My Seneye Review

Not exactly sure of the upper limit but as long as it's showing it's "in the green" it should be good.

I'm waiting for a response from Seneye for the exact numbers. But with NH3 at 0.001 (perfect) there's no way NH4 could be at a dangerous level. Thanks and you take care too!

Response from Seneye:

"The safe limit for NH4 is a bit of a strange one. You can essentially have as much as you want, provided that none of it is released into the water by a swing in pH (only a problem for highly stocked, high pH aquariums really). The thing is, because the seneye measures NH3, you will always know if any is released."

Yes. I think that's why my Nutrafin liquid ammonia test has a chart where you compare the PH with the ammonia levels and it works out an appropriate level according to the balance of ammonia v PH.

Any info on the oxygen reading - it's green again so I'm not concerned. Just wondered what 8.4 means?

So, I've now got three different views of my Seneye readings - 1) the constant one on my computer screen 2) the Seneye.me one which I sign into on the web 3) the new mobile one. I'm finding that 1 and 3 agree directly with each other but 2 often shows red warnings whilst the other two show green. The graphical readings on 2 often have a red warning for a number of hours ahead eg temp warning for 2 hours ahead. Is this the same for you?

On 2 now we have lighting red and green readings. All three of my lighting readings are red. Does this mean that I need to have my lights on for a longer period? Sorry to ask these questions if you don't know the answers!

I have seen red warnings at a future time on occasion. But the levels did not reach the warning limit. This is probably based on a "better safe than sorry" algorithm in the software to bring your attention to a potential problem. For example, if there is a spike in temp, it would trigger a potential warning in a time frame in the future. As far as lighting, the light sensor on the Seneye is on the back and meant for measurement with user intervention. For example, you would take the device and hold it with the light sensor facing the light and take readings in different areas and depths. This can be useful to check when as lights age, they produce less light and need to be replaced. The light readings will always be red unless your Seneye is oriented with the light sensor up at all times. It does not mean you need your lights on for a longer period. More than 8 hours would be asking for trouble with algae.

Seneye's response on Oxygen levels:

"The Oxygen reading is the maximum theoretical oxygen content of your water. This is based on the water parameters and mainly temperature. As the temperature increases, the water's ability to hold oxygen decreases. The reading given is theoretical because we do not measure it directly, so when you add fish etc it will decrease.

There is no real good range as such. The basic rules are, if the temperature goes up very high you may want to concider increasing circulation. The measurement has most use in ponds where temperature control is much more difficult than in aquariums."

Most reactions

Back