Killifish

1. Does the name Killi put you off. ( It's dutch for small ditch or stream)
Nope. I think it's kinda cute.

2. Are they unavailable in your area.
There are some species available. Maybe...6-7? However, in the next state, there a store with a whole Killi aisle.

3. Are you totally ignorant, and did not know they existed.
Well, I definitely know they exist, so I'd like to think I'm not ignorant. Feel free to tell me otherwise.

4. Are you put off by their requirements. (Some will live quite happily in community aquaria)
I'm put off of some species by that, but not by most.

Then again, I do own some Killis, so, maybe my answers are useless. But they are great fish, that I really enjoy and I'd recommend them to someone, definitely.

In the wild...yes. They are known as "annual" fish. Every year, there is a dry season. That is why their reproductive cycle is the way that it is. The streams and ponds that they live in dry out. The killies lay their eggs in the substrate. Eggs go through a so-called drying out period (they need to be kept somewhat damp, that's why the eggs are stored/shipped in peat)....when the rains come again, the eggs hatch.

In the aquarium, though, it is not so bad for the adults. There is no "dry season". Lifespans vary depending on the species...2, sometimes 3 years...seems like I may have heard of 4 years, but that might be pushing it.

There are a variety of killi's and the "annual" or 1 year killi's are the African ones, but you can get killi's from other countries and they are not annuals.

The Gardneri are annuals for example, but in the home aquarium they can last up to 1.5 to 2 years because there is no "dry season" however the Rivulus species can live up to 3 years.

Admittedly the annual killis are ususally the ones you see in the shops but that is only because they are the most colourful, but the "brown" non annuals have their own particular charms and beautiful colouring if you don't want overly bright markins and I also find them less shy than their colourful relatives and these are great community fish.

I keep both annuals and non annuals and love them, but I also keep and breed other fish.

Anyone wanting to keep killi's should really join the BKA or AKA to get more info, it doesn't cost much and there are a wealth of fish and eggs for you to try your hand with, also don't forget the local and group auctions where you can get to see and eventually buy some of these lovely fish. :good:

I have 5 Golden Wonder Panchax and they have really made a difference to my tank. Becuase they are always at the top, they have made all the fish that stayed near the bottom swim further up so now all the tank is used to swim arounf in. They also seem to group up with my parkinsons rainbow fish as if they were killis or the rainbows think they are panchax.

Hi Colin,

It is a little odd that they're not so popular. I think it's mainly down to availibility in shops, in my experience only a few sell them. Perhaps their longetivity is an issue for some too, even though they're not all annuals.

I've yet to keep any killis but do intend to at some point. Any recommendations for a planted 10 litre? I'm about to start a new layout, lower tech (open top though so clowns are off the list).

Make sure to keep your tank covered, Gill. They are notorious jumpers, esp. the topswimmers like what you are describing.

Yeap, the Tank Is Covered and There are lots of surface plants and I have Trained the Amazon Swords to grow to the surface and create big umbrellas of cover.

Most reactions

Back