My Planted Tank Journey

Stick with the lead weights paul. Loosely place it around them.

Once they have some roots the weights can be removed.

Pretty sure if you heaped the substrate around the plants they would stay.

Stick with the lead weights paul. Loosely place it around them.

Once they have some roots the weights can be removed.

Pretty sure if you heaped the substrate around the plants they would stay.

Thanks Minnnt. I did try piling up the substrate but as soon as its knocked they easily pop out. So even when the weights are removed is it ok to keep them bunched up or shall I split them out?

Oh and does wisteria die back when added to a new tank - looks a little brown at the top - not sure if it was there when I bought it or if its happened since yesterday.

I am soooo in love with the Bolivians (rams - I never met a real Bolivian) - wish I found out about these earlier.

Bolivians are ace, definately on my to do list!

The only thing with stem plants when bunched is that the bases can suffer from a deficiency of light. Very suprised that they are coming loose, how deep is the substrate?

Bolivians are ace, definately on my to do list!

The only thing with stem plants when bunched is that the bases can suffer from a deficiency of light. Very suprised that they are coming loose, how deep is the substrate?

2.5" - 3" in that area. What do you think on the co2 tube idea?

Oh, and as for the wisteria, i binned mine, it went brown within days.
Thanks again minnnt, I will give them time to develop some roots and then try again.

I thought wisteria was impossible to kill lol.

lol you've got mad skillz minnnt. I haven't managed to kill mine and they sat in a bucket of cold water for 4 days when I got them!

I iz well bad innit bled.

Maybe that's were I'm going wrong then, I just put mine straight into the tank... :rolleyes:

Journal Entry

Now I need to take a look at my lighting. Currently I have 2 x 30" 25w T8 tubes and a stupidly sized 23.5" 20w T8 tube. I have just replaced the smaller one as it had stopped working but I believe the two 30" tubes are well over a year old. So I will replace these as well.

I think in an attempt to get the most out of my lights I will also add some tin foil to the back of the hood.

Ideally I would like to retro fit a T5HO unit but I simply do not have the funds for this yet.

Hi Paul, I added some "mirror on a roll" to the hood of my last tank and I do think it helped! I found it on amazon and TBH I've got loads left, if you want it. I don't know how much there is but I could measure it if you're interested?? You can see the stuff here, post #56 http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/390596-48l-bettacommunity-tank-journal/page__st__40
Hi AA

That looks really good - If its to hand would you mind measuring it for me? How did you find the condensation - did it peel off at all?

Thanks AA

Journal Entry

I thought I would try out my DIY co2 tube plant anchor idea thingy with my cabomba.

So I cut up several 1" pieces of CO2 tube and cut these down the middle:

I then bent these in half to cut a slit in them:

and then inserted 3-4 stems in each:

The seem to be pretty well held in now - I guess time will tell if these work to stop one of my fish from uprooting them.

Most reactions

Back