I Almost Grew Two Feet

I was hoping 6 months ago!!! But more realistically, the only real thing left is the plumbing which will hopefully be done this week.... although uncertain as my work schedule is quite full this week! After that will have to fill her up and check function and leaks, if that goes well hopefully the cycling will then start!

and how are things now? btw i love the sig pic

Sorry GAb, never saw that you posted here.
Plumbing is now done, just waiting for some electrical work to be completed then will be filling the tank up!

Here's the plumbing walk through:

Water enters weir
w03pn9.jpg

goes through external durso and down into sump
i5ytmu.jpg

Goes through sump chambers to pump. From the pump it has 3 different places it can go.
Up - to re-enter the tank
Right - to reactor
Right then straight - back into refugium. This is to tune down the pump
fa4gsz.jpg

Right: into the reactor and back out of the reactor
2rgz3eu.jpg

Up: Two different ways to go.
Up - into the wave maker which then splits into two separate directions.
Right - Extra outlet. This may never come into use, it is in case the wavemaker breaks, needs maintenance, or I just don't like the wavemaker.
x3zde1.jpg

Three outlets back into the tank
2lurl06.jpg

it looks all very complicated!!! but looks spot on, if your sig pic is anything to go by it will look stunning

Simon

A lot of thought went into the plumbing... into everything really! Part of the reason why it's taking so long!
Should be filling it up with water tomorrow to test the plumbing out... :D :D :D :) :D :D :hyper:

Operation fill up tank without flooding the house.... success!

Went so smooth I can hardly believe it.

Filling up the tank...
2h54k03.jpg

(Note: this is the same hose that gives the dog the bath, hence his interest..)

Full and Running!
r0vw9t.jpg

Wave maker seems to work well, switches sides about ever 8 seconds. I'm also going to have 2x 500gph powerheads, so flow shouldn't be a problem.

Close up...
208bu6r.jpg

Only small miscalculation was that the refugium and pump area will be running a little lower than I would have liked, but not much I can do to fix that. The noise is almost non-existent despite the fall from the two chambers. And no bubbles coming into the tank :)
258saw2.jpg

Gurgle from the weir is completely silent, a pin sized hole was all that way needed.

My mother made a mat for underneath the tank to "save the poor floors". It's covered in a permanent plastic material so that it can just be wiped with a cloth to clean it. Cute, I think.

2j44ivs.jpg

Only other thing discovered is that the two returns need holes drilled in them to prevent back siphoning. I also want to paint the white PVC above the tank (not visible in the pictures, but visibly ugly when looking at the tank from a higher level).

:good:

I decided that to cycle the tank, I am going to add pure ammonia similar to the way fw keepers are now cycling their tanks. Read a couple things up on it and seems some reefers have done it before with success. I'll throw in filter media that's been sitting in my tank for some months now and maybe a piece of live rock.

Successfully found pure ammonia today... third store checked :rolleyes:

Got the PVC painted black today, looks sooo much nicer now.

Some potential fish I'm thinking about with adult sizes listed.

Laboute's fairy** - 3.5"
Golden Rhomboid Fairy* - 4"
Lineatus Fairy** - 5"
Pink Margin Male Fairy* - 5"

* = Males lose some color when not with females
** = Males retain color

I know pretty much all of those are pricey but I want a couple of really nice fish (Plus i'm hoping my manager can get me them for wholesale price LOL). I want to try and do two fairies.

Mandarin Pair - 8"
Red Scooter Pair - 6"

Can't decide which is cuter :(

4-6x Chalk Bass - 3" each
4-6x Blue Gudgeon Gobies - 5" each

Leaning towards 4 chalks

Lyretail Anthias - 5"
Sunburst Anthias - 5"
Randall's Anthias- 3"

Want a single anthias, not sure which.

Power Brown Tang - 8"
White Cheek Tang - 8"

Still not sure if I want a tang or not. But if I decide I want one, it'd be one of the two

Gold Head Sleeper Pair - 10"

I miss my old male/female pair :(

Opinions welcome :)

Came home from work and apparently my current tank's stand is collapsing...
sump shelf is nearly tilted 45 degrees. Sooo new tank progress has sped up LOL. Dad has re-enforced the stand for now.

Tonight:
--> Put in sand
--> Added powerheads
--> Filled tank with approx. 55g new saltwater
--> Added 5g water from old tank
--> Placed in 3 disgusting but bacteria filled filter media
--> Dosed 31ml ammonia

I'll test ammonia tomorrow morning.
Also picking up some base rock tomorrow and putting in the rock I made.

I know seffie, good timing!

Bought 20 pounds base rock today
I have about 25-30 pounds I made
About 15 in my 29g

So looking to buy at least 20 pounds more. Hopefully Monday.

Filled the tank full and have everything running now. Added extra ammonia. It tested as 4.0 ppm, perfect. Hopefully the bacteria start gettin to work!

Tank as is (with my little pile of rocks, only 20 lbs atm),
15xu49y.jpg

I've only just noticed this journal and already I can't wait for the next installment.

Well done Nemo, the tank looks great :good:

We have cycling!
Stats this morning: NH3- 2.0; NO2- 0.25; NO3- 0

Although I guess I should admit I did add a bacteria product, but only because my 29g stand is making me nervous.

Bought an awesome piece of rock which weighs in at 14 lbs.
New fts:

qyzoll.jpg

On a side note, guess what 21 little fish got their first stripe today!
116km08.jpg

I've only just noticed this journal and already I can't wait for the next installment.

Well done Nemo, the tank looks great :good:

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back