Huge 900g Tank Project

I dont go to MA stores, too often ive found them to be overpriced with morons for staff so i avoid them all now.

The one at st albans is good mate I know the guy that runs it do you want me to see if they have what your looking for?

try climate centres for pipe conectors we use them on the air con drains and that safe to use on fish tanks as i supllied all the pipe for me mates shop :good: :good:

failing that plumb centre

cheers dane

Well we have progress!!

It seems that if you ask for 1 1/2" pipe fittings suddenly people know what you are talking about and have them in stock :S
so today i got a couple of tank conectors and the first bits of pipework to connect the tank to the sump, i didnt get it all as i wanted to check if they would fit with standard plumbing pipe, which they do so i will be buying the rest tomorrow and all going well i will begin filling the tank sometime tomorrow evening.

So here are some update pictures

The sump tank, its a plastic water storage tank from the loft of a house that was being demolished and holds around 100 gallons of water when full, the blue cylinder is from a water softening system and is filled with 15 kilos of alfa grog which the water has to pass up through from the bottom of the cylinder. There are also 3 media trays filled with another 15 kilos of alfogrog

sump_tank_1.jpg

sump_tank_2.jpg

The water from the tank goes down the black central tube which has slots cut through it at the bottom, the water then rises back up through the media and over the lip of the cylinder back into the main sump.

This is the pump that will be moving all the water around, its a swimming pool/pond pump that pumps 2900 gallons per hour

sump_pump.jpg

and heres a couple of shots of the tank showing the background i attached

background_1.jpg

background_2.jpg

Looking great, alltough wont the media in that blue cylinder be pushed over the top of the cylinder when the pumps turned on, or is the media heavier than it looks? Very interesting design, hope the fill-up goes well.

Great to see some progress CFC, hope you get it running very soon!

Alfagrog is a very porous rock and is a good weight so it's not going to overflow the cylinder catfish are cool

We have water in the tank!!

I wont bore everyone with pictures of the tank filling but by 10pm tonight it should be full and i'll post some more pictures up of the filtration working.

Most reactions

Back