How Nano Can A Nano Be?

The June FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi...sure..this tank is a doable. However..and..as always...at the risk of taking some flak, I would recommend starting with a larger nano, getting the hang of it, then starting up a pico. Most nano reefers go this route. It doesn't mean you can't do it nor do I want to rain on your parade.

Melev's reef is a great link, but, he has YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. Eg...you look at his tank and see a clam. Do you know how complicated it is to keep a clam in a pico? It needs a level of light that would EASILY overheat a tank. I know for a fact that he feeds his corals......so..he has the experience to add food to a 2 gallon tank, a real risk in the hands of the inexperienced.

Again....be careful when you look at tanks and simply say, 'hey..if he can do it...so can I'. Well, you can...with experience.

So...sure..you can start off with a small tank..but do a lot of reading and prep before you do. I purchased my nano tank and it sat on my living room floor for 2 months before I started it. I was reading.

Find some successful pico links and read their WHOLE setup diary.

Good luck and we look forward to your thread.

:hi:

SH

Hi...sure..this tank is a doable. However..and..as always...at the risk of taking some flak, I would recommend starting with a larger nano, getting the hang of it, then starting up a pico. Most nano reefers go this route. It doesn't mean you can't do it nor do I want to rain on your parade.

Melev's reef is a great link, but, he has YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. Eg...you look at his tank and see a clam. Do you know how complicated it is to keep a clam in a pico? It needs a level of light that would EASILY overheat a tank. I know for a fact that he feeds his corals......so..he has the experience to add food to a 2 gallon tank, a real risk in the hands of the inexperienced.

Again....be careful when you look at tanks and simply say, 'hey..if he can do it...so can I'. Well, you can...with experience.

So...sure..you can start off with a small tank..but do a lot of reading and prep before you do. I purchased my nano tank and it sat on my living room floor for 2 months before I started it. I was reading.

Find some successful pico links and read their WHOLE setup diary.

Good luck and we look forward to your thread.

:hi:

SH

Hi SH
I have already done a lot of research and really do understand what you are saying but, I have also read about many total beginners setting up Picos and them flourishing. Unless you really don't think that I should do it I am going to go ahead. Oh and yes I know how much work that guy puts in :blink: and I have no plan to have in quite as complex it was just inspirational. I will listen if you really don't think that I should do it, but I am happy spending a lot of time looking after it and I am in no hurry the set-up will differently not be rushed.

Thanks SH :thumbs:

Ollie

I have approx. 2x my tank water so 5.5 gallons of water but it's more like 4.75 and I have little over 9lbs. of LR plus some rubble in my hob filter. I have some porous rocks and some are more compact that's why I can have so much. If you get light porous rock you won't need so much. Just make sure you leave room for corals, when you get corals sometimes you get pieces of LR, I made this mistake and got some mushrooms on a 1.5lb piece of rock. Corals some that I know so far are:
mushrooms
polyps
zooathinids
green star polyp
leather???
frogspawn????
Somebody else will correct me

I am looking at;
Turbinaria reniformis- It sounds really easy to look after, can anybody tell me any more about this coral
Red Mushrooms- I believe that these are very east to look after, please correct me if I am wrong.
Polyps- What kind would you recommend?
Yellow Polyp- I really don't know much about these are they hard to keep?
Green Star Polyp- these look great :drool: and sound easy to keep.

What do you think a good start?

I am going to the LFS later I will see what they have, and start to get all the bits for the tank together i.e. RO Water, Power head- how many LPH would you recommend for such a small tank, Heater and Salt :hyper:

Many Thanks :good:

Oliver

Those are all easy corals you've chosen there. For a powerhead, the rules still apply, buy a powerhead whose GPH rating is 10-20 times the tank volume for soft corals (which are what you chose)

Those are all easy corals you've chosen there. For a powerhead, the rules still apply, buy a powerhead whose GPH rating is 10-20 times the tank volume for soft corals (which are what you chose)

Ok so the Eheim Compact Pump 300 would be fine its 300LPH this is in a 30 litre. also I posted saying what paint can I use inside the aquarium, any ideas??

Many thanks

Oliver

When you paint a background on your aquarium you paint the outside of the aquarium with any type based paint. I would use laytex though.

When you paint a background on your aquarium you paint the outside of the aquarium with any type based paint. I would use laytex though.

Hi the only trouble is the tank has a mirrored back.

Thanks

Oliver

Well paint on the inside of the tank...eh. I don't like that idea. Can you take the mirror off?

Well paint on the inside of the tank...eh. I don't like that idea. Can you take the mirror off?

I dont think so :crazy: , this could be a problem then, I will try tomorow. Any other ideas???? :shout:

Thanks

Oliver

Only thing I can think of to look for would be epoxy based paints... Not the best of help, but maybe a start on what to look for.

Ok I have just been and looked at and I could sand the mirror of the back of the glass. I cant think that it would do any damage but wold it look stupid when I then paint over it with black paint? because of it's mat finish.

Oh and the mirror is on the out side of the tank ;)

Many Thanks

Ollie

I'd be willing to bet that there is some sort of solvent that would take that off, since it's on the outside you could look into that. That being said sanding isn't a bad idea either, once you paint it though, it may show up with scratches under the paint. I'd try sanding and painting a spare piece of glass first to see how it turns out.

SLC

I'd be willing to bet that there is some sort of solvent that would take that off, since it's on the outside you could look into that. That being said sanding isn't a bad idea either, once you paint it though, it may show up with scratches under the paint. I'd try sanding and painting a spare piece of glass first to see how it turns out.

SLC

Good idea with the practice piece I will try that later.

will an Eheim Compact Pump 300 be enough its 300LPH this is in a 30 litre?

Thanks

Oliver

Just barely, I'd get 2 if at all possible. The rule of thumb is 10x-20x tank turnover rate, I'd shoot for the upper end of that if it were me!

SLC

Agreed on the pump. If you dont have spare glass to practice on, try just sanding a small section at the bottom of the tank near the sand line and painting that... See what it looks like

Most reactions

Back