keeping carnival goldfish (or any fish) alive

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
we all know those little feeder goldfish we win at the carnival, right?

i don't have one right now, but my family goes to the fair every year (esept mabye this year and last year of coures) i was wondering if you could keep those little guys alive for more than a week. "more", like, mabye a year or two? even a couple months. i feel happy when there is a niglected animal that goes for very very very sad to very very very happy. i feel like we could save them. you should win at leats two right? and make the fish game your last so you get home sooner and they don't over heat possible and die?

i would really feel good if i could save some.

thanks,
unicornblast5000

(did i put this in the wrong catigory, i fell like i did.... yep deffinetly did.)

we all know those little feeder goldfish we win at the carnival, right?

i don't have one right now, but my family goes to the fair every year (esept mabye this year and last year of coures) i was wondering if you could keep those little guys alive for more than a week. "more", like, mabye a year or two? even a couple months. i feel happy when there is a niglected animal that goes for very very very sad to very very very happy. i feel like we could save them. you should win at leats two right? and make the fish game your last so you get home sooner and they don't over heat possible and die?

i would really feel good if i could save some.

thanks,
unicornblast5000

(did i put this in the wrong catigory, i fell like i did.... yep deffinetly did.)
This would go in tropical discussions, for future reference.

Carnival goldfish in general are outdated and just seem inhumane to me. I wouldn't get any if you can help it. If you've got no other choice (somehow) then do your research. Thoroughly. Fish aren't just like a one-time deal like getting a shiny new toy, they're real living animals and need to be treated and maintained properly.

I don't keep goldfish (or any coldwater fish for that matter) but I would definitely advise against getting a carnival fish.

I wouldn't recommend it, as sweet as your intent it.

1. By playing, it's only keeping those games profitable. If no one played when the prize is a living creature, those carnival games would cease trading in them.

2. They buy those fish as 'feeder fish'. Meaning they've been poorly bred in huge numbers and housed in terrible conditions, rife with disease and potential health issues.

3. Being feeder fish, they're a comet-type goldfish, needing even larger tanks than fancy goldfish do, or an outdoor pond ideally. You'd be looking at a tank at minimum of 50-75 gallons. For ONE of them. Add at least another ten gallons to that for each additional fish you 'rescue'. They grow big, they grow fast, they're strong swimmers. They need heavy filtration too, so tot up the cost of one of those tanks and a decently sized canister filter, and see how much this carnival fish would cost you to house properly.

4. Also please don't think that you save all of that and just try to keep them in a bowl or a tiny tank, thinking it's better than nothing, right? Not really, it would only draw out what they're going through. Those fish die sooner or later from ammonia poisoning. It would mean they endure for longer perhaps, but not in better conditions.

In short, it's really not a rescue at all, it's just supporting people who treat fish like objects to be discarded by rewarding them financially.

There are ways you can have some fish, and save fish through! Get a nice little five or ten gallon aquarium, some live aquarium plants, and look for say, betta fish that need rehoming on craigslist and the like. There are so many that need rescuing that way, are easy to house and care for, and mean you won't be supporting the Petsmarts and the like that keep them in tiny cups, or the people that give away fish as carnival prizes. :)

You could try, but they are usually riddled with diseases. Do you have a tank?

Everyone beats me to the posts I actually have a good answer to:grr::rofl:

I agree with what everyone has said so far, I just wanted to add that I believe what they give out as prizes is comet goldfish, which can get very large!

I wouldn't recommend it, as sweet as your intent it.

1. By playing, it's only keeping those games profitable. If no one played when the prize is a living creature, those carnival games would cease trading in them.

2. They buy those fish as 'feeder fish'. Meaning they've been poorly bred in huge numbers and housed in terrible conditions, rife with disease and potential health issues.

3. Being feeder fish, they're a comet-type goldfish, needing even larger tanks than fancy goldfish do, or an outdoor pond ideally. You'd be looking at a tank at minimum of 50-75 gallons. For ONE of them. Add at least another ten gallons to that for each additional fish you 'rescue'. They grow big, they grow fast, they're strong swimmers. They need heavy filtration too, so tot up the cost of one of those tanks and a decently sized canister filter, and see how much this carnival fish would cost you to house properly.

4. Also please don't think that you save all of that and just try to keep them in a bowl or a tiny tank, thinking it's better than nothing, right? Not really, it would only draw out what they're going through. Those fish die sooner or later from ammonia poisoning. It would mean they endure for longer perhaps, but not in better conditions.

In short, it's really not a rescue at all, it's just supporting people who treat fish like objects to be discarded by rewarding them financially.

There are ways you can have some fish, and save fish through! Get a nice little five or ten gallon aquarium, some live aquarium plants, and look for say, betta fish that need rehoming on craigslist and the like. There are so many that need rescuing that way, are easy to house and care for, and mean you won't be supporting the Petsmarts and the like that keep them in tiny cups, or the people that give away fish as carnival prizes. :)
Carnival goldfish have sad lives. First, one comet needs 100 gallons and each additional one needs the same. If you are willing to dig a pond for it then I say go for it. That, or a 200 gallon tank because they are social fish and need a companion. I have a feeder goldfish, paid 35 cents for it. He lives in my pond and is now 4 years old. He is stunning at almost a foot long,

One goldfish in 100 gallons is just silly. Really nobody thinks that is right do they. I don't support carnival fish but look at the fish markets that run all over the world they are no different. If you won't to save a few fish go for it. The few you save won't make a difference to the whole picture but will make a difference to the fish you save. Good on you.

Most reactions

Back