Let Me Have Your Opinions On High Nitrates

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Reaction score
right you all know i went an got a second set up - least i think i told you- anyway this tank has had me on my knees praying when i test lol - u think im jokin :shifty:

anyway when it was moved it was setup as it was sand rock u name it.

what i have done so far,- to try to get no3 to drop
get rid of the stinking sponges in the sump-replace with floss, replace the carbon and cheato and added more light to the cheato section

i have banned myself from testing for 10 days * i was at the point of tears* so in another 7 days ill test, for the previous daily tests they have all been reading over 100 using salifert and api tests, i have been doing regular -every other day- 25-50 water changes after buying my own RO unit, but to be honest i seem to be wasting my time, i did consider a huge 100% WC but was advised against it, incase of shock
tank has fish and corals, who all for the time being seem fine, but obviously this situationj isnt ideal
i also found a rusty cable clip on one of the power head magnets and was overjoyed that this may be the cause, but apprently not :S
the last resort was to leave it untouched apart from top ups and feeding small amounts
the set up
011-14.jpg
- now 2 powerheads
011-13.jpg
-now new lighting in there
010-9.jpg
- this is what i found and thought was the cause

all help and giudence would be much appreciated *RO is testing 0 for everything by the way*
note also the green algae( todays pic)
024-5.jpg

Is your Koriela the only flow you have in there I had high nitrates because there was not enough flow directed at my rocks ;)

if you mean mixed before i add it to the tank, then 0 and coral sand thats been in the tank for 18 months.. then moved by me :S

no lol its not i just nicked it to blow the rocks in my other tank, have done this to both tanks ( also have ordered 2 more twin PH)

i have exactly the same problem! tell me if u find the cure. mine was 250 + now its 40 so better but not ideal!

yes Adam, i reckon your right, its the only left that i can think of tbh.. lets hope this 10 day hols lets it all settle or ill be baldy with stress :lol:

so bollands how did u get urs down??

id probably swap the sand, also use less if your using a coral sand, IME a deep coral sand bed is no good.

Also there is vodka dosing. Whcih is adding a substance that sint natural to the reef andyou have to keep dosing to keep it down. But maybe worth thinking about as a last resort

id probably swap the sand, also use less if your using a coral sand, IME a deep coral sand bed is no good.

isnt a deep bed of sand good? i thought there were bacteria in there or something that processed the nitrate?

I dont think it works with coral sand. PLain aragonite yes. Usually if a DSB gets disturbed they release nitrates. Also a DSB becomes ineffective after a length of time. This is why some people run them remotely. Old tank beds is linked to old tank syndrome, where the water quality deteriorates for seemingly no reason

isnt a deep bed of sand good? i thought there were bacteria in there or something that processed the nitrate?

I dont think it works with coral sand. PLain aragonite yes. Usually if a DSB gets disturbed they release nitrates. Also a DSB becomes ineffective after a length of time. This is why some people run them remotely. Old tank beds is linked to old tank syndrome, where the water quality deteriorates for seemingly no reason

just thought i'd ask thats all, as i am setting up my fw-brackish-marine tank soon, sorry to intrude shelagh :)

Have you a "second oppinion" from an LFS on the test results?

shelah

how big is that tank as it looks pretty small to have that tang in there and he might also be the problem for the nitrate and how much are you feeding

regrads cott

softies can tolerate tons of nitrates :) Fish can to.

I'd also bet it's your old sand. I'd tear down your tank put your rock, water, fish in large rubber maid containers and get that old sand out of there. Put new sand in :good:

ps what tang is that?

No I'm not going to get after you for it :)
Just curious.

Most reactions

Back