How Do You Name Your Fish?

How Do You Name Your Fish?

• Total voters
I had a betta named Glory. She was a dumbo ear one, and I thought she looked like a pink Morning Glory flower

6BA62773-8AC8-46B6-8AAB-EB0F136C3A92.jpeg
92690D18-5564-4153-A5F5-64D09B5F0E48.png

I’ve had three Bettas and on the whole the grandchildren think of the names.
The first was a blue double tail dragon (?) and he was called Sisu from a film about water dragons, the second was red and I named him Rooi (red in dutch) and now I have another blue on that the grandchildren have named Blue! ?

Last edited:
I name the fish as long as the name comes to my mind instantly - don't have kids to help with that so it's either me or my partner (who is like a child sometimes so I suppose this can count)

We now have:

orange Molly with black spots called Freckle
Bristlenose Pleco called Zoltan
A Gourami called The Duke or Philip (Can't tell you why because of my dark sense of humour and the link to the Royal Family)
A Clown Loach called Dot - because of a black marking on the tail
2 goldfish - Holden and Tench - from Mindhunter

I did name a few other fish but names just didn't really stick so I only used the ones listed above

hi, i was wondering how you guys name your fish, as i have many unnamed fish :D
pick top 1-3 options :)
It usually takes me a while to name my fish because I like it to fit their personality and it can take a while to get a good feel for that. Plus sometimes when adding more than one at a time you might have to learn to tell them apart first. It doesn’t help that a lot of times with younger fish you can’t even tell if it’s male or female yet. I’ve started giving unisex names more often because I’ve gotten tired of having to rename them once they turn out to be the opposite sex. ?

I don't name my fish... ? Apart from a blue plakat betta I called Sid Fishious after a particularly brutal earth worm feeding

The only fish I have ever named have been male bettas. Since I had them one at a time, they all had the same name - Mr Fish.

Those spiky grass things might hurt her fins... beautiful betta
Thank you. Unfortunately she passed away about a year ago. She was my first betta, I didn’t take care of her right, but I have learned a lot since then

I was sad, but having her taught me a lot. I learned from what I did wrong, and I when I did things right you could visibly see she was doing better. What ended up killing her was I put a shell in her tank, and I think it must have had some chemical on/in it or something, even though I washed it. I was think it leeched something into her water. But I learned from that too and threw the shell away!

Sometimes I instantly name a fish like the l200 I bought was shrek instantly it’s now called Anne frank because it just hides
My female electric blue acara was another instant name I called her Thor , thought I was male and yano god of thunder , lightning ( electric) some fish I name after a few weeks once there personailty comes through like my sev is called honey boo boo because it’s fat n eats everything lol
Some fish never get named normally shoaling fish for me I haven’t named any tetra or corys

When I had Endlers I never bothered with names, for obvious reasons XD But all my bettas have had individual names. Mostly from the various fandoms I'm in ? My current ones are Dagon (the fish-god from ancient Mesopotamia & various contemporary fictional works):
IMG_20210302_193003_1.jpg

And Phoenix - named mostly after his appearance, because he has all the colours of fire and ashes? & the edges of his tail and anal fin look like they've been singed. And partly because of the change/rebirth/redemption symbolism.
IMG_20210504_164829.jpg

I also had one named after Carrie Fisher, one whose name was in Quenya, 2 named after obscure Star Wars characters, and one simply called Jerry (he was adopted & I decided not to change his former name)?
Yes I'm a nerd lol ?

Last edited:
I've got too many fish to name them all... ?

Most reactions

Back