Setting the TFF example

Naughts

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Byron Hoskins, RIP, has been an immensely positive and dignified influence to every one of us who ‘met’ him on TFF. Primarily he set an example of how we respect, value and care for the welfare of our fish.

Who are we and what examples are we setting?

Our life experiences, beliefs, values and traditions that are passed on from fish keeper to fish keeper and generation to generation on the TFF sub-culture have an abstract gravity.

We may reflect on how well we are meeting the ‘Five Needs’ of animal care for our fish (Animal Welfare Act 2006):
  1. The need for a suitable environment
  2. The need to be free from pain, suffering , injury and disease
  3. The need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals
  4. The need to exhibit normal behaviour patterns
  5. The need for a suitable diet

We may also reflect on our individual ethical viewpoint on animals and their care, as well as how it influences what we post and our reaction to what we read. Are we:
  1. Human centric - what we desire is most important
  2. Animal centric - the animals’ wellbeing is most important
  3. Environment centred/animal rights - every organism -plant, animal and human- has equal value
  4. Sentience centred - animals perceived to be sentient have higher value
  5. Relationship centred - higher levels of human/animal interaction have more value
  6. Utilitarianism - actions that bring the most benefits to the most parties are best
  7. Contractarianism - any action that is within the laws and legislation is acceptable
  8. Respect for nature - species centred, that which is organic and natural is deemed best.

Here on TFF we have a plethora of political, religious, economic, geographic, educational and social backgrounds but collectively, on TFF common ground, we create and maintain a TFF subculture that permeates every word.

I like what you said . . . . “how we respect , value and care for the welfare of our fish”. That’s the mark of a true aquarium hobbyist . They care about the fish , really care and aren’t just someone that wants something pretty for now until something else catches their eye . I love my fish and I want them to lead satisfying lives with me until they naturally perish in time . I don’t want my fish to be stressed by poor diet and living conditions . I want them to be the best specimens of their kind for me to enjoy looking at and for themselves to simply enjoy living , living such as it is in my glass prison . Respect , value and care of these fascinating creatures is just the way it is with me and I know that it is with everyone here .

Most reactions

Back