How to salt bath for fin rot

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@Sgooosh While I can't comment on using salt to treat with cories in the mix, I would definitely recommend evaluating the underlying condition.

In no attempt to call you out (believe me, I've had fin rot issues in the past), I have noticed that you've dealt with fin rot pretty frequently (or at least, double posting in both Emergencies and Discussion).

In my experience (along with a good googling), Fin Rot is typically caused from either:
1. Poor Stocking (incompatible fish cause damage, it does not heal properly)
2. (Most common) Poor water quality (not frequent enough water changes)
3. Overfeeding (See #2)
4. Stress (can be caused by water temp, tank mates, water quality, etc.)

It might be worth seeing if there is an underlying issue in your aquarium(s) that is leading to this.

When I was much younger (which is relative, I'm 28) I had a very overstocked 30g and I did not do proper water changes and overfed (once had a nitrate reading of 80ppm) I dealt with fin rot a LOT. I found that I could only treat it with "over the counter" medications because my water quality was so poor that the fish could not naturally heal itself.

Since joining the forum (maybe 2006? 2008?) I have learned a lot and once I understood the relationship between water quality, stocking, feeding I have never once had a fish suffer from fin rot.

Again - not try to shame or insinuate that you are not a capable fish keeper; just trying to highlight that because fin rot does not happen to healthy fish in a healthy ecosystem, that there is probably an underlying cause and by diagnosing and treating it you would probably have much better luck.

Last edited:
@Sgooosh While I can't comment on using salt to treat with cories in the mix, I would definitely recommend evaluating the underlying condition.

In no attempt to call you out (believe me, I've had fin rot issues in the past), I have noticed that you've dealt with fin rot pretty frequently (or at least, double posting in both Emergencies and Discussion).

In my experience (along with a good googling), Fin Rot is typically caused from either:
1. Poor Stocking (incompatible fish cause damage, it does not heal properly)
2. (Most common) Poor water quality (not frequent enough water changes)
3. Overfeeding (See #2)
4. Stress (can be caused by water temp, tank mates, water quality, etc.)

It might be worth seeing if there is an underlying issue in your aquarium(s) that is leading to this.

When I was much younger (which is relative, I'm 28) I had a very overstocked 30g and I did not do proper water changes and overfed (once had a nitrate reading of 80ppm) I dealt with fin rot a LOT. I found that I could only treat it with "over the counter" medications because my water quality was so poor that the fish could not naturally heal itself.

Since joining the forum (maybe 2006? 2008?) I have learned a lot and once I understood the relationship between water quality, stocking, feeding I have never once had a fish suffer from fin rot.

Again - not try to shame or insinuate that you are not a capable fish keeper; just trying to highlight that because fin rot does not happen to healthy fish in a healthy ecosystem, that there is probably an underlying cause and by diagnosing and treating it you would probably have much better luck.
yes it first wasnt an emergency....

ok'
maybe i need to seperate the baby...
the babies' survival rate is very low, so they die often, then, the fish eat and touch the dead bacteria fish, which gives them fin rot
i have a breeder box and i will use it...
ill update in a while and ill remove any dead babies when i see it!
thanks,

my water quality is "pristine" no nitrogen and ammonia, 7.5+ ph
120 kh 150+gh

Most reactions

Back