Hate suction cups that won't hold!

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a total gripe with products that state that the included suction cups will securely hold the thing in place and don't.

In my specific case it is my tank heater. Whether on a glass surface or the back plate between the 'visible' tank and and the built in filtration chambers the cups just won't hold.

I'm thinking of a solution that I see no reason why would not work. Some feel that a heater should be vertical but I really don't think it makes a difference if it is horizontal. Actually I think horizontal placement might even be better as heat rises and a horizontal position would possibly be better as the rising heat would be spread out more.

Anyway... I'm thinking about using plastic wire ties to horizontally mount the heater on my under gravel air risers. The air risers are close enough to do this. I have the under gravel plates forward enough that I could do this with the heater behind the risers.

Anyone see anything wrong with my plan?

Oh, here is what I mean as to the air risers to which I would tie the heater. My worry is that one of the ties would actually be around the heating element section of the heater. As the ties would be on the loose side I don't see an issue as it would not be like the heating elements would be able to melt the ties.
IMG_2459.JPG

Last edited:
There are some heaters that will turn off if perfectly horizontal. They will work at an angle though. This does not apply all brands of heaters, just some of them. You could test it out to see if it's an issue.

There are some heaters that will turn off if perfectly horizontal. They will work at an angle though. This does not apply all brands of heaters, just some of them. You could test it out to see if it's an issue.
Thanks for the input. :) While I no longer have the instruction sheet for the heater I DO remember that it was stated that it could be mounted either vertical or horizontal. Using plastic wire ties to anchor the danged thing horizontal it would still be at a bit of an angle.

Always try to keep the water around suction cups calm, it often helps them to stick if there isn't turbulence nearby - especially air bubbles that can work their way tween suction cup and glass if a suction cup is not absolutely stuck down 100% and the turbulence will move the object that the suction cup is holding (even though you will not always see that movement), the constant vibrations caused by turbulent water gradually unsticks the suction cup til it lets go completely

It's not so much the heaters that I have problems with, although they are problematic nevertheless. It's the internal filters. Even a new Oase filter I bought has suction cups that are pressed through a hole in the casing but when taking out the media trays for sponges and activated charcoal they are pushed out of the hole as there isn't enough room on the inside of the case. Such a simple thing should have been attended to in the original plans.
Other filters that are a fair bit bigger are my main problem. I have found the answer to that though. I have some white perspex sheeting and I cut a piece off that's long enough to glue onto the back of the filter, then up and over the tank rim for a couple of inches. I then use a heat source to carefully bend the perspex at the point of the tank rim so that it drops down the back of the tank. When I bend it, I do it over a bar or something of the same rim thickness so that it fits snugly. Looks good and is a once and for all fix.

I’ve a double barelled sponge filter that works loose within minutes of being stuck. It’s driving me garratty.

Funny how things work out... I'm amazed that I didn't have any nylon wire ties to use to mount the heater so I ordered 100 of the things. What amazes me is that I'm paying less for 100 than I would if I bought a 20 pack locally.

One thing concerns me a little. When I strap the heater to my air risers one strap will be around the actual heating element. Still I don't really see an issue as this will not be a tight tie but, rather, just enough to hold in place. I want the ties loose so I can still work with the air risers if needed.

Last edited:
One thing concerns me a little. When I strap the heater to my air risers one strap will be around the actual heating element. Still I don't really see an issue as this will not be a tight tie but, rather, just enough to hold in place. I want the ties loose so I can still work with the air risers if needed.
That should be fine. The heater doesn't really get hot hot.

Ties for the heater should be here day after tomorrow, Thursday. Mayhaps I'm being paranoid but nylon wire ties are not really designed for an aquarium and I had a contaminated plant from Petco totally kill my tank.

I plan to scrub the daylights out of the ones that will be used then boil. May be paranoid but who can tell what may be on the things from the factory as they are not specifically designed for aquatics...

My concern is residues of oil. Just from looking at a wire tie I would assume that they are formed through a process called die casting. While aluminum, not plastic, I have done die casting and there is always oil used to keep the material from sticking to the die. I just want to be sure that I don't put residual oil in the tank.

This may all be paranoid but if you had a plant kill an entire tank you just may think the same. ;)

Just for those that have no clue die casting is a process where you have a die -- think mold -- to which the finished product is injected into the die under pressure in liquid form.

Most reactions

Back