may be very stable. The majority are not and unless you know what is in your water and being produced by your fish, how do you know how much regular maintainance you even need to do???

"Goldfish are easy". nuff said...

ive heard that if u feed some fish chocolate they blow up in front of your face to be honest ive not tested this one

Most reactions

Back