Fishless Cycle Starting Today

Thanks, that's very helpful. Did you put 13ml in at the beginning from the calculator (or a bit less as the tank wasn't full)?
Yes, and followed up with several water changes to bring it down from the 6-8+ppm it went up to! I didn't account for the fact the tank wasn't full and had its substrate in! Probably nearer 200 litres in reality, if that. The water changes brought it down to 4ppm where it stayed until 2 days after the gunky water was added on day 12...

Hi, JDs4me.

You're doing the exact opposite to my fish-in cycle and from the looks of things you're almost cycled, congrats!

I really dig the decor, where did you get the celtic cross ? :good:

Dean.

Glad you like the decor; celtic cross off ebay, it has a plinth on the base - perfect for positioning securely! I'm hoping it will darken as time passes and the algae take root.

Have bought some Ilyodon xantusi today off a fellow forum member; they are acclimatising as I type! Beautiful fish, thanks to NObody Of The Goat for these excellent new arrivals!

Cool! Any pics of your new arrivals?

gonna do a photo shoot on weds! I have some fish coming in the post and am going to do a simple photo journal-type thing of how they arrive, how they look etc. suggested by a forum buddy...I was amazed that fish were actually posted to hobbyists and a little put off initially, but have been assured that good care is given to ensure minimal stress to the fish, and this way you can get what you want when you want it, rather than having to wait on a promise from the local fish shop!. I will snap the Ilyodons at the same time...they seem to have settled in well!

gonna do a photo shoot on weds! I have some fish coming in the post and am going to do a simple photo journal-type thing of how they arrive, how they look etc. suggested by a forum buddy...I was amazed that fish were actually posted to hobbyists and a little put off initially, but have been assured that good care is given to ensure minimal stress to the fish, and this way you can get what you want when you want it, rather than having to wait on a promise from the local fish shop!. I will snap the Ilyodons at the same time...they seem to have settled in well!

Ok buddy excellent. I actually mail ordered my Betta from a bredder and was a liitle apprehensive at first also because it's not something i would usually consider. Anyways I ordered him on a Monday to be delivered by APC Couriers, and he was with me before noon the next day. The whole process was done very professionally. He was shipped in a styrofoam box, double bagged, with extra padding, an heat pad, acclimatization and feeding instructions. I would definitely recommend and order again without hesitation.
Dean.

sounds good! I am using Wildwoods this week, and a different one for my C.American cichlid group coming soon!

Hows the fish-in cycle going?

Hi, JDs4me.

You're doing the exact opposite to my fish-in cycle and from the looks of things you're almost cycled, congrats!

I really dig the decor, where did you get the celtic cross ? :good:

Dean.

Glad you like the decor; celtic cross off ebay, it has a plinth on the base - perfect for positioning securely! I'm hoping it will darken as time passes and the algae take root.

Have bought some Ilyodon xantusi today off a fellow forum member; they are acclimatising as I type! Beautiful fish, thanks to NObody Of The Goat for these excellent new arrivals!

Cool! Any pics of your new arrivals?

As requested! http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/391842-show-off-your-fish/page__view__findpost__p__3328995

sounds good! I am using Wildwoods this week, and a different one for my C.American cichlid group coming soon!

Hows the fish-in cycle going?

Hey, JDs4me.

The Fish-In cycle is doing ok, thanks.

Dean.

Hi guys, sorry to hi-jack the thread but it seemed pointless for me to start yet another fishless cycle debate when this one seems very good & current, please tell me if I'm out of order. Right I bought my kids a 54L Jewell tank 6 days ago as they were forever dragging me into the local garden centre/aquarium, it has gravel, a few plants & a load of SpongeBob Squarepants figures :rolleyes: ,(it's ok I've just picked myself up a 4ft Clear-Seal tank & stand for £20 that will be more tastefully decorated ;) ). I filled it up with water when we got it home and put it in a temporary position as I needed to build a unit for it to sit on then on Saturday I bought an API master testing kit & did the tests, results were as follows -

pH 7.6/High pH 7.4/Ammonia 0.25ppm/Nitrite 0ppm/Nitrate 5.0ppm.

On the Sunday I emptied 75% of the water out and moved it to it's permanent location,I also added some Stress Zyme+, Stress Coat+ and a pinch of flake, I then didn't get time to do any more tests until this morning when the readings were -

pH 7.6/High pH 7.4/Ammonia 0.25ppm/Nitrite 2.0ppm/Nitrate 5.0ppm

After reading some stuff on here I went out & bought some Ammonia which I added at 17:15 tonight,(used the calculator to work out the amount BUT after reading some comments here I realise that I probably got the actual amount of water in the tank wrong :eek: ), did an Ammonia test at 19:25 and it was 3-4ppm. I also turned my heater up to 30c from 23c.

Ok so some questions, when should I do more tests, ie do I wait a few days for Nitrite to appear or should I test for it now?, when should I do my next Ammonia test & when should I add more Ammonia?, when do I need to do a water change?

Sorry guys I know the answers are here somewhere but I have to say with all the differences of opinion I am getting confused again.
Once again apologies for the thread hijack :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back