Join The Oscar Club, Its Just For Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me started on this issue, i have said my peice and if the person doe's not wan't to listen 100 time's, i will give up, as much as it annoy's me there's nothing that we can do excpet advise, lord know's weve done this

agree totally nelly, i just get really rattled over the whole thing, look at Bo wat a mess hes in,his HTH has almost gone now, but his fins are stumpy ( from constantly being pulled up to get over other fish) hes a lucky one , hes treated like a king now, but when i think of all those that wont even see it past there 1st year :-( .

ah well, i wont stop advising people on correct care, but like you say , we can only advise if they dont take it on board..well :(

yep, i mean who am i to preach, i have a fair few fish, but with space in the tank and good fliteration and care all water's perfect and fish perfect....so i can't say about over crowding but can say when it's wrong stocking etc etc

Hiya everyone i have spoken to people before about their oscars but now im really wanting to keep one i have a fluval 216l tank that is now empty and running my new fluval 305 filter it has been going for around 2 weeks now and just wondered if i could put an oscar in soon the tank has been set up well over a year but i have just put in the new filter 2 weeks ago will i only be able to keep one oscar and would you say my tank is big enough for one thanks a lot guys.

in honesty id say that tank is a little too small for one oscar, bare minimum needed is 55 gallons, yours just reaches 47. ideally for one oscar a 75 gallon tank is best :)

in honesty id say that tank is a little too small for one oscar, bare minimum needed is 55 gallons, yours just reaches 47. ideally for one oscar a 75 gallon tank is best :)

I have a big filter though and i can do very frequent water changes is ther anyway i can keep just the one for a while how long will it take before it outgrows my tank?

It will outgrow the tank quickly and if it isnt re-housed quick enough you will stunt it, so its really best for the fish that you dont get it until you have adequate housing for it.

It will outgrow the tank quickly and if it isnt re-housed quick enough you will stunt it, so its really best for the fish that you dont get it until you have adequate housing for it.

damn it but mum and dad will never let me get a bigger one i will have to move out lol. what would you recommend instead i want something big but obv not too big that i can't keep it. thanks

thing is a lot of people say 'oh i will be getting a tank in the summer/in the autumn, in xxxx weeks' but they never do, or something comes up so they can no longer afford the larger tank and are then stuck with a fish who is destined to live in inadequate housing.

it is always better to get the right size tank FIRST (for the adult size that the fish grows to) rather than promising to upgrade as they grow. trust me something always gets in the way!

its not just filter size that is taken into account, but oscar need room to move too! its no good having a tank they can hardly turn around in :) what are the dimensions of your tank if its wide enough i suppose you could get away with one in there short term (and i emphasise SHORT TERM!) (it is just 55 US gallons but i tend to go by the uk gallon conversion if its the bog standard 13x48 that seems common, then thats to narrow im afraid)
have no idea what the lph of your filter is, am not familiar with fluvals so would need a peek online to look
you couldnt put ANYTHING else in their though until the oscar was in a larger tank which it would need within a couple of months

75 gallons is always better for a single oscar (roughly 300L minimum is needed in my opinion for long term housing)

thing is a lot of people say 'oh i will be getting a tank in the summer/in the autumn, in xxxx weeks' but they never do, or something comes up so they can no longer afford the larger tank and are then stuck with a fish who is destined to live in inadequate housing.

it is always better to get the right size tank FIRST (for the adult size that the fish grows to) rather than promising to upgrade as they grow. trust me something always gets in the way!

its not just filter size that is taken into account, but oscar need room to move too! its no good having a tank they can hardly turn around in :) what are the dimensions of your tank if its wide enough i suppose you could get away with one in there short term (and i emphasise SHORT TERM!) (it is just 55 US gallons but i tend to go by the uk gallon conversion if its the bog standard 13x48 that seems common, then thats to narrow im afraid)
have no idea what the lph of your filter is, am not familiar with fluvals so would need a peek online to look
you couldnt put ANYTHING else in their though until the oscar was in a larger tank which it would need within a couple of months

75 gallons is always better for a single oscar (roughly 300L minimum is needed in my opinion for long term housing)

my tank is 15 x 48 is that big enough? my filter pumps 1000lph would that be ok im really desperate to keep one but if it would be cruel then its not worth it.

As said it is too small for an Oscar tbh,
You would be much better off going for a slightly smaller cichlid, such as a Green Terror or a Electric Blue JD

As said it is too small for an Oscar tbh,
You would be much better off going for a slightly smaller cichlid, such as a Green Terror or a Electric Blue JD
ok how much do each of them cost and how many would i be able to keep of each in that tank and what do they look like i know jack dempseys look nice.but whats green terror

smaller one at bottom is a green terror, don't even think about the umbee they get to around 18+inche's

shadowandrex10_07a.jpg

It is with great sadness i post this tonight

Some people may be aware that my Lutino oscar nero was having scares during the night/day from my plec. The plec was rehomed but unfortunately the damage was already done to nero.

The physical wounds have healed however there still remains mental issues with what can only be described as "episodes" he's gone 6weeks without feeding on anything other than a cat fish pellet if it flls into his mouth. He cannot swim normally and shows no signs of getting any better thn he has already reached.

Tomorrow i will be euthanising nero to end the suffering. even my wife agrees he is now suffering so its the best thing to do.

Sad news, poor guy, but if his quality of life is that bad, then its for the best.

It is with great sadness i post this tonight

Some people may be aware that my Lutino oscar nero was having scares during the night/day from my plec. The plec was rehomed but unfortunately the damage was already done to nero.

The physical wounds have healed however there still remains mental issues with what can only be described as "episodes" he's gone 6weeks without feeding on anything other than a cat fish pellet if it flls into his mouth. He cannot swim normally and shows no signs of getting any better thn he has already reached.

Tomorrow i will be euthanising nero to end the suffering. even my wife agrees he is now suffering so its the best thing to do.

so sorry to hear that mate, i know you've been trying your best with him but all round if his mental state is no good, then its probably for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back