Cycling!

If the tank isn't needed in an emergency (in which case you just have to hope for the best) I 'prove' my tanks by letting them sit with a pinch of fish food in for a week or so; test that I have an ammonia reading and add my matured media last thing at night. Then I test again first thing in the morning, and if the ammonia's gone, you know you're good to go.

I thought of that too since decomposing fish food is a source of ammonia. Hmm but that would mean going down to the LFS twice. I doubt I actually have the time though :X

I think I'll go with what This Old Spouse says - run the tank with the filter media (I keep wanting to spell media filter argh!) for a while before adding fish. May have more risks but I don't mind doing frequent water changes.

If the tank isn't needed in an emergency (in which case you just have to hope for the best) I 'prove' my tanks by letting them sit with a pinch of fish food in for a week or so; test that I have an ammonia reading and add my matured media last thing at night. Then I test again first thing in the morning, and if the ammonia's gone, you know you're good to go.

I thought of that too since decomposing fish food is a source of ammonia. Hmm but that would mean going down to the LFS twice. I doubt I actually have the time though :X

I think I'll go with what This Old Spouse says - run the tank with the filter media (I keep wanting to spell media filter argh!) for a while before adding fish. May have more risks but I don't mind doing frequent water changes.

Well - if I understood that correctly - if you are taking established media from an existing, cycled tank - and you are not going to test it for a few days by adding ammonia - you might as well add some fish after a few hours and see how they do (rather than "run the tank with the filter media for a while before adding fish"). Just test the water quality daily for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels and you'll know quickly if it's working.

I'm of the opinion that adding fish with established media is fine.

Well - if I understood that correctly - if you are taking established media from an existing, cycled tank - and you are not going to test it for a few days by adding ammonia - you might as well add some fish after a few hours and see how they do (rather than "run the tank with the filter media for a while before adding fish"). Just test the water quality daily for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels and you'll know quickly if it's working.

I'm of the opinion that adding fish with established media is fine.

We're saying the same thing differently. Adding the fish "after a few hours and see how they do" is the same as "run the tank with the filter media for a while before adding fish" don't you think?
w00t.gif

Yes - Spouse - we are in the same camp. I got the impression the OP was going to let the established filter run for days without anything, which is not good.

Whoops! Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Yeah I mean't for a few hours before adding fish :) alright I feel slightly more confident about this now! Thanks all for the help and advice :lol:

Yes - Spouse - we are in the same camp. I got the impression the OP was going to let the established filter run for days without anything, which is not good.

Yep, I'm right with you on that thought. There needs to be some kind of food for the bacteria to eat, otherwise you'll be starting from scratch.

The way I've done it is to set up the tank, put the filter and heater in it, add the mature media, let it run for an hour or two just to mix things up, then add fish. I'll do a 50% water change daily for several days as well, just to be on the safe side. So far, so good.

Yep, I'm right with you on that thought. There needs to be some kind of food for the bacteria to eat, otherwise you'll be starting from scratch.

The way I've done it is to set up the tank, put the filter and heater in it, add the mature media, let it run for an hour or two just to mix things up, then add fish. I'll do a 50% water change daily for several days as well, just to be on the safe side. So far, so good.

Thanks This Old Spouse :) I'll follow what you say and see how it goes. Just wondering if you do water changesvthat often, would you end up stressing the fish too much?

Household ammonia can be found anywhere.. Usually in with the cleaning products. If it bubbles don't use it.. :/

But it looks like you have it figured out now. :p

Household ammonia can be found anywhere.. Usually in with the cleaning products. If it bubbles don't use it.. :/

Why can't you use ammonia that bubbles. I just bought some from Dollar Tree...it smells like ammonia (no lemon scent) and it says pure ammonia on the label. I shook it and there's some foam on top.

Why can't you use ammonia that bubbles. I just bought some from Dollar Tree...it smells like ammonia (no lemon scent) and it says pure ammonia on the label. I shook it and there's some foam on top.

Bubbles or foam means there is detergent in it.
Tiny air bubbles are different.

Just wondering if you do water changesvthat often, would you end up stressing the fish too much?
No; water changes don't seem to stress fish out that much; especially if you teach them not to mind; a few bloodworms once you've finished usually does the trick! ;)

If you're only putting a few shrimp in then the filter will definitely be able to handle it. Shrimp don't add much to the bioload...

Just wondering if you do water changesvthat often, would you end up stressing the fish too much?
No; water changes don't seem to stress fish out that much; especially if you teach them not to mind; a few bloodworms once you've finished usually does the trick! ;)

Ah I see. But I heard bloodworms make the water dirty? Is there anything else I could give them? Handling worms freaks me out too heh. Dead or alive.

If you're only putting a few shrimp in then the filter will definitely be able to handle it. Shrimp don't add much to the bioload...

Alright. I may have 4 fish in there too though.

Most reactions

Back