Loud air pump in room

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought an air pump named as silenced for my shrimp tank with my sponge filter. However it is ridiculously loud and there is o way I can slee with that much sound. Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the sound

Hi, depends on the sound. I had an ehiem pro 400 which failed and the sound was unbearable when it failed.
Does the air pump have rubber feet? Is the the pump making the noise or a vibration caused by the pump?

Hi, depends on the sound. I had an ehiem pro 400 which failed and the sound was unbearable when it failed.
Does the air pump have rubber feet? Is the the pump making the noise or a vibration caused by the pump?
It does it’s brand new bought today. I managed to put it in a large box with some towels and it has really helped with the humming. Now I need to work out how to reduce the bubbles from the air pump any help?

My air pump sits on top of an old Juwel filter sponge. The only time it makes a noise other then a quiet hum is when something gets pushed against it (quite common as the tank is on a kitchen worktop). Some pumps also have a hanging loop built in so it can be suspended from something.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Some pumps have a high and low switch to increase and decrease air production. If they don't, most pumps have a small screw on the side that is attached to the air chamber inside the pump. if you loosen the screw a little bit, you reduce the air production and noise.

Some pumps have a high and low switch to increase and decrease air production. If they don't, most pumps have a small screw on the side that is attached to the air chamber inside the pump. if you loosen the screw a little bit, you reduce the air production and noise.
Perfect will try now

I actually find the humming of a filter relaxing and I don’t mind sleeping with multiple in my room.

I actually find the humming of a filter relaxing and I don’t mind sleeping with multiple in my room.
I would wake up if there was a power failure because the pumps went off. It was so weird not having the white noise from the pumps running.

Air bubbles were another thing I listened too, but most people couldn't deal with the bubbles because they had to go tinkle after a couple of minutes in the fish room (aka bedroom).

I would wake up if there was a power failure because the pumps went off. It was so weird not having the white noise from the pumps running.

Air bubbles were another thing I listened too, but most people couldn't deal with the bubbles because they had to go tinkle after a couple of minutes in the fish room (aka bedroom).
I can’t hear myself think at the minute with these air bubbles. I physically can’t keep this in here it’s ridiculously loud ! It sounds like heavy boiling water

You will either get use to it or go insane like me :crazy:
At the minute I’ve only got 4 cherry shrimp
In the tank. At night could I turn the sponge filter off, it is way too load and is overkill even with the steps I’ve taken. I’ve got a spare hang on back which I ll replace for tonight and from tommorow I’ve got a new hang on back filter coming

Most reactions

Back