How Nano Can A Nano Be?

Discus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Would it be possible to set-up a 30 litre 7.93 US gallons as a beginner :huh: ?, I have got an old tank which I would like to turn into a Reef tank. It would only have a fish or two with a small CUC and some frags, is this even worth thinking about? :/ .

Would this be worth considering -_- ?

Oliver

Would it be possible to set-up a 30 litre 7.93 US gallons as a beginner :huh: ?, I have got an old tank which I would like to turn into a Reef tank. It would only have a fish or two with a small CUC and some frags, is this even worth thinking about? :/ .

Would this be worth considering -_- ?

Oliver

It can be done, but with only one very small fish if even that, not two. I'm thinking that maybe a clown goby or one of the other variety of small gobies.

Most doing this small of a tank choose to have it be only coral and no fish!

Most on this forum might choose between fish or corals in a 7 gallon. There are many nano and pico reefers not of this forum (but members of far forums with a far wider knowledge base for SW) who will keep corals and fish (or even more than one fish) in tanks this size.

It cannot be described as easy, but it is far from impossible.

Very true, it's doable but not really reccomendable. Most would consider my 12 gallon to be overstocked, it just takes a closer eye to maintain water quality.

SLC

its ceartainly possible, you could only have 1 fish in there, a small goby like neons or clown gobies, or a percula clown or false perucla. corals all depend on the lighting u have..

A psuedochromis all by itself would be a great choice for a small nano like this. Lotsa spunk and usually on display :)

Hi all this help has been great :thumbs: . Would it be possible to have a Watchman Goby? I have always liked them :hyper: . I am certainly happy with just the one fish, but I would like some coral as well are you saying that I could not have any? I could even just get some small frags and give then away when they get to big. Oh and one of you mentioned lighting, I currently have no lighting so you tell me what I need :nod: . None of you said any thing about the CUC is this possible?

Many thanks

Oliver

You can definitely keep a watchman goby even one paired with a pistol shrimp if you like :)

what are the dimensions of your tank? and what corals would you like to keep?

You can definitely keep a watchman goby even one paired with a pistol shrimp if you like :)

That great :D , I have got the measurements for the tank it 15.5"X15.5"x7.5". having looked at it I'm worried about LR and how i can position it :/ , the measurements may also affect the fish would the watchman goby still work in a tanks this shape?

Many thanks

Ollie

p.s. what paint can I paint the back in, it currently has a mirrored back which I really don't want it would have to work inside the tank.

For LR buy the smallest pieces you can find so you can have more options better with maybe one-two medium size bottom pieces. My tank is 8" deep and it's hard to position large pieces of rock.

For LR buy the smallest pieces you can find so you can have more options better with maybe one-two medium size bottom pieces. My tank is 8" deep and it's hard to position large pieces of rock.

That's what I thought that I would end up doing, do you think that 4Kg of LR would be ok?

There are currently no corals I have in mind I would just like nice looking and easy to look after because I am only a beginner, what would you guys recommend?

Ollie

I have approx. 2x my tank water so 5.5 gallons of water but it's more like 4.75 and I have little over 9lbs. of LR plus some rubble in my hob filter. I have some porous rocks and some are more compact that's why I can have so much. If you get light porous rock you won't need so much. Just make sure you leave room for corals, when you get corals sometimes you get pieces of LR, I made this mistake and got some mushrooms on a 1.5lb piece of rock. Corals some that I know so far are:
mushrooms
polyps
zooathinids
green star polyp
leather???
frogspawn????
Somebody else will correct me

Most reactions

Back