Journal

Thats a great looking aquascape you've got in the making. Just another bit of helpful advice is to replant your hair grass in smaller bunches ie with a base the width of 1cm or there abouts.

Hair grass planted the way you have done it will not grow very fast, and most probably will become infested with detrius and algae.

Congrats, your tank looks pretty dam good. :good:

Paul

.......adding bi carb would effect the accuracy of the chart you directed me to. If not would simply setting my ph controller to 6.4 bring my co2 up to 26.5?
pH and KH are intrinsically linked. Bi-carb boosts pH and KH and so this is accounted for in the table. The table is not rigidly accurate as it doesn't take into account other influencing factors but as a guide it is very helpful.

To answer your question then reducing your pH to 6.4 is a good idea and you will get better growth, less algae. As you mention pH swing won't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply!

Ive adjusted ph to 6.4 and suddenly my plants are fizzing!!! :D guess they are enjoying the increased Co2 level. Thanks again for your help

Planter

Thats a great looking aquascape you've got in the making. Just another bit of helpful advice is to replant your hair grass in smaller bunches ie with a base the width of 1cm or there abouts.

Hair grass planted the way you have done it will not grow very fast, and most probably will become infested with detrius and algae.

Congrats, your tank looks pretty dam good. :good:

Paul

Thanks Paul

I have actually removed the Hair grass now as I intend to plant some crypts in front of the bogwood but its a great tip which i'll remeber for future reference!

Planter

Is that glosso in the foreground? You need to cut the runners into individual plantlets and plant these with tweezers

HEHE...thats the EXACT same mistake i did when i first started planting glosso in my old aquascape.

If you plow through the pages of my old journal (link in signature) then u will see good advice with pictures of planting glosso correctly. Its pretty obvious once you realise, but its worth taking a look.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

I found your journal and the tips about planting Glosso (getting down with the lingo) were fantastic!!! So informative you just dont get this kinda advice in books I been reading!! soon as i get the time ill be having a crack at it!

Keep watching as im gonna post a new pic shortly with a few changes! EG. I MOVED THE JAVA FERN!!! lol

Regards

Planter

Hey wow, that looks really good! Can I just ask, what substrate are you using? It looks like the stuff I just bought. Just curious. But great job! It looks wonderful!

Thanks for the comment !

The substrate im using is Red Sea Flora Base.

Regards

Planter

Hi all

A big thankyou for posting your comments and advice!
Ive added some dwarf sagittaria as well as a tiger lotus lilly that i simply couldnt resist.
The hair grass in front of the bogwood has gone I will shortly be planting something in the gap to hide the wood a little ( maybe some crypts as suggested). Need to get me some tweezers so I can address the Glosso problem. And due to popular demand I MOVED THE JAVA FERN!!! (its off centre now but maybe still a little too high?) Heres a more recent pic -- enjoy

Regards
Planter

new.jpg

Looks really great. Love the wood and the placing of the stones. I think you are right the java fern is still too loud. Maybe a smaller plant an anubia b or a small bunch of moss sitting between the lowest vertical branch and the trunk would work. Its great though, really a gem. Hope to see more pics as it grows out

Latest pic !

Been making a few adjustments based on advice comments from you guys just thought id keep you posted!
Besides i thought this was a nice shot! :D

d003.jpg

Your tank looks beautful, really like the bushyness [if that's a word].

Nicely done!

That java fern should bush out a whole lot more, and your lily looks stunning too!

Paul.

Hehehe, looks great!!

I do like that last pic :) It's nice to see the Java Fern has moved. Are you still planning on no fish? :(

Hi GNAT good to hear from ya!

I will stock fish eventualy dont know which ones yet (spoilt for choice :hey: ) glad you like the pic. the tank is really starting to come on now just gotta get my Glosso going! Do you like my Nature aquarium stylee rocks? lol

Planter

(spoilt for choice :hey: )

Wahaha, oh yeah!! I think you should be boring and have a shoal of cardinals and some ottos. Cardinals nearly always look good in Nature Aquariums.

Do you like my Nature aquarium stylee rocks?

Very nice! Amano would be proud :p

Personally I think the composition would look better balanced without the rocks. If you like the tension though then they are ideal. Just my opinion.

Wonderful growth and health. Well done.

Hey wow, that looks really good! Can I just ask, what substrate are you using? It looks like the stuff I just bought. Just curious. But great job! It looks wonderful!

Thanks for the comment !

The substrate im using is Red Sea Flora Base.

Regards

Planter
[/quote]

Oooh, heaps good! That's the stuff I'm using! Well, I hope my tank ends up looking as good as your's! :good:

Good luck Alexis let us know how you get on with your new aquarium. Not many people using the Flora base in these Forums be interested to know how it goes! Maybe weve stumbled across something a little special. Not sure if everyone out there realises That RED SEA bought out DUPLA so there certainly some know how there! Thaks for the comment!

Personally I think the composition would look better balanced without the rocks. If you like the tension though then they are ideal. Just my opinion.

Wonderful growth and health. Well done.

Thanks George
Im learning to value your opinion. Gained lots of Know how (still lots to learn) from your pinned articles. However I kinda like the rocks (I who knows Nothing). Think ill leave them in place for now as im hoping to get a carpet of Glosso going round and in between them! only time will tell. Thanks again for all the help and the constructive comments.

George I was wondering when I should be thinking about adding liquid ferts. Im just over 2 weeks running and am just starting to see a little algae growth (not of great concern). I havent tested for Nitrate or Phosphate. Do you think The algae is a result of too little or too much Nitrate/Phosphate at this stage? I plan on using Tropica plant nutrition + (TMG) as im kinda new to this i thought it would be simpler than doing the EI method. What do you think? Feel free to comment anyone!

Much appreciated

Planter

George I was wondering when I should be thinking about adding liquid ferts. Im just over 2 weeks running and am just starting to see a little algae growth (not of great concern). I havent tested for Nitrate or Phosphate. Do you think The algae is a result of too little or too much Nitrate/Phosphate at this stage? I plan on using Tropica plant nutrition + (TMG) as im kinda new to this i thought it would be simpler than doing the EI method. What do you think? Feel free to comment anyone!
Hi planter

It would be a good idea to test for NO3 and PO4. Accuracy isn't as important as many may have you believe. This is a good things as most kits, especially NO3 are inaccurate. Testing IMO is better as a guide to see if things are going the right/wrong way and to spot any potential problem trends. I digress.

If you have a low bio-load (fish) then I would guess that you will have low NO3 and PO4 unless your tap water is loaded. Another good thing to test.

The Tropica product is excellent and is what I intend to use in the future, although I will use the non-NP type and dose EI. For convenience the "Plus" version sounds great and I would certainly consider using it if you have low NO3 and PO4. You'll probably need to dose more frequently than recommended with a high-growth set-up like yours - most enthusiasts dose daily. It is better to dose little and often as this keep a nice stable environment - better plant growth = less algae.

Keep it up.

Most reactions

Back