High ammonia levels

Tdiggy74

Reaction score
I had some issues with my tank...lots of high ammonia levels. Spoke to my local aquarium store, and I started using Dr. Tims. My ammonia levels are still very high. I do have fish in the tank.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20220312_134219.jpg
    20220312_134219.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 31
Hi, please take a picture of the tank and list all the fish and plants in it.

Anything new recently? At all? Fish, plants, snails, decorations?

Please post all other water parameters that you can measure with the master kit too. (Nitrites, nitrates, pH)

Have you found anything dead, or anything missing (that could be dead somewhere) and when was your most recent water change?

Hi, please take a picture of the tank and list all the fish and plants in it.

Anything new recently? At all? Fish, plants, snails, decorations?

Please post all other water parameters that you can measure with the master kit too. (Nitrites, nitrates, pH)

Have you found anything dead, or anything missing (that could be dead somewhere) and when was your most recent water change?
My decor is a few fake plants, 6 ornaments. None of this is new decor. I have two angels and an electric blue acara.

What, in numbers, is your ammonia level..? Can I clarify what Dr Tim’s product you are adding…ammonia..?

you need to do a large water change immediately to get the ammonia levels down to zero - anything higher will kill the fish.

Your tank is not cycled and is dangerous for live fish. Test ammonia and nitrites daily...if anywhere above 0, you must do a very large (75%) water change . You will need to do this every day if levels are above 0. Try adding some live plants including floating plants to speed up cycling.

What, in numbers, is your ammonia level..? Can I clarify what Dr Tim’s product you are adding…ammonia..?

you need to do a large water change immediately to get the ammonia levels down to zero - anything higher will kill the fish.
My levels have been between .25 and .50 for a few week. I am using Dr. Tims One and only every few days.
My tap water is so at the same level.

Be sure to use a dechlroinator when doing a water change.

Something is causing the spike. If nothing was recently introduced and nothing died (fish, snail, etc) then I'd say fishmanic is right and somehow your cycle is not complete or broke for some reason. You do need to bring the ammonia down asap by doing big water changes, I'd go for 75%, but please do test for nitrites and nitrates too before you do that, that might help confirm where your cycle is right now

Something is causing the spike. If nothing was recently introduced and nothing died (fish, snail, etc) then I'd say fishmanic is right and somehow your cycle is not complete or broke for some reason. You do need to bring the ammonia down asap by doing big water changes, I'd go for 75%, but please do test for nitrites and nitrates too before you do that, that might help confirm where your cycle is right now
Aquarium store told me to avoid any water changes because I could be flushing away any of the beneficial bacteria. My nitrates and nitrites are at 0 ppm.

BB do not live in the water..they grow in the filter, substrate, decor etc. You local fish store is WRONG! You need to lower the ammonia and nitrites by doing LARGE water changes.

Beneficial bacteria attaches itself to hard surfaces, like decorations, plants and your filter media. Water changes don't flush it. Your cycle is broken or was never completed to begin with. I'm new to this too, but first thing everyone will tell you is that high ammonia and high nitrites are the first things you want to avoid. If the ammonia is not brought down asap, your fish will die.

Also, be sure to thoroughy shake shake shake the reagent bottles before adding to the vials. This ensures tests are accurate.

Also, be sure to thoroughy shake shake shake the reagent bottles before adding to the vials. This ensures tests are accurate.
I am just wondering why the water in my water supply is also reading at the same ammonia level, and if that is having an effect on the tank water readings ?

I am just wondering why the water in my water supply is also reading at the same ammonia level, and if that is having an effect on the tank water readings ?
That's unfortunate, something must have happened or changed in your water supply or the pipes, but at least that explains the "spike". I don't use prime, but happen to have a bottle of it and it says it neutralizes ammonia, nitrites and nitrates on top of chlorine. Afaik that's a "temporary" binding though, I can't give a definitive opinion there don't know if there are multiple versions of the product. But if your ammonia is this high and both your nitrites and nitrates are at zero, it seems your tank isn't cycled. Even if the "fresh" water is loaded with ammonia, your bb should still be converting it to nitrites and then nitrates should show SOMETHING, specially if you don't have live plants.

I'd defer to more experienced fellow hobbyists, I'm a bit perplexed as to how to deal with "clean" water that comes up with do much ammonia right off the faucet.

Most reactions

Back