Just Thought Id Let You Know What I Have Been Up2.

rictheredneck

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
just started my first tank after i fell in love with girlfriends rio 240.

i got tank (36x24x18, 10mm glass, i work it out to be 266 l, but i cant be trusted with maths), cabinet and 27 kgs of LR for £165 i don't think rock was well kept before i received it, in a bin with saltwater and an airline, hopefully some stuff is still alive on it not seen anything yet :angry: it also came with an Arcadia 4 tube T5 luminaire which is surplus to requirements because i bought a low bay halide light at 400w with a 20k lamp which is a month old, for £30(I'm after keeping clams.) the boss bought me a v2 600 skimmer yesterday which I'm still having a few teething problems with (getting the right amount of waste, its producing tons of clear and the micro bubbles escaping into the tank.)

so far the things i need to add are-

power heads
more LR
maybe UV sterilizer
maybe some rowaphos never used it so I'm gonna have to look into that
and tons of lovely corals and inverts :nod:

let me know what you guys think and advise me on where im goin wrong.

Looking really nice! I'd definitly say yes with the Rowaphos.Stuff works! best of luck!

Nice tank, and bigtime light. Go ahead and run the light on a short cycle to start (6hrs) just to sort out if you have too much heat and to save on electricity. Just LR in there, so short cycles are fine :). Gradually creep it up and monitor your temps. And be careful with new additions to the tank. Newer corals should be slowly moved towards the center and top of the tank. Gotta be careful and not burn them :)

Nice tank, and bigtime light. Go ahead and run the light on a short cycle to start (6hrs) just to sort out if you have too much heat and to save on electricity. Just LR in there, so short cycles are fine :). Gradually creep it up and monitor your temps. And be careful with new additions to the tank. Newer corals should be slowly moved towards the center and top of the tank. Gotta be careful and not burn them :)

i had my light on for 14 hours the other day just resting on the internal framework of the tank and the temp crept up to 28 degrees, (not ideal but not the end of the world) i was thinking like you lets do a couple of test runs before anything dies. I'll let you know how i get on now its raised 11" above the tank. still gonna get some fans, seen some on ebay, 6 fans that attach onto the tank. last night was the 2nd night of my skimmer i woke up at 3.30am and thought id just check on it and panic started to set in when i opened the living room door and i was getting wet feet stumbling around half asleep trying to find the plug to stop it :no: standing on an upturned plug is the worst pain in the world. gonna have to wait till weekend to get it running again cant risk having another flood.

Sometimes its best to run those skimmers wide-open with no restrictions on the outflow for a while just to break them in.

Sometimes its best to run those skimmers wide-open with no restrictions on the outflow for a while just to break them in.

what you mean sack the bubble stopper for the time being?
just come back from work the light has been on 8 hours in its new raised position and th temp is 78 so with a bit of luck i should be fine without the fans till summer kicks in, i think the summer is on a Saturday in the UK this year :fun:

Yeah, no restrictions of any kind. The skimmer has an outlet valve on it I'm sure. Keep that wide open, remove bubble traps, and just let it spit bubbles back into the tank for a few days. You dont have livestock in there if memory serves... You're basically getting the internals of the skimmer uniformly dirty so that it runs evenly and doesnt have wild swings of effectiveness.

Most reactions

Back