My Managerie of Tanks

Love the overhead rasbora pics! I may have too much duckweed & vallisneria combover to ever see them like that. Time for a weeding soon, lol.

Mine are lined up at the top waiting for dinner. With an occasional look at me, they're being patient. Only 9 or sometimes 10 school together. I don't see the other 2 much but I don't know that they've died. Those 2 never did hang with the main group.

Love the overhead rasbora pics! I may have too much duckweed & vallisneria combover to ever see them like that. Time for a weeding soon, lol.

Mine are lined up at the top waiting for dinner. With an occasional look at me, they're being patient. Only 9 or sometimes 10 school together. I don't see the other 2 much but I don't know that they've died. Those 2 never did hang with the main group.
I had a ton of duckweed at one point in this tank too.

The sarawaks ate it all lol now it's just some water lettuce and last bits of salvinia lol

And yessss they line up begging for food, they know when it's time to be fed and they wait and stare

Well, if they eat duckweed, mine are set for all the snacks they could want! Mine seem to prefer flakes.

They're doing impatient darting, I'll feed them now, there's only so much nagging I can take :D

@fishorama

I used to have so much in that tank lol wasn't expecting a fish to eat it. Like, outside of rainbowfish or such. My old rainbowfish loved to eat duckweed lol and I'd use duckweed from this tank to feed to my goldfish when I had too much of it.

Just another reason to like them! Maybe the impatient darting was them having duckweed as a starter salad course. They don't need to work at finding it.

The duckweed didn't really take off until I put prefilters on my filter intakes. Both to allow some sewellia loaches' eggs to have a better survival chance & to have to clean filters less often. I scoop out a lot each water change & rinse out the prefilters.

@fishorama feeding them today at dinner time

They're a bunch of sharks lol

I hope mine weren't looking at your video, lol. Your (blind?) cherry barb seems to have no problem keeping up with the rasbora feeding frenzy.

I hope mine weren't looking at your video, lol. Your (blind?) cherry barb seems to have no problem keeping up with the rasbora feeding frenzy.
That's one of the boys who's not blind. One was born inside my filter and the other boy I have was born in a container of tank water left to sit for weeks without me knowing a fish hatched in it lol

It's the ladies who are left who are still the blind ones. There's 3 ladies left and 2 boys l.

20230106_214635.jpg

I love the algae pearling! Had no idea such a simple thing was this interesting 😂

I love my kuhlis! Pool noodles are so much fun to watch!

I'm thinking I will get the Dennerle 55L, for when my guppies start multiplying. Some sand, some subwassertang and guppy grass for plants. I'd want to move my noodles there for the sand instead of gravel, it makes me sad they can't sift through. I'll add some tight rocks or slates for them to hide in.
Maybe I'd add in some fish that won't eat the fry? Just no idea what. Some nice branches as well for sure! I should stop rambling 😂

Also the blind barb 😯 Poor little guy, at least he's in good hands :)

I love the algae pearling! Had no idea such a simple thing was this interesting 😂

I love my kuhlis! Pool noodles are so much fun to watch!

I'm thinking I will get the Dennerle 55L, for when my guppies start multiplying. Some sand, some subwassertang and guppy grass for plants. I'd want to move my noodles there for the sand instead of gravel, it makes me sad they can't sift through. I'll add some tight rocks or slates for them to hide in.
Maybe I'd add in some fish that won't eat the fry? Just no idea what. Some nice branches as well for sure! I should stop rambling 😂

Also the blind barb 😯 Poor little guy, at least he's in good hands :)
You know those tubes for some lines of filters and pond pumps, etc?

p_1000fdkz150064.jpg

You can use this, bury part under the substrate and/or weigh it down with rocks... creates a fun shelter for loaches. My noodles love theirs. I have mine tied in a U shape with some fishing line and weighed down under the hardscape in their tank.
It'll float if not weighed down though, so keep this in mind.

Can take fishing line and tie on some moss and such too where it is exposed if you want to hide an unnatural looking thing in your tank ;)

My noodles love their sußwassertang too. They scatter it all over their tank though, there's no keeping it neat haha

As for the barb, she's one of a few blind ones. Couple years back had an incident with my kid getting hand sanitizer in their tank. Lost a lot of fish from it, but many survivors went blind. Some recovered their eyesight in one or both eyes. Not so much for the barbs. I worried for first while how they'd cope being blind, but they've done great and have lived long old lives since without issues with it.

Oh but because they're blind, they sometimes sleep in weird places. I'll turn tank light on and have a heart attack because this is often how I find them sleeping!
20230109_155459.jpg

You know those tubes for some lines of filters and pond pumps, etc?

View attachment 350846

You can use this, bury part under the substrate and/or weigh it down with rocks... creates a fun shelter for loaches. My noodles love theirs. I have mine tied in a U shape with some fishing line and weighed down under the hardscape in their tank.
It'll float if not weighed down though, so keep this in mind.

Can take fishing line and tie on some moss and such too where it is exposed if you want to hide an unnatural looking thing in your tank ;)

My noodles love their sußwassertang too. They scatter it all over their tank though, there's no keeping it neat haha

As for the barb, she's one of a few blind ones. Couple years back had an incident with my kid getting hand sanitizer in their tank. Lost a lot of fish from it, but many survivors went blind. Some recovered their eyesight in one or both eyes. Not so much for the barbs. I worried for first while how they'd cope being blind, but they've done great and have lived long old lives since without issues with it.
That's a really good idea with the tube! I'll find a way to make great tunnels for them :)

Oh I don't mind if mine would scatter it around! 😂 It's more of a fun toy hide for fry and noodles rather than a 'must look' thing :)

Oh I'm sorry to hear about the accident!
That's what I am scared of while keeping fish, I love my guppies too much. Glad to hear about them surviving and doing well tho! ❤️

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring up the sad event again. You & I have discussed it before, wasn't it a few years ago? I find it amazing what our fish can live through & still thrive again :cool:

Jinx, some of my kuhlis liked to hang out in tall or floating plants. Scared us all when I saw them do it the first few times. I reached in & touched 1 & we both freaked out! Then it got so I could reach in for water changes, etc. & they never moved. Maybe the most mellow fish I've kept. Mine were semicincta (a species of striped). My black p. oblonga in the same tank were not so mellow, always active. Which species do you have?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring up the sad event again. You & I have discussed it before, wasn't it a few years ago? I find it amazing what our fish can live through & still thrive again :cool:
Nah it's all good! The barbs have amazed me with how sturdy they are and how well they adapted. It was horrible, but they've shown how impressive fish healing and adaptation is. They're the last affected fish I've got left from that incident though.

I'm betting you had a thread here on the pandemic incident. You're good about sharing your experiences, both good & very bad. That's how we all learn. Thank you for that! & all your wonderful pics too!

Most reactions

Back