Jimbooo's Jungle Journal (rekord 60 - 12g)

thanks mate, the glosso's so invasive i cant believe it. i have a glosso carpet INSIDE my cave.

it's in total darkness??? i guess the plants in the cave are getting their energy through the runners from the plants outside it.

this stuff is amazing.

the botia's are cute aren't they, i'm so glad they had them in stock. i was actually after more albino BN's but was pleased with my find.

You really have to replant the glosso and start over again, when it runs out of space to grow it will then start to grow over itself and the stuff underneath starts to rot and pollutes the tank, if you have a lot of it that can be a problem, also if you have other low carpeting plants like Hemianthus callithoides (HC) the glosso will just grow over it and kill the other plant, its a bit of a weed really in that respect its quite invasive, but replanting it every 2 months or so shouldnt be a problem unless you have acres of it.

thanks guys

Zig: i was hoping you weren't going to say that but it does make sence. i guess i'll replant it in a few weeks it's not too bad yet.

Its looking fantastic Jimbooo. Great pics as well !!! Another Amano in the making, for this forum, I believe ;)

thanks dubby but i will admit i am still fighting that damn cobweb type algae. it gets all tangeled in the riccia and i cant shift it.

still playing around with ideas though. thanks for the comments

thanks dubby but i will admit i am still fighting that damn cobweb type algae. it gets all tangeled in the riccia and i cant shift it.

still playing around with ideas though. thanks for the comments
Thats a pity. What are your nitrate readings at the moment? My cobweb algae reduced when I increased the nitrates and added more iron. I'm sure you've tried this before !!!

thanks for the reply mate. all 3 tanks have been the same for 2 months

Nitrate: 10/15
phosphate 1
iron 1-3 ish

to be honest i've now stripped the rekord 60 and rebuilt the aquascape. i got fed up with the algae and dont have the patience to gradually sort it through ferts. i just ripped it to shreds and started again.

i'm rather excited (sad i know) about the new look i think it's 10x better and has loads more space for the fish.

as usual my inspiration came from gf225's current setup. pics will be up soon.

Looking forward to seeing the new layout, Jim..... I've got that cobwebby stuff as well....it's a right pain in the $%^£. ! I'm hoping that when i add more lights the extra plant growth will deal with it, but it sounds like i could be wrong about that!

it's definatly not light related (in my case anyway). more light = more cobwebs.

it's either lack of co2 (most likley i think) or nitrate/phosphate related. as i haven't sorted it i cant really help more then that my friend.

lovely stuff isn't it!! LOL

okay i've managed to upload pics to photobucket now so here goes the "New Look"

total rip off of gf225's idea - sorry mate but you know how it is... :*)

may i point out (because no one at my house gives a damn) that each gloss plantlet was planted individually. it took hours and hours but i think it'll be worth it in the end.

edit: damn it i should have pulled the thermometer and co2 test out before taking the pic. put your finger over that bit, it kinda spoils the look.

60up1.jpg

60up2.jpg

60up3.jpg

60up4.jpg

60up5.jpg

60up6.jpg

and a few random's

Trumpet Snail (MTS)
60up7.jpg

Yo-Yo's
60up11.jpg

60up10.jpg

60up9.jpg

60up8.jpg

i've been looking out for odd behaviour from the loaches, so far they've dug up 5 /6 glosso plantlets each night, rather annoying but :wub: bless em.. and they seem to enjoy jumping into the filter flow. they come right out of the water and come down with a big splash. it normally happens after lights out between 1 and 3am (playstation time basically), i jumped out of my skin last night i thought one of the tubes had fallen into the tank. didn't work out what was going on until 4 or 5 splashes later. so funny..

Hey bud tank looks brill, be stunning when it grows out.
Yoyo's are great fish ain't they, mine waits to be fed every morning, its like a little dog begging.
Great photos too m8, my camera sucks in low light.

Most reactions

Back