Llj's Ada Tank "refugees From Endor"

Hi LL, Finally got back from practice and came to see the pics and boy are they nice! There's no doubt about it, you are an artist - that is exactly the right touch of texture and height for that shape/size tank (of course you're probably an artist even at "quintus" :lol: .) I think if you were ever down and out you could walk into any florist shop and get a job as a top floral designer for something, lol.

I have my doubts I'll ever be able to put hardscape and plants together like that, its a lot harder than it looks. I keep getting hooked though as its so much harder than fish and changes the challanges so much.

Hey, I really want to know how small those pumps are. Can anybody give the exact dimensions of the little 200,400 ones? I was telling LL that I keep wishing for smaller pumps than the littlest Koralia Nano that I currently run. It just seems like it would be so flexible to have tiny little less powerful pumps that you could dot around in hidden places in the tank and create local water movement. Does anyone else ever think that?

Wow, your Madagascar is doing better than mine! Mine, the one that lived, was not the sterile bag one but an auction one that had a rather large bulb. The bulb still has some fungus on it so I'm still worried about it plus I'm scared to move it because I don't know if lace plants are prone to melt if they get moved. Does anybody have a guess about that?

Oh, and I forgot what you told me about your water hardness at the conference. Am I remembering that Miami has pretty hard water? A three year ongoing thing with me is this theory that super soft water like mine (KH=0, GH not much more) is a handicap and one of my next experiments (hopefully in this decade, lol) will be go get Paul (if he hasn't been flooded out down there, ugh) to help me implement Tom Barr's booster idea. Of course I know you're not a testing person so you probably don't even own a GH/KH kit that you could use to tell me what your numbers are but I'm curious.

And one final bit of trivia.. I don't think its flow so much with getting fish into those intakes. I've always just thought that the intake grids on the Aquaclears is just a tiny bit to big. I've had to put mesh over mine in the past and its a pain when you do that bacause you have to remember to "unstick" it periodically or it inhibits flow. Of course it might also be that their intake tubes are a shade narrow too, contributing to higher pull compared to eheims and other more highly engineered systems.

Anyway, lots of tidbits in there for you but the bottom line is Thanks for the entertainment of the pictures and videos and the great looking scape!

WD

Hi WD! Glad you were able to view the thread and I thank you for your compliments. I'm no artist, not like others I've seen. I just try to grow plants. I have an old gh test somewhere, but what I'll end up doing is checking the municipal water report for West Kendall. That'll give an estimation of how hard my water is. I remember over 200ppm, though of dissolved solids. I'll have to check. We need to get Paul posting here, that would be awesome. Thanks for the information on the Aquaclears. I don't love covering the intake though, as you said, you have to unstick them or flow is cut. So bigger fish ended up working quite well. Not that WCMM are especially big, but they are better for faster moving water.

The smallest of the Hydor pico evolutions was about 2" by like 1.5"? Not sure... I couldn't wait, though, so don't worry about answering my question, Ian. I'm not especially impatient, but I didn't want to pay for shipping, so I checked out a LFS that works more with SW and I found a smaller powerhead that suited me well and was about the same price as the Hydor.

c9780dc6.jpg

5b07a985.jpg

f5acd775.jpg

And a video showing the flow. The fish are really eating this up and enjoying the extra current. Flow is now easily getting to the front right of the tank. Powerhead doesn't look too bad. Hopefully C. spiralis will cover it a bit. I may keep it in photo shoots, as I like being honest with how the tank looks. I have some extra spiralis that I can plant right on that spot if I need it.

WD, I love my madagascar. That was the tissue culture one. One did die, however, I had two. Inder gave me his, or Paul, I don't remember which. The plant is right near a high flow spot, which I've read that they like. Don't know which variety it is. There are several types, but I won'd know until the plant gets bigger.

Liz

Beautiful scape and you definitively have enough flow now. It might even be hard to take sharp pictures as everything is moving.... :lol:

Thanks Biulu. I'm pleased with the powerhead. It doesn't always com eon right away when I turn on after a waterchange, so I have to figure that out.

Did a 50% waterchange, dosed 4ml. Added from Endor 2 otos and one platy.

So now have

8 otos
6 WCMM
1 platy

So I only have the R. gracilis and harlequins left to add. I may install a spare powerhead in the 36g to get them used to increased flow before I move them to the new tank.

Liz

Yesterday, did 50% waterchange, still dosing 4ml daily. Fish are well.

Will be moving harlequins to this tank on Sunday.

Old video, but uploaded in HD direct from my iPhone camera to Youtube via Ethernet, so was fast and could upload the full HD file

Best viewed at 720p

looking nice llj, the Anubias look really healthy. The WCMM also look like they're having a great time!

They are very happy it seems. Skipped my waterchange on Friday and my dosing (had a concert). No biggie, will do the waterchange when I get home today and add the harlequins from Endor.

Liz

Just skimmed through this thread as fast as a I could (read; slow - kept getting hung up on every other post and pic/vid update).

That tank is looking really great. In fact, I'm a bit envious and am inspired to start revamping my planted tanks.

Oto's have to be some of my favorite fish. Most people think they are just "functional" and boring suckers..... but put a few together and they are a blast to watch. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your progress. Great job!

Just skimmed through this thread as fast as a I could (read; slow - kept getting hung up on every other post and pic/vid update).

That tank is looking really great. In fact, I'm a bit envious and am inspired to start revamping my planted tanks.

Oto's have to be some of my favorite fish. Most people think they are just "functional" and boring suckers..... but put a few together and they are a blast to watch. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your progress. Great job!

Thank you. I have 8 otos currently in the tank, have to move my harlequin rasboras in today. Ian, the other moderator at Planted, may have an oto fry. Too cool. That makes me envious.

Liz

I didn't think iPhone Cameras were so good!! How many megapixels does it have?

By the way, AWESOME tank! :hyper:

I didn't think iPhone Cameras were so good!! How many megapixels does it have?

By the way, AWESOME tank! :hyper:

Thanks, Joshwainwright. I have to do some maitenance today. Bleh... :lol:

There are two types of photos in this journal.

iPhone 4 camera, 5 megapixel camera.

f5acd775.jpg

And a 10 megapixel Sony cybershot
764d1ee9.jpg

The videos are all shot with the iPhone 4's HD video camera, though now that I have access to high speed in my other job, I may do some video work with the Sony, as it is also has HD and the colors are truer.

Liz

Awesome, you seem to get great results from both!
The quality of your tank helps too, top notch. :good:

When I get my Roma 125 going I shall be using my HTC Wildfire camera (5MP) and my cheap digital camera (10MP)
Hopefully I will be able to get some shots of the same standard as yours. :)

I have no special skills, just an iPhone with 16G of memory and a camera with a huge memory card. Out of the gazillion pictures I take, a couple are bound to come out ok. :lol:

That is a nice betta on your sig, by the way. I just acquired two bettas after about a year without one. My last one lived 4.5 years, so I waited a while to get another. I like plakats and I'm pretty picky.

That photo was just from Google images :unsure:. I haven't actually ever owned a betta however about a year ago I planned to breed them at one point so I did LOADS of research on them. Sadly, I decided I haven't got enough room :lol:. That is my favourite photo of a betta by far though, since it is my favourite colour and is in such a good condition. If I ever see one up for sale like that, I will snap it up without breathing! :D (So sad...)

Most reactions

Back