My Managerie of Tanks

Wow! What a fin.
Does he get stuck under anything?
I had nooo idea they got that long
How big is your pleco, looks gorgeous.
Oops doesn't get stuck in anything luckily, he's able to fold that fin right back over himself and fit anywhere he normally would.

I actually took the L240 out not too long ago for a size check. He's about 6.5 inches at the moment, he's still got about 3 more inches to go. But this is a very very slow growing species.
20240618_092442.jpg

20240618_092346.jpg

Fun fact, he's a "vampire" pleco, a meat eating species and he's got the teeth to show it! They're pretty sharp pinchers too.
20240618_092358.jpg

And some in water pics
20240622_222408.jpg

20240116_195647.jpg

20240119_201103.jpg

20221001_183703-1.jpg

He was so small when I first got him
20200824_120132.jpg

Lucky though to get 1 inch a year of growth with these guys.

Oops doesn't get stuck in anything luckily, he's able to fold that fin right back over himself and fit anywhere he normally would.

I actually took the L240 out not too long ago for a size check. He's about 6.5 inches at the moment, he's still got about 3 more inches to go. But this is a very very slow growing species.
View attachment 350124
View attachment 350125

Fun fact, he's a "vampire" pleco, a meat eating species and he's got the teeth to show it! They're pretty sharp pinchers too.
View attachment 350126

And some in water pics
View attachment 350123
View attachment 350127
View attachment 350128
View attachment 350129

He was so small when I first got him
View attachment 350130

Lucky though to get 1 inch a year of growth with these guys.
Wow. Thanks for all the pics.
He's a gorgeous little fella.
Do they have scales like metal?
Our 8 inch pleco is like holding a thrashing rock.
Heres a pic of our Albino Sailfin pleco

Attachments

• IMG_20240807_203542.jpg
    IMG_20240807_203542.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 8
Wow. Thanks for all the pics.
He's a gorgeous little fella.
Do they have scales like metal?
Our 8 inch pleco is like holding a thrashing rock.
Heres a pic of our Albino Sailfin pleco
These guys feel more like holding a rock covered in the sharper half of velcro! They have a lot of stiff "hairs" on the body called odontodes and they're really tough. I've got a common pleco in a larger tank, Pterygoplichthys pardalis for species, and while he feels like a rock, he lacks the sharp texture from not having odontodes like the L240 does.

You can see the odontodes in this picture of the L240
20240811_222354.jpg

And this is my P. Pardalis named Ugg. I love him a lot, though I wouldn't go of my way to buy a common pleco due to their size. An old coworker was taking down her tank and asked me to take him in. I had the tank space for this species, so I did. He will eventually reach 16 inches. He's currently around 14ish?
20240121_211353.jpg
20240812_211050.jpg

Can see his more armor like texture.
20240315_152635.jpg

Even among plecos they have varying textures.

The odontodes on my panaqolus l448 are even sharper! But he's also male and males get super long odontodes by their tails, as far as panaqolus go.
20240622_183616.jpg
20240322_192105.jpg

Most common plecos I've seen have been a mottled brown colour, and no where near the sleek, elegant, almost black common pleco you have! But then again, most common plecos I've seen haven't been in big enough tanks or have been otherwise neglected, so perhaps he's an especially pretty one just by luck, or maybe being kept in the right conditions and on a great diet has made the difference!

Whatever the cause, he's breathtaking! Literally took a breath and said "wow!" to myself at the latest pic. But also, love the video of him in motion, and when he's around the huge fancy goldfish, also gives a better scale for size!

The light is out on my roomies tank or I would post a pic of our big guy, I think he's the same genre as yours.
Having not kept plecos myself I havent done any in depth reading on them.
Its nice to know the official names for these appendages.
I moved in somewhere that has the two large plecos.
My fave is the Albino.
Shes so cool when munching her biscuits or a nice piece of Zucchini.
I have breeding Cory's and Blue Velvet shrimps, a pair of Kribensis (separate tank) and just acquired a pretty little Veiltail betta

The light is out on my roomies tank or I would post a pic of our big guy, I think he's the same genre as yours.
My fave is the Albino.
I have breeding Cory's and Blue Velvet shrimps, a pair of Kribensis (separate tank) and just acquired a pretty little Veiltail betta

Ooohh, what kind of cories? Photos if you can, please! :D (Cass and I both love catfish)

Most common plecos I've seen have been a mottled brown colour, and no where near the sleek, elegant, almost black common pleco you have! But then again, most common plecos I've seen haven't been in big enough tanks or have been otherwise neglected, so perhaps he's an especially pretty one just by luck, or maybe being kept in the right conditions and on a great diet has made the difference!

Whatever the cause, he's breathtaking! Literally took a breath and said "wow!" to myself at the latest pic. But also, love the video of him in motion, and when he's around the huge fancy goldfish, also gives a better scale for size!

There are several species of pleco called "common pleco". Some are massive, easily 24" potential. These honestly should never be in the hobby. Most people will not have a 72" × 30" base tank to be able to allow them proper space.
This would be species such as Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus for example. Looks similar to pardalis, best told apart by belly pattern in some fish. They'll have squiggly marks on the belly instead of irregular spotting.

Then others, such as Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus, aka gold spot common pleco, stay a "smaller" 12" length.

Then there's the sailfin common pleco, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, which reach about 17-19" full size. These guys have larger sail-like dorsal fins and tend to have a more honeycomb pattern to them.

There's some in the hypostomus genus as well that get massive, also among those labeled common plecos. These guys usually tend to be a brownish grey with dark spots. But they can be hard to tell apart from one another, so that's a big gamble between a 8" fish to a 30" fish 🤣

He was about 9" I think when I got him from my coworker, but you can see his spotted belly. Had to take pics to determine what species he was initially. He was 5 years old when I got him, he was housed in a 55 gallon his whole life. He's now years old and has grown considerably since being put into a 135g

20220116_130219.jpg

Here are some Google screenshots:

P. Pardalis (what I have)
Screenshot_20240920_222124_Samsung Internet.jpg

P. Joselimaianus
Screenshot_20240920_221215_Samsung Internet.jpg

P. Disjunctivus
Screenshot_20240920_221304_Samsung Internet.jpg

And P. Gibbiceps, an adult and subadult. Juvies have bigger markings
Screenshot_20240920_221700_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240920_221751_Samsung Internet.jpg

And hypostomus
Screenshot_20240920_222537_Samsung Internet.jpg

My fave is the Albino.
Your guy is Pterygoplichthys pardalis as well, the other "common" albino is Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, but gibbiceps has a hook like spine on the back of the head, while pardalis does not and has a more sleek profile. They get so large but they're really outgoing fish. Mine eats goldfish pellets from the surface and it's amusing to watch. Toss a floating piece of Zucchini and he will swim around midwinter eating it.

Hard to say after all these years but I think ours was P. pardalis as well. We taught him to "wink for a tabimin". A cute trick until he would "wink"(rolled his eye down) several times a day. The reward only lasted for twice/day but it helped him like us & us like him too.

My friend had a "common" plec that would climb out of her tank & into a potted plant next to it. She just rescued him & put him back in his tank. It went on for years, lol. Sounds like maybe frustrated breeding behavior. They often like a muddy river edge for egg laying.

@fishorama I think they just have a lot of personality. They're really awesome fish, he's probably one of my favourites I have as well. But man they get so big. I wish they had a small version, that like stayed 6" but had the exact same behavior quirks that these guys do lol

Ugg waits for food, he knows when it's dinner time. He goes and sits on top of the anubias and stares out at you until you drop the food in. He waits there the same time every single day.

Ours might have been 7-9 inches after a while. I don't really remember well, but he was fun in a different way than our other fish.

I bet Ugg could learn the "wink" game too, lol. Stupid pet tricks, anyone recall those? I don't remember any fish, but I wasn't a regular viewer.

Ours might have been 7-9 inches after a while. I don't really remember well, but he was fun in a different way than our other fish.

I bet Ugg could learn the "wink" game too, lol. Stupid pet tricks, anyone recall those? I don't remember any fish, but I wasn't a regular viewer.
Don't think I've ever seen that lol

I probably could teach Ugg the wink cue too lol I do notice some fish have feeding cues they respond to. My sarawaks know food is coming because they hear me open the lid on their tank so they come and wait in the corner they get fed at every night and get all excited food is coming when they hear the lid. Same for my Reed tetras, they know once the lid is slid over that food is coming so they all come out of the plants and swarm the corner. And I often tap the glass to get the betta's attention at food times. That one is deliberate because some genetics cause bettas to go blind as they age (dragonscales for example) and if that ever happens, the tapping alerts them that there's food since they're used to it. My blind cherry barbs respond to the other fish getting excited over food and rush over to start pecking at the substrate where the food falls lol so they take cues from other fish.

Most reactions

Back