Fairy Cichlid Stocking Ideas?

Ragtagcurtis

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've decided that once my tank is cycled I'm going to have 2 fairy cichlids as my main focal point in the tank, I'm guessing a Roma 125L (33 US GALLONS) couldn't house 4.

What I wanted to know is what other fish could I keep with these and in what quantities knowing the size of the tank?

I would like perhaps some colourful fish if possible. Example stockings appreciated.

Hey guys,

I've decided that once my tank is cycled I'm going to have 2 fairy cichlids as my main focal point in the tank, I'm guessing a Roma 125L (33 US GALLONS) couldn't house 4.

What I wanted to know is what other fish could I keep in these and in what quantities knowing the size of the tank?

I would like perhaps some colourful fish if possible. Example stockings appreciated.

Any help?

Hey guys,

What I wanted to know is what other fish could I keep in these and in what quantities knowing the size of the tank?

Any help?

I think it probably is too small for a group.

How about:
2 Fairy Cichlid
10-15 of a schooling species (Harlequins Rasboras?)
1 Small plec
3 1m 2f honey gouramis

Hey guys,

Any help?

How about:
2 Fairy Cichlid
1 Small plec
3 1m 2f honey gouramis

That sounds interesting and is a possibility. Not really into pleco's as I've heard even the small ones grow quite big. Perhaps I'd replace that with something else.

Hey guys,

Any help?

How about:
2 Fairy Cichlid
1 Small plec
3 1m 2f honey gouramis

That sounds interesting and is a possibility. Not really into pleco's as I've heard even the small ones grow quite big. Perhaps I'd replace that with something else.

Depends how big you're talking. Bulldog plecs only grow about 5 inches, not much bigger than the fairies. Many other small ones, look on the plec section and there's a list of small ones.

Is it a sand substrate? Maybe cories?

Hey guys,

Any help?

How about:
2 Fairy Cichlid
1 Small plec
3 1m 2f honey gouramis

Depends how big you're talking. Bulldog plecs only grow about 5 inches, not much bigger than the fairies. Many other small ones, look on the plec section and there's a list of small ones.

Is it a sand substrate? Maybe cories?

I was thinking of some panda cory's myself. But they need to be in groups of at least 6, would they be ok with the stocking you have suggested?
Yes it's sand.

Thanks

Lower the school to say 8, 10 max and I think 6 cories should be ok

Ok thanks. Think this is the way I may go. Would Galaxy Rasboras be ok instead of Harlequins Rasboras?

I'm now currently thinking (with your help)

2 fairy cichlids
10 Galaxy Rasboras
3 Gouramis
5-6 Small Cory's

Any other possibilities welcome :hyper:

Ok thanks. Think this is the way I may go. Would Galaxy Rasboras be ok instead of Harlequins Rasboras?

I'm now currently thinking (with your help)

2 fairy cichlids
10 Galaxy Rasboras
3 Gouramis
5-6 Small Cory's

Any other possibilities welcome :hyper:

I think they would be ok, never had any, but as long as they aren't too small to be eaten by the fairies, then they would be fine.

I have 4 fairies in the same tank you mention along with a pair of bristlenoses, a pair of dwarf gourami's, 3 balloon mollies, a male swordtail and a male platty. there is also a single puppy and a single neon. Also have two Apple snails. Stocking seems.fine.to me, everything has its own space and place in the tank. Provide plenty of rocks and some caves for the fairies.

If by fairy cichlids you are referring to Brichardi Cichlid, I would be hesitant to add much in the way of other fishes.
Brichardi Need hard alkaline water, lot's of rock caves, and are some of the meanest of the cichlids should a pair form and decide to spawn.
I kept a pair of these cichlids in 55 gallon with firemouth,convict,and blue acara and all was well while the Brichardi were small.As fate would have it, they were indeed male/female, and at around four months old and close to two and a half inches,they decided to spawn and quickly sent the other fishes to the upper corner of the tank.Once the fry were born, they began attacking the much larger fishes any time they ventured away from the corner of the tank.Was not a very enjoyable tank in my opinion.
I then set up a twenty gallon tank for the Brichard who were the only resident's other than they're fry.
Certainly would not add cory's or Bristlenose who could end up missing eyes, fins,and be constantly under attack in the scenario I mentioned(spawning).

Would not add dwarf gourami who prefer softer water than the Brichardi and would also note that Brichardi are capable of reproducing much the way of livebearer's both in numbers and frequency. this could place a large load on the filter with just the fry numbers.
Some food for thought.

I have 4 fairies in the same tank you mention along with a pair of bristlenoses, a pair of dwarf gourami's, 3 balloon mollies, a male swordtail and a male platty. there is also a single puppy and a single neon. Also have two Apple snails. Stocking seems.fine.to me, everything has its own space and place in the tank. Provide plenty of rocks and some caves for the fairies.

That sounds encouraging have any of yours paired?

If by fairy cichlids you are referring to Brichardi Cichlid, I would be hesitant to add much in the way of other fishes.
Brichardi Need hard alkaline water, lot's of rock caves, and are some of the meanest of the cichlids should a pair form and decide to spawn.
I kept a pair of these cichlids in 55 gallon with firemouth,convict,and blue acara and all was well while the Brichardi were small.As fate would have it, they were indeed male/female, and at around four months old and close to two and a half inches,they decided to spawn and quickly sent the other fishes to the upper corner of the tank.Once the fry were born, they began attacking the much larger fishes any time they ventured away from the corner of the tank.Was not a very enjoyable tank in my opinion.
I then set up a twenty gallon tank for the Brichard who were the only resident's other than they're fry.
Certainly would not add cory's or Bristlenose who could end up missing eyes, fins,and be constantly under attack in the scenario I mentioned(spawning).

Would not add dwarf gourami who prefer softer water than the Brichardi and would also note that Brichardi are capable of reproducing much the way of livebearer's both in numbers and frequency. this could place a large load on the filter with just the fry numbers.
Some food for thought.

certainly something to consider thankyou. I would try and get two males if possible as they are not the most difficult fish to sex.

I would say i have 2 males and 2 females. The 'group' are very much just that, a group. They have shown no aggression to any of their current tank mates at all. Mine seem so docile especially with their elegant flowing finnage. They are 99% of the time together in the middle of the lower half of the tank. Mine have never spawned so i can't comment on their breeding behaviour. I got mine from a friend who managed to get them to breed quite easily when he first had them but they have never done so since. The only time mines have demonstrated any chasing behaviour is when i added a pair of kribs to the tank a few months ago. As for water quality, they seem pretty adaptable to most situations. I am unsure as to what mine is, but they are showing brilliant colouration with vivid blue eyes and the yellow markings around the eyes also. It maybe not suitable for breeding conditions, but they are healthy and happy which is all i am bothered about. Mine are probably about fully grown now and other than the ruby shark i have in with them they are the biggest fish in the tank and still show no aggression to anything, even my sole remaining neon. Maybe you just got an aggressive pair? You also kept them in with American Cichlids which wasn't ideal imo.

Cheers. David.

I would say i have 2 males and 2 females. The 'group' are very much just that, a group. They have shown no aggression to any of their current tank mates at all. Mine seem so docile especially with their elegant flowing finnage. They are 99% of the time together in the middle of the lower half of the tank. Mine have never spawned so i can't comment on their breeding behaviour. I got mine from a friend who managed to get them to breed quite easily when he first had them but they have never done so since. The only time mines have demonstrated any chasing behaviour is when i added a pair of kribs to the tank a few months ago. As for water quality, they seem pretty adaptable to most situations. I am unsure as to what mine is, but they are showing brilliant colouration with vivid blue eyes and the yellow markings around the eyes also. It maybe not suitable for breeding conditions, but they are healthy and happy which is all i am bothered about. Mine are probably about fully grown now and other than the ruby shark i have in with them they are the biggest fish in the tank and still show no aggression to anything, even my sole remaining neon. Maybe you just got an aggressive pair? You also kept them in with American Cichlids which wasn't ideal imo.

Cheers. David.

My water parameter's suited species being kept at the time, but perhaps a little soft for the brichardi .
In any event they spawned frequently, and I was able to sell the young fry to help pay for foods,supplies.

Most reactions

Back