Killifish

I'm glad someone else has my interest and love of these fish. I have five golden panchax that i adore. They have the most lovely nature. As soon as i came in to contact with my killis i loved them! I recently had a baby panchax who is growing every day. He's/She's adorable. The only one that appeared and i'm guessing there must have been more eggs. I was overjoyed when i discovered him/her. I havent seen any other sorts around apart from these golden ones but even these ones i think are really lovely.The pictures i have seen of others are amazing! I would really love to get in to these fish more in the future. x

I have been fish keeping for two years and in that time have visitied many shops (i make my boyfriend drive me on what i like to call store tours!) well today was the first time i have even seen Killifish in a shop! (Seapets in Colchester) I would probably have bought some when i had my community tank but now i'm into cichlids they don't interest me! My boyfriend seems to think that the eggs can be dried out and come alive again? Something to do with a rainy season?!

I see Killifish on ebay all the time, both batches of 30 eggs from Germany and all over, or live fish from Thailand. They are cheap but to me (sorry you'll slate me) they are just too gimmicky and look like a mad professor's bow tie.

I much prefer the more basic fish, not all pretty and lovely, but more character based. I think if the fish are all pretty and multicolouured with pink polka dots etc. you take your eye off the real attractions.

It would take me away from watching how my Betta moves and shows off (Plain Coloured Red Betta)
How my mollies play with each other (Plain Black)
How the Zebra & Leopard Danios zip about together
How the glolight tetras stand around watching whats going on
And how the plecs say get out my way coming through then stick on the glass.

I have looked at a lot of Killifish on ebay thinking they're pretty but I have read a lot on the internet about them not being good community fish and as a newly introduced Dalmation Molly (Rehomed for Meekon) found out yesterday when she nipped the Betta and then the Boss Female Balloon Molly, nippers don't survive in my tank. All my old fish rounded on her and this morning she was floating.

I have a very peaceful community tank and it's like a community pub. Strangers are welcome but if someone causes trouble the regulars look after each other.

they are beautiful coourful fish and full of personality i had a pair a few years back, would love to get some again but don't yet have the space and the lfs usually gets some in, orange males, yellow females do'nt know there type/name

This whole topic has definately sparked my interest towards them. I have thought about keeping some of them in the past, but have never had a tank or time to do it. I do however have room for a 10G. Anyone have any favorites or good starters that they can think/know of? I have been reading a little about them and I am pretty interested in them. I have always wanted to do a species tank. Maybe this could be my calling :lol: .

Hello BigC! Been a long time since I have been here, and when I return, what do I find but a 6 month old thread that you have started on killies still at the top of the heap! Good job, man! :good:

In response to your original question, as you know I do keep a few killies. I am very fortunate to have a breeder who supplies my LFS with a fairly decent variety of some really pretty killies. I have kept some Aphyosemion australe "orange", Fundulopanchax gardneri albino, Nothobranchius rachovii, Fundulopanchax sjostedti, and Epiplatys sexfasciatus. All supplied to my LFS through one breeder. An 80 some year old man, who used to be very active locally back in the day when there was an aquarium society functioning in the city....it will be a sad day when he is no longer around or able to supply us. I have tried, unsuccessfully for the most part, to breed these same fish. My few successes have come from the australes and gardneris. Our water here is just too hard for breeding. Recently I discussed this with the guys at the LFS....one of them had been to this guys house, and described the set up that he was running. Has some sort of collection system for rainwater and uses that for his killies and does excellent with them. Still haven't got all the plans set up yet, but this is what I am hoping to try myself. I know it can be done!

I've been in this hobby for more than 40 of my 47 years now. As a kid, I would buy any aquarium magazine or book that I could get my hands on. Guppies and bettas were my big thing back then, but I would see these pictures of various species of killies and go "oooh" and "aaahh", but they were never available in my local shops. When I finally was able to find some a few years ago, I literally stood guard at the tank that I found them in and waited for an employee to come by to net my fish out. There was "no way" that I was going to let these fish be snatched up by someone else.....they were the absolute prettiest fish I had ever seen (australes), and I had to have them. Anyone who hasn't kept them....pictures do not do these fish justice.

Well, I could ramble on here forever about these fish, but I won't. Good to see that you are still around, BigC...keep up the good work!

Best fishes,
Gary

www.aka.org indicated that there are some types of killies that may do well in hard, alki waters, but i couldnt locate any species. Does any one here know of any types that will do ok in those waters?

I think that although some species may be "tougher" than others, just about any of your more common killies are going to do OK in hard water. "Keeping" them isn't difficult. The problem arises when they are spawning, most species the eggs will only hatch out in softer, more acidic water.

yeah we see them around here every so often, they're quite cute, they're on my list of 'one day's' we're downsizing tanks as it is trying not to get any more.

but i've a list as long as my arm of fish i'd like to keep one day when we've got a spare tank or room/time/money for another and killies are definately on there.

:)

my LFS has just had a delivery of Killi's and there very beautiful yellow/orange! can i get some? i have cichlids which are all peaceful cichlids Discus, Angels and Keyholes?

The British Killifish Association (BKA) would open a lot of doors for a lot of wannabe enthusiasts who would like to get into this niche side of the hobby. You will see an arrayof Killifish species that only existed on the glossy pages of books and magazines. Not to mention the knowledge base.
Regards
BigC

I am interested in them and went to that site but didn't find much interesting. Most of the stuff I wanted to read about was in the members only areas and I didn't want to join the club just to learn about the species.
What I did learn elsewhere though is that I wouldn't be able to keep them as I live in a hard water area. Shame.

I just found My dream Killie today and bought a small group of them - Clown Killies. They are very young and still under an inch.
The LFS were wary about them being on sale but after a month in quarantine they have been put on sale today.

I spoke to the Manager who remembered me saying about these Last year and got some once they were on his suppliers List.

The colors are amazing for such a tiny fish - I got 1 male to 4 females and so fat they are doing great and no problems thru acclimation either. They are happily swimming at the surface with the Hockeystick Pencil fish. same kinda colors.

I ve always Liked Killies since seeing them in an out of town LFS when i was little, but this year is the 1st year i've seen them on sale for a long time,.

In the wild...yes. They are known as "annual" fish. Every year, there is a dry season. That is why their reproductive cycle is the way that it is. The streams and ponds that they live in dry out. The killies lay their eggs in the substrate. Eggs go through a so-called drying out period (they need to be kept somewhat damp, that's why the eggs are stored/shipped in peat)....when the rains come again, the eggs hatch.

In the aquarium, though, it is not so bad for the adults. There is no "dry season". Lifespans vary depending on the species...2, sometimes 3 years...seems like I may have heard of 4 years, but that might be pushing it.

Most reactions

Back