Guppy Fry Died

robertherrington

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I Had My Guppy And Platy Fry In A Breeder Net Last Night And Woke Up Today To Find 5 Of Them Dead. Could This Be Caused By My Water Temp Dropping 4Dergrees Between Last Night And This Morning? My Platy Fry All Survived

You have had the same problem I had.

Two guppies gave birth the 28 babies, the next morning I only had two live ones. I have no idea what happened.

Sorry I dont have an answer though.

Are we talking four degrees F or C? Either way, you don't want temperature swings. Do you have a heater in the tank? That is a must, even if it is summer. The temperature in areas that these fish are not native too have wider swings in temperature between night and day.

Are we talking four degrees F or C? Either way, you don't want temperature swings. Do you have a heater in the tank? That is a must, even if it is summer. The temperature in areas that these fish are not native too have wider swings in temperature between night and day.

Yes i have a heater in there but it was turned down because it was so hot in my house it go cold out last night though. and were talking 4d F

4 degrees F aint alot...

could be cause by bad water.. possibly not enough food.

i lost alot of fry and that was because of water condition going bad. i was unprepared for constant water changes and almost continuous feeding. good luck with the platy's

most fry die from swim bladder disease and theres not much you can do
not true its rare for me to loose a fry let alone to swimbladder, i keep my fry in an unheated 3 gal tank and have had no problems raising them. did you notice any difference about them before they died? were they always on the bottom of the breeder?

Well, in my experience, losing fry is going to happen at some point. The reason the mom has so many is becasue she knows in the wild only 1 or 2 will make it to adult hood. Now, if they are a month old and 5 die, then i investigate. Congrats on the fry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, you might want to buy some AmQuel + to get rid of nitrites, ammonia, nitrates.

i agree with orang shark. weak genes could be a possability. ive had many problems such as this. to prevent it i went out and baught more females from a different store to were i got the males. whole new colours and new genes. cant go wrong. watch them if this happens again trade the females in with new ones.
regards, community

Most reactions

Back