Llj's Ada Tank "refugees From Endor"

Oh, I see. Good you did the research, though. I'd like to breed my pair, but the female is having some issues, I don't think she can hold her own with the PK I got. He's very agressive. Needs a tough lady.

Have you had them live side by side in separate tanks or in a separated tank for a while?

I quite like the look of "fugly." :lol:
It would be nice to see what the result would be of him and the white female.

I really hope you succeed in your breeding plans! :D

I quite like the look of "fugly." :lol:
It would be nice to see what the result would be of him and the white female.

I really hope you succeed in your breeding plans! :D

He is a simple fish, not overly complicated, which I like. A good wild-type line to work with. As for Pretty, right now, she seems to have a swimming issue. I'm guessing it's swim bladder, so right now, I'm fasting her for a day or two. If that don't work, a pea. If that don't work, perhaps some anti-biotics are in order. Her tank is so clean, you could drink the water, so I was probably so enamoured of her coloring that I didn't pay much attention to her swimming, mistake. I change the water every other day, 100%. She is better today and swimming more. Lowering the water level helped a lot.

Would love getting a PK male with her coloring. We'll see. If this is not a swim bladder issue but a genetic disorder (entirely possible), she's not right for breeding and I'll keep her as a pet and find another female for Fugly. I would love to breed him, though, PK are hard to find in Miami.

Back on topic... But don't worry, Josh, I don't mind the diversion. Kept fishtanks for 22+ years, and eventhough I like planted tanks, I still like talking fish. :lol:

Finally got to a waterchange, 50%. Increased dosing to 5ml of TPN+. Crypt spiralis is a lot more dense, all crypts are showing submerged leaves, and floating plants are spreading to nearly annoying levels (put Salvinia in Fugly's bowl). :lol: Moss wall is doing well, lots of moss growth. Madagascar will have to be moved soon, whether I'd like to or not, getting too big. Sags are now sending off shoots. Will do a photoshoot for 1 month anniversary of the scape. Will need to do a trim soon, but want the scape grown in a bit for photos. I like things wild.

Could not catch a single stupid rasbora from Endor. Bleh... WAY too fast and my nets are too small. Need to buy a bigger net for those fish. :crazy:

Last post was the one month marker for this scape. Today's work...

Waterchange - 50%
Fert - 4ml (cut back a bit since I fed them shrimp)
Flow - added a second Rio+ 50 powerhead. Plants are really swaying now. Added the attachment that allows for adjustable flow. When the tank has a photoshoot, will do one set with all the hardware & one minus the powerheads.

Plants - will have to move the Madagascar & trim some moss soon.

Liz

Yesterday, I took some tank photos with the good camera. I'll post them tonight after I do the waterchange. These photos will be with all the hardware.

Yayy, photo time! :hyper:

I know, I'm working on it. :lol:

Skipped the waterchange yesteday, had to be wedding slave. Mom found a crispy WCMM and didn't tell me until later. :shout: Getting tired of these things jumping! I'll have to buy a couple more this weekend.

I'll post the pictures either tonight or tomorrow. I've some video to upload as well.

llj

Time for the promised update.

After a month, you can see how things have grown. This is what happens when you stop tweaking with your tank and just leave things alone to grow. Most of you tweak too much. :lol:

DSC03907.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

DSC03930.jpg

DSC03934.jpg

DSC03937.jpg

DSC03945.jpg

DSC03954.jpg

And, of course a Youtube video...

I have to work on my camera a bit. It's underexposing, and I can't remember how to adjust that. I'm not able to access that particular menu item, so I have to go back and fix that and read the instruction manual.

I'll have to trim the moss soon. It'll become to dominant. Madagascar has to go father back as well, or it'll ruin the balance of the scape. It's strong enough now that I can move it.

There's some algae, mostly diatoms, but again not much to worry about. I may have to begin reducing waterchanges soon, before the algae that is associated with low CO2 levels begin to appear. I shouldn't get algae due to flow, definitely have flow, but with the frequent waterchanges, I definitely fluctuate my CO2 levels and I have to be aware of this. So far, all is great, but soon, I'll have to consider reducing the waterchange frequency and relying on Top-offs and cleaning the filter media. This may involved a reduction in ferts as well. For now, I'm holding at 5ml of TPN+ a day.

Let me know if my ideas are sound. I don't think I'll need CO2 in this tank, at least to inject it.

Liz

Nice growth! What about your efforts to bring the rasboras into this tank? Have you had more luck in catching the already?

No, I need a bigger net... :lol: Will get the net and try again tomorrow.

good growth llj!

tis looking very good, hows the new powerhead doing?

good growth llj!

tis looking very good, hows the new powerhead doing?

I like it, Ian. Not too much flow, especially with the adjustable attachment, which is how I have it on the bare left side. Lots of flow without the attachments, which is how I have it on the wood side. The only drawbacks are that I'm limited where I can put it in the tank. The suction cups are not moveable and only come on one side. A pain, but I didn't need it to be in that tricky a position. Also, I have to jig it about to get it to start when I plug it in after a waterchange. Not a hassle on the left of tank, but a little bit of one on the wood and spiralis side, where it's more tight. Otherwise, not too shabby, and only $13.99 and no shipping needed. To me, the powerhead looks like it was designed for small SW.

I was surprised by the amount of growth, especially since I'm not using CO2. Wish I could get the anubias to flower. That would be the feather in my cap in that scape, the Madagascar too.

The weakest plant right now is the C. parva. It is only doing so so. It lacks the vigor of the other crypts. The spiralis has taken off.

:lol: did you know that one of the tubes in Endor's fixture ran out? Tank's been running on 14W for about two weeks! :hyper: Plants are fine, I have to replant the aponogeton. Almost want to leave it running for a while longer as a test... :rolleyes:

This is great news to me!
I'm planning on starting my first planted tank soon however I won't be adding CO2, hopefully I will be able to get some plants to treat me with epic growth like they have you.

:)

Most reactions

Back