Importing Fish

hyak2

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering on the rules of this.... I know people often bring their own fish to the UK from other countries though personal collecting trips etc and wonder how easy / possible is it to bring in fish from another overseas- does anyone have any personal experience of this? I am currently living in Turkey and running a small general community tank (guppies, corydoras, swordtails, neon etc etc) while I am away. If I return to the UK how does one go about bringing the fish with them (if indeed it can be done)? any suggestions or ideas would be great!

Hi, I was wondering on the rules of this.... I know people often bring their own fish to the UK from other countries though personal collecting trips etc and wonder how easy / possible is it to bring in fish from another overseas- does anyone have any personal experience of this? I am currently living in Turkey and running a small general community tank (guppies, corydoras, swordtails, neon etc etc) while I am away. If I return to the UK how does one go about bringing the fish with them (if indeed it can be done)? any suggestions or ideas would be great!

You could ask your LFS manager for any advise maybe?

Also Marmaris LOL!, everyone seems to have gone there

It depends a lot on the quarantine restrictions in your own country (Turkey). A lot of countries in tropical regions have very strict quarantine measures and won't allow tropical fishes to be imported in case they are released into the wild. Other countries have virtually no quarantine restrictions on aquarium fishes.
Contact your local department of agriculture, dep of Fisheries, and your dep of quarantine or customs. They should be able to tell you if you're allowed to bring in fishes from other parts of the world.
If you are allowed to bring them in to Turkey you will then have to find out if the UK or wherever you are getting the fish from, allows the fish to be exported from their country. Some countries will allow you to take non native fishes but have laws prohibiting the export of native or endemic species. I don't think the UK would have many issues with exporting tropical aquarium fishes. If they do then buy the fish from Asia. They will sell you anything and have no restrictions on exporting fishes with the exception of Saratogas and Arrowanas. Then they can only sell captive bred stock that are micro-chipped.

Most reactions

Back