Discus

Aussie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
any1 who has a discus or knows sum info in them i would like to no plz as i am thinkin of buying 2.

ok heres what i know....... They grow to 8 inches(20cm) they are carnivores they should be kept in a single species tank and take up the middle and lower region of the tank.
If you are thinking of breeding, it would be best to leave fry in with the parents because they feed off of their skin secretions.
They are also quite peaceful.
Does this help at all?

yes thanks for the helpful info. do u know if thy r hard to look after.

Also, unless you are buying a breeding pair, you should probably have more than 2.

They like high tempatures, like 85F. They need clean water and not a lot of movement and a big, understocked tank. They are peaceful but can get a bit aggro with each other at times.

ok thanks dont they also need high acidic water aswell

do u think 1 male and 2 female discus will be to big for a 3 ft tank

Aussie said:
do u think 1 male and 2 female discus will be to big for a 3 ft tank
Way too big, I wouldn't put any discus in there. IMO it is too small to house them comfortably. Is this the same tank you have another topic about?

They should be kept in groups of 4+ but need a lot of space to allow fir that. When I got my discus, I met the parents of mine and they were fricken h-u-g-e!!! I couldn't believe it. I reckon they are going to end up in my 5ft (320l) tank by themselves when they grow!

yer cheese specalist is ur discus hard to look after. they look good and healthy

Hey, got your PM. Thought I would answer it here, if that is ok...

hey i was wondering if ur discus are very hard to look after like do u have to clean the tank every 3 weeks and can u have catfish with them and tetras. would a 3ft by 1ft tank be too small for the discus.

I have not had them long enough yet and as soon as I got them, 2 of my angels bred in the tank and I had to move them temporarily. They've only been back in the cube a few days. Clean the tank every 3 weeks? What do you mean by that? Discus require nice clean water and regular water changes and understocking will help with this. I do water changes weekly in all my tanks because I have good tapwater. Most do more changes, many do daily. It depends what kind of catfish you mean, they must be peaceful and high-tempature tolerant, neons may get eaten but cardinals and rummy nose tetra are good with discus.

Yes, I think your tank is too small for discus. Even without the other occupants. Sorry.

yer thats all right i thought so because i may just go for a angel fish set up instead.

also wat fish r in ur pic for ur community tank the 4 ft 1 it looks great.

Aussie said:
also wat fish r in ur pic for ur community tank the 4 ft 1 it looks great.
The 4ft tank has:

12 x cories
5 x tiger barbs
4 x otos
4 x x-ray tetra
3 x glo-light tetra
2 x weather loach
2 x black bellied limia
2 x kribensis
1 x sailfin molly
1 x rainbow shark
1 x kissing gourami
1 x rosy barb

It's actually pretty overstocked but there's physicaly room for everyone and my parameters are great.

Thanks for the comment about my tank. :blush:

Be careful with making it an angel fish set-up, it's not very big. You could maybe have 2 in there but they can't go with barbs.

Most reactions

Back