My Planted Tank Journey

Journal Entry

In preperation for some new fish at the weekend ( female bolivian rams and neons) I decided to re-home my single mickey mouse platy and 2 harlequin rasboras. Now these were difficult enough to catch in an empty tank - they we a PITA to catch when it's full of plants!

Took 20-25 minutes to catch these, the Rasboras were pretty easy but that platy knew all the good hiding places.

Journal Entry

In preperation for some new fish at the weekend ( female bolivian rams and neons) I decided to re-home my single mickey mouse platy and 2 harlequin rasboras. Now these were difficult enough to catch in an empty tank - they we a PITA to catch when it's full of plants!

Took 20-25 minutes to catch these, the Rasboras were pretty easy but that platy knew all the good hiding places.

Yikes. Did you at least play some music and shake your booty while you splashed around? :kana:

Journal Entry

Yikes. Did you at least play some music and shake your booty while you splashed around? :kana:
lol - no - I wanted to hit the pub after 10 mins :)

Used two nets after a while but he still managed to get past them several times. They should definitely make this an olympic sport :)

:lol: Yeah, but only if you dance while you net! Otherwise, where's the athleticism? I just had to catch 30 platy fry the other day, so I get what you mean.

Journal Entry

Well I have installed my two new 30" T8s and flipping eck, how bright are they!

I bought a daylight and a tropical from AE made by Arcadia for a very reasonable price.

Journal Update

Well I must be doing something right thanks to all the advice on this forum - I HAVE PLANT GROWTH!!!!!!!

The Anubius has several new leaves.
The crypts are sprouting new leaves (I had to remove a dodgy leaf today and accidentally pulled it out of the substrate - the roots were a good 2.5 - 3" which is pretty good since I cut them right back a week and a half ago).
The Amazon swords seem to be doing well - now the dead leaves have gone, they are looking nice and green and some new ones have appeared :)
The Wisteria is showing no further signs of deterioration.
The mystery plant at the back has new growth.

My CO2 tubing anchors seem to be holding well - I haven't had any loose plants since installing them so chuffed with that :)

Sounds like a good day then! :good: Keep us updated on those anchors then, if the stems of the plants don't react badly then I might try something like that. My play sand tank always ends up with stems floating.

Journal Update

Went to my nearest MA today with my youngest who loves Eddie the giant gourami fish they have on display. Whilst meggie and Eddie were blowing kisses at each other I bought 10 additional neons which brings my shoal to 14. Also picked up a beautiful sword plant as well. As the guy at MA was showing me round some planted tanks he asked me if I had ever tried moss and then proceeded to give me a clump of it for nothing :)

Meggie said goodbye to Eddie and we went home. Neons look stunning in the new lights.

Journal Entry

Well plants seem to continue growing (Wisteria and Cabomba mostly) so very pleased with that. Here is a quick snap shot before I shoot off:

I have been thinking about another little project I want to do and that is a live stream of my aquarium. I see other people have done this but none seem to be up and running so I thought I would have a go. I would like to be able to stream night vision as well but I'm not sure if the infra red leds used in such devices would have an effect on the fish.

I really pleased with how the Wisteria is doing and the cambomba is growing taller as well. The problem with the cabomba is that it is growing 'leggy'. There are large gaps between the leaf sets. I'm guessing this is down to my lighting but unfortunately I can't do a lot about that right now.

Unbelievably (for me) the vallis has grown, some leaves are starting to lay on the surface - even the moss seems to have spread in only a few days (may be my eye sight) :)

Most reactions

Back