Huge mistake... Im so mad at myself...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well now I'm really mad... My mom said that she doesnt want me "taking apart" the faucet... I tried to explain that its not taking it apart and that you're just taking a small part off that is supposed to come off... Then she goes "well just get better with the water changes"... By that time I was mad... Like, really mad... I said that I didnt want to lug buckets around and then dump it in the tank which would mess up the hard work for decor setup and it could kill or injure the fish from the flow of pouring the bucket of water in.... The next thing she said really made me mad... She said: "Well its not like you do large water changes often, they'll be fine"... I just shut up then... I was tired

Well now I'm really mad... My mom said that she doesnt want me "taking apart" the faucet... I tried to explain that its not taking it apart and that you're just taking a small part off that is supposed to come off... Then she goes "well just get better with the water changes"... By that time I was mad... Like, really mad... I said that I didnt want to lug buckets around and then dump it in the tank which would mess up the hard work for decor setup and it could kill or injure the fish from the flow of pouring the bucket of water in.... The next thing she said really made me mad... She said: "Well its not like you do large water changes often, they'll be fine"... I just shut up then... I was tired
Oh how it feels to not have your parents understand!

There's that feeling of wanting to stand up for yourself, but then knowing you need to respect your parents...

images

Ask if you can buy a pump, tubing, and a large tub or trash can. Dump the water from sink in the tub/can (placed next to tank), treat with de-chlorinator, then pump into the tank. As a plus, you can preheat tub/tank if you have a spare heater.

Ask if you can buy a pump, tubing, and a large tub or trash can. Dump the water from sink in the tub/can (placed next to tank), treat with de-chlorinator, then pump into the tank. As a plus, you can preheat tub/tank if you have a spare heater.
Sorry, not doing that... But thank you for the idea... I think I will just have to keep trying on that python water changer

tell her many members on our site use it. It is less messy and much easier than using buckets. The base model comes with 25 feet of hose but you can buy extensions to make it as long as you need. You could also show her the reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:
Just be sure the python will fit the faucet...You may need to get a rubber adapter at home depot. And measure the length of hose you would need to reach the faucet.

I feel like the "tell your parents that we here on the forum say *fill in the blank*" argument is used so often. Rocky's mom sounds a lot like mine and I know that what the "forum people" say would mean absolutely nothing to my mother 😂

I feel like the "tell your parents that we here on the forum say *fill in the blank*" argument is used so often. Rocky's mom sounds a lot like mine and I know that what the "forum people" say would mean absolutely nothing to my mother 😂
Yes, cause I already said that lots of people do it and she said: "well there are lots of others that do it the other way"

Yes, cause I already said that lots of people do it and she said: "well there are lots of others that do it the other way"
Oh my word, the struggles of teenage fish keepers! My parents are exactly the same, which is why I haven’t even breached the subject of a pump on the faucet yet. I got gifted a 20g, and I would LOVE to have a betta setup in it but they wont even consider setting up another :(

I do 50% water changes a week on a 180 litre/48 gallon tank using a bucket. It's not my parents that won't allow me to use a python, it's my husband. I should never have used the word bacteria in his hearing. He somehow thinks that germs will travel along the hose to the sink. Besides which, I can't use hot tap water due to the way our plumbing works.

It's just the time and effort it takes, the decor and the fish are unaffected. I don't pour the water straight in from the bucket - I couldn't lift it that high even if I wanted to (64 inches tall and past retirement age). So I stand the bucket on a tall stool and ladle the water from the bucket to the tank with a jug, and pour it through a home made colander - a yoghurt pot with as many holes as I could fit stabbed in the bottom with a knitting needle. Because the water now enters the tank in many tiny streams rather than one big one it does not disturb the sand, plants or fish.

If I can change 24 gallons a week using a bucket at my age, a youngster like you should be able to do that ;)

Oh my word, the struggles of teenage fish keepers! My parents are exactly the same, which is why I haven’t even breached the subject of a pump on the faucet yet. I got gifted a 20g, and I would LOVE to have a betta setup in it but they wont even consider setting up another :(
Well setting up a new tank is a little different than getting a helper tool... A tank takes up a lot of space and if the owners of the home don't want that space taken, they have every right to say no... But it is upsetting

I do 50% water changes a week on a 180 litre/48 gallon tank using a bucket. It's not my parents that won't allow me to use a python, it's my husband. I should never have used the word bacteria in his hearing. He somehow thinks that germs will travel along the hose to the sink. Besides which, I can't use hot tap water due to the way our plumbing works.

It's just the time and effort it takes, the decor and the fish are unaffected. I don't pour the water straight in from the bucket - I couldn't lift it that high even if I wanted to (64 inches tall and past retirement age). So I stand the bucket on a tall stool and ladle the water from the bucket to the tank with a jug, and pour it through a home made colander - a yoghurt pot with as many holes as I could fit stabbed in the bottom with a knitting needle. Because the water now enters the tank in many tiny streams rather than one big one it does not disturb the sand, plants or fish.

If I can change 24 gallons a week using a bucket at my age, a youngster like you should be able to do that ;)
Ask him to do water changes for 2 weeks and then show a video of the python 😉😂

What, touch germ laden water o_O Mind you, he did carry the buckets for me for several water changes after I had cataract surgery and wasn't allowed to lift anything for a month afterward. Twice (2 eyes).

There's also the problem of heating the water. I couldn't run water at the current winter temp straight into the tank and I can't use hot tap water to warm it. It's easier to to add boiling water from a kettle to each bucketful that try to work out how to warm 24 gallons of icy cold water by some other means.

Wishful thinking doesn't get anything done. I work with what I have.
If we had a combi boiler I could use hot tap water and a hose, but we don't so I use buckets
If there was somewhere to leave 24 gallons to warm up with an aquarium heater I could do that, but there's nowhere to keep a large bin near an electric point even for a few hours so I use buckets.

Most reactions

Back