Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
hi, as many of you guys may know, a fish has fin rot
but his cory friends in the tank may be sensitive to aquarium salt
can i do a salt bath?
how do you reccomend i do it
i have a 5 gallon uncycled but i will change the water every day with cycled tank water or just unconditioned water

hello.....?
@Colin_T you have helped me with salt before, do you have a link or a resource for this>

One teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water is the maximum cories can withstand.

One teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water is the maximum cories can withstand.
yeah i agree with that but how do i do a bath for my guppy?
they can withstand a lot but do i just add the normal amount for guppy into the bucket?

I use one heaped tablespoon per 5 gallons for finrot and the like. That would likely be fine for a guppy.

I use one heaped tablespoon per 5 gallons for finrot and the like. That would likely be fine for a guppy.
ok, so i slowly add it in over time?
or just throw it in
last time i suddenly put a guppy in there with some salt and he kinda....
passed away...
r.i.p. snake

I've never tried it, but I've read you can do a salt dip. Here's what I found...

A "dip treatment" is a short exposure to medication that is useful for the eradication of parasites. The high concentration of salt in the water will cause the parasites to come off the skin of the fish. For dips, freshwater fish can be placed in an aerated container of salted water with up to three percent salinity (10 level Tablespoons, or 5 ounces, per gallon of water) for 5 minutes, and up to 30 minutes, or until they lay on the bottom or roll on their side.

Maybe @Colin_T or others with more experience could verify if this works?

I usually mix the salt into I a cup of water, and slowly add it to the container my fish is in, using the same method as a drip acclamation. Or I occasionally add the salt to my filter a bit at a time so it dissolves into the tank water. This is a little abrupt, but I have never had any problems.

I've never tried it, but I've read you can do a salt dip. Here's what I found...

A "dip treatment" is a short exposure to medication that is useful for the eradication of parasites. The high concentration of salt in the water will cause the parasites to come off the skin of the fish. For dips, freshwater fish can be placed in an aerated container of salted water with up to three percent salinity (10 level Tablespoons, or 5 ounces, per gallon of water) for 5 minutes, and up to 30 minutes, or until they lay on the bottom or roll on their side.

Maybe @Colin_T or others with more experience could verify if this works?
oh i have fin rot
yeah maybe some other guys can confirm if that works with fin rot too!
I usually mix the salt into I a cup of water, and slowly add it to the container my fish is in, using the same method as a drip acclamation. Or I occasionally add the salt to my filter a bit at a time so it dissolves into the tank water. This is a little abrupt, but I have never had any problems.
thanks

I've responded to this in one of your other threads, but...

Bacteria may show themselves to us by the signs of 'fin rot', but please understand that, unlike external parasites, the bacteria is present throughout the fish's body.

oh i have fin rot
yeah maybe some other guys can confirm if that works with fin rot too!

thanks

Yeah, wasn't sure if a dip was effective for the rot.

I had to treat mouth rot a couple months ago. Can't remember if it is caused by the same bacteria or not. I tried salt, just adding to the tank, and then melafix to no avail. Lost 4 tetras and a gourami started showing symptoms too. Treated with Kanaplex and that saved the gourami (he even healed up to the point you could barely see the scar tissue). I wouldn't recommend jumping to the kanaplex right away, I only did after exhausting other means.

*Edit: The kanaplex will also destroy the biofilter, so filter media needs removed and water params checked multiple times per day. Again, I only tried as a last resort.

Last edited:
Another good reason why a small 'hospital/quarantine' tank is a must-have, to place on stand-by for duties such as this.

Very true and I have since acquired a small tank for just that. But in my case, multiple fish were affected and it had transferred from one species to another, so I felt it best to treat everyone. It was a lot of work.

Very true and I have since acquired a small tank for just that. But in my case, multiple fish were affected and it had transferred from one species to another, so I felt it best to treat everyone. It was a lot of work.
Depending on the illness...Assuming you've identified the cause and eliminated it, then it's practical to treat smaller numbers of fish at a time. This saves the plants and other non-diseased animals getting a treatment they don't need. The challenge is then to be able to identify which fish you've treated and which you haven't, so as to avoid overdosing some and underdosing others.

I've responded to this in one of your other threads, but...

Bacteria may show themselves to us by the signs of 'fin rot', but please understand that, unlike external parasites, the bacteria is present throughout the fish's body.
yeah i kinda made the fish eat melafix.... i ""over"" dosed it (not really )
and i feel theres no more blood today!!
so my guppies all come to me when i feed and start sucking at nothing so i took advantage of that
they dont seem to mind at all

Most reactions

Back