Expensive Corys.

I was just wonder how rare Amapa Cories are consided to be? They were they only type of cory I could find in the area, I love 'um though! I think I paid something like US$2.80.

Do you have a picture of the "Amapa" Cory, these trade names are if nothing else confusing and actually don't have any credence at all.

Ian

I'll try to get a picture as soon as possible. I got them at Wal-Mart believe it or not. It's only place to get fish within 100 miles. Anyway, they had them labeled as "Assorted Corydoras" whatever that means. But I looked them up in my Aquarium Atlas by Dr. Rudiger Riehl & Hans A. Baensch, Volume 3, pp 328-329.

Corydoras amapaensis Or Amapa cory.

I confirmed this by doing some research on the internet where I learned that these fish stand out because they sport three pairs of barbels instead of usual two. Mine diffinately have three pairs of barbels.

I don't know, perhaps they've been renamed. Again, I'll try to get a pic.

Matt

Here's a pic. Certainly not the best, but it'll do, I think.

I have a few more, if would like to see them.

man we must have the best cory shop near us

we can get those lazer's for just a few quid, shed loads of rare cory's and they can get hold of plenty of stuff for you. Never seen any of them over a fiver. Someone said the other day julii should be about £8, mine were £2.50! :D
Which shop do you mean - I'm near Leeds?

The picture show a variation of Corydoras aeneus, this is the true Corydoras amapaensis, which you will see is a long snouted species.

corydoras_amapaensis_species_large.jpg

The third rictal barbel is very small as shown here.
corydoras_amapaensis_species_large.jpg

This actually means the the species has 4 pairs of barbels, three in the upper jaw and one pair on the lower.

Ian

Hey, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know that Corydoras aeneus could be so varied.

The picture show a variation of Corydoras aeneus, this is the true Corydoras amapaensis, which you will see is a long snouted species.

The third rictal barbel is very small as shown here.

This actually means the the species has 4 pairs of barbels, three in the upper jaw and one pair on the lower.

Ian

Are you the same Ian from corydorasworld.com?

Most reactions

Back